Lathe Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Grease

My Wabeco D6000E has grease zerks all over. I called markus at MD Prcision, the distributor & he said use any grase. I really don't want to do that. I want the best I can get & clean as possible. I've used white lithim before. Can anyone suggest the best grease for this? Thanks!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

I'm not sure "best" and "clean" go together - especially where molybdenum disulphide (moly) is involved. High Moly containing greases (60%+) are among the best performing greases generally available. Filthy black though.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

are you sure they are not for oil? Most times you find a zerk on a machine its for oil not grease....find a manual or you risk the classic newbie mistake of filling it up with grease .....and the only way out of that is complete disassembly and cleaning (don't ask how i know )
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Is this the machine:

Wabeco D6000E

If so I'd agree with Mcgyver, probably shouldn't use grease at all.

My Millrite milling machine had been used by someone that loaded it up with grease. A real pain to get cleaned out so that I could oil the ways.

Jeff

Comment

My Bridgeport clone has a zerk fitting on the head. I've read about more than a few people who didn't know better and just assumed because of that zerk they needed to use grease. Even if you had the experience to totally disassemble one of these heads, It would be a huge time consumeing PITA. Without that experience? It's going to be an huge expen$ive PITA to pay someone else to do it. I'd very much doubt those fittings on your lathe are for grease. Your lathe would be simple enough that an end user could do the grease clean up, But it's still gonna be more than a long job that shouldn't need to be done anyway.

I don't play around with lubrication anymore. I once screwed up a $700 motor on a Emco lathe by using 90 wt gear oil for lubricating the gear train bushings, The oil wasn't light enough to flush out any wear particals, Due to the drag from the heavy wt. oil, It then created some heat and the oil dried out a bit and started creating some really excessive drag on the motor, But only while the power feed was engaged. $700 worth of magic smoke released is an expensive way to learn that using the proper factory recommended lubrication is dirt cheap.

I'd go online and see if there's a manual for your lathe, If not. I'd order one.

Pete

Comment

Yes thats it except mine has a factory transformer from 240V to 120V. 9 grease fittings & 4 places to oil as per the manual & the owner of MDA who says use any grease? It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.
            ~ James Madison

Comment

The zerks are for oil and way oil works best there.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

The Wabeco manual states

"....nipples with a grease gun and standard roller bearing grease"

also bed, dovetails and tailstock sleeve "with the help of an oil can using standard lubricating oil"

I'll not post scans because it is copyright

So you have plenty of opertunity to choose between available and favourite grease and oil.
                "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                  Yes thats it except mine has a factory transformer from 240V to 120V. 9 grease fittings & 4 places to oil as per the manual & the owner of MDA who says use any grease? It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.
                  lol where/when I grew all the dairy farms were one man dairies. Hard working guys 7 days a week 365 a year from when they started until they retired.

Your first post didn't mention a manual and referenced a distributor....any particular distributor is guaranteed to have a knowledge level somewhere between 0-10 on a scale of 1-10...but if you have a manual that's different.....if it says grease in the manual, have at it, specific to the fittings it says to use grease with....point being many have made the error including me of seeing a grease fitting and using grease

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                    It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.
                    he he he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQxuUEMiV8

all the best.marklj

Comment

If you use grease

If you use grease make sure it's compatable with the grease already there. I know from the mining industry everytime we changed suppliers we had to make sure that the greases were compatable with what we already had. If not they would break down into basicly dirty water and soap.

Good luck,
                      Ken

Comment

My lathe uses grease on the ways, feed screws and tail stock quill. The factory recommended Mobil 1 synthetic grease and not to lube it any more than once every two weeks.
                        Mark Hockett

Comment

Can you PM me with where you got that manual? Mine is 50 pgs & doesn't say that. Mine came from MDA. Thanks!

[/I]
                          Originally posted by Davidhcnc
                          The Wabeco manual states

"....nipples with a grease gun and standard roller bearing grease"

also bed, dovetails and tailstock sleeve "with the help of an oil can using standard lubricating oil"

I'll not post scans because it is copyright

So you have plenty of opertunity to choose between available and favourite grease and oil.
                          ~ James Madison

Comment

I've always liked seeing nipples on most things!!

Comment

Here is what happens when you use grease when you should use oil

This is from my DSG rebuild. Notice the worm gear in upper center with the teeth worn off from lack of lubrication.
                              Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Working...
                              X