My BS update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BS update

I bought an old small metal cutting BS and have been slowly modifying/improving its operation.

Blade cooling.
    Tank made from 6" PVC pipe holds 6.5 L of coolant

A Small Aquarium pump drives the fluid around the circuit. Power for the pump comes from a socket from motor switch

Mk II version of tank with fluid level window and click hose fittings for easy tank servicing.

Coolant nozzles before and after the cut
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

2) Handle upgrade to make adjustments easier

Comment

3) Improved/easier adjustment on Vice including being able to bring vice jaws right up close to the blade for small pieces.

Everything works good.

Comment

You might want to make sure the pump is off the bottom of the tank by several inches and there is a baffle to direct incoming water away from the pump. The rotor on those pumps is a pretty strong magnet and is exposed to the fluid. Magnetic particles and magnets in tight tolerances do not go well together.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
          You might want to make sure the pump is off the bottom of the tank by several inches and there is a baffle to direct incoming water away from the pump. The rotor on those pumps is a pretty strong magnet and is exposed to the fluid. Magnetic particles and magnets in tight tolerances do not go well together.
          Pump sits on a 1/2" thick piece of plastic above the bottom of the tank.
          2 REE magnets are located next to the outlet of the gutter and there's one at the bottom of the tank.
          I have a similar setup on my lathe (except the pump is about 3 times more powerful) which has been running successfully for about 12 months.
          Very little metal is evident on the magnet inside the tank.
          Last edited by BobL; 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Damn, that is some really nice work! Simple, common parts, looks very effective. what more could you want? I love the vise adjustment! I may just go make a plate with a setscrew in it for that very perpose soon..
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Agree with Black Moons, well thought out use of basic materials,, thanks for posting this.

Comment

Cheers Guys.

I use PVC pipe for a lot of things. Here are a couple of other examples.

The two painted containers are chainsaw mill auxiliary oil tanks - the deliver a drip of oil onto the chain near the nose of the bar. The non painted containers on the right are my welding rod storage containers. They are made of storm water pipe.

Comment

That's a really good idea putting the auxiliary oil tank on your chainsaw mill, I'm certainly going to steal that one. Nice work.
                  West Sussex UK

Comment

lol at painting PVC with metalic paint. thats good one :0
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith
                      That's a really good idea putting the auxiliary oil tank on your chainsaw mill, I'm certainly going to steal that one. Nice work.
                      That's a very common thing to do on a chainsaw mill. On my big all aluminium mill I have an aluminium tank.

Comment

why do you cool after the cut?

Comment

Originally posted by dian
                          why do you cool after the cut?
                          Probably intended to wash chips from the blade before they're carried on around. Some larger saws have small rotating brushes for this duty.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

dian the coolant after the cut is JUST in-case he put the blade on upside down
                            Some great ideas Bob, thanks for sharing.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                            Oregon Coast

Comment

i have scrapers on the blade after the cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X