No announcement yet.

The smell of my home shop, is it odd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found that different smells in the shop become prominent at different tempreatures throughout the seasons, not that I ever gave it much thought but I have noticed it.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
      I've found that different smells in the shop become prominent at different tempreatures throughout the seasons, not that I ever gave it much thought but I have noticed it.

JL.................
      Yep, the rats that have partaken of the green pellets from the brown boxes sure smell more potent as they decay in the summer time.
      Cheers,
      Gary

Comment

Smells

I've been doing some work on my sawmill lately.
        Been milling up some Western Red Cedar, jeez I like that smell.
        Came in the house after a day of milling that, got my arm and leather watchband up around my nose, got a whiff, smelled of sweat, and Cedar sawdust . Thought to myself "jeez, I stink" then changed my mind "No, I actually like that, that smells like good old fashioned honest, WORK".

Comment

Abner:

thanks for the reply and the link. I didn't really know what happened until I was in my 20's, and then the rest of the story in my 40's. I grew up very introverted, shy, and wondering what I did that made my father leave and abandon my mother and I. Only later did I find out that he was told to leave or someone would kill him. I'll be 58 this year and to my knowledge he's never even tried to make contact. I'm sure I'm better off without him, but would still like to see justice done for my mother.

thanks again,
          Ken

Comment

My fondest memory related to smell is that of gunpowder that hung in the damp air after the first covey rise in the morning.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

I have an acute sense of smell, sometimes a blessing, normally not (Phew!). Everything around me has a unique smell, providing daily confirmation the world is still in order.

That being said, I also sometimes smell scents that evoke strong memories, almost always of times and places long ago, seldom remembered. When I can, I savor those moments, those little mental treasures and roll them over in my mind. I know those memories are always present, but it takes the 'key' of the right smell to 'unlock the door' (they're probably stored right next to the Deja Vu storage area ).

Sometimes I renew my "memory bank" of smell; every time I stand at the edge of the ocean, smell the oncoming rain on the wind or hold my wife close. All evoke emotion in the core of my soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
                My fondest memory related to smell is that of gunpowder that hung in the damp air after the first covey rise in the morning.

Ah yes the smell of gun powder and fireworks. I used to pick up spent shells just the smell them.
                Andy

Comment

Agree with many of the smells posted,,, one of my favourites right now at this time of year is when the breeze changes and blows the fragrant smell of lilacs around my shop door.

Comment

In the late 40's, at about age 10 an "army surplus" store opened in town.....First time I walked in the smell of cosmoline and canvas struck me.....Long before modern fabrics web belts, holsters, rucksacks and ammo pouches were made from tightly woven fabric that was treated to resist mold and rot.....Whatever it might have been it was pungent.....I came across some of those items a few years ago that had been stored in a closed container.....One whiff and I was taken back to that surplus store in Hammond, IN.....I guess you could call that nasal/mental time travel.....

One especially pleasant memory was of large paper drums filled with bolt action military rifles, dozens of them, for cheap.....My dad was not at all sympathetic to my pleas to buy one or two of them.....

Jim

Comment

You don't get it these days at race meetings with the synthetic oils but I sure miss the smell of Castrol R that used to be everywhere on race day.
                      Lilac, hyactnth, wild roses. Fresh baked bread, but especially Castrol R Peter
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

JackD i fully understand what you say about missing your'e wife,, i lost mine in 2000 also from ALS.

A BRUTAL disease!!

Comment

One smell i dislike to this day is the smell of grinding cast iron.

Almost 50 years ago now i had job grinding Forklift counter weights, a stinkin dusty job.(worked at it for two nights then told them to shove it!)

That smell i always remember.

Comment

Originally posted by gcude
                            Yep, the rats that have partaken of the green pellets from the brown boxes sure smell more potent as they decay in the summer time.
                            Ain't no rats in my shop!

JL.............

Comment

One of the classic smells of old electronics is that of the dust on the tubes cooking the first time the gear is turned on after a long rest.

Comment

Our 6 month old dawg decided that she will use my shop for her toilet. After numerous unsuccessful attempts at various modes of coercion I tried tabasco in a spray bottle. That got her out of the shed but then she decide on dumping on the front door step of the shop. More tabasco, then the back door, More tabasco. So now you know what my home shop smells of.

Comment

Working...
                                X