Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool storage for my lathe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tool storage for my lathe

    Being a woodworker long before getting the machinst or metal working bug has provided skills to be able to build a tool chest for my old lathe. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.



    The chest is 18" deep, 24" high and 36" wide. It just fits in the roller stand for the lathe. I accumulated so much tooling I needed a convient place to store and access those tools.
    Its made with 3/4 Oak veneer plywood with cherry face frame and solid cherry drawer fronts. The parameter of the drawer edges are beaded with oak. Its is stained with a Pecan
    oil stain and dark shellec to warm up the finish. 3 coats of semigloss varnish for some durability from the oils and swarf.






    I also installed the Blum 75# self closing bottom mounted drawer suspensions.

    Now that I have aquired a small mill I'll need to make something for it as well. Oh well it keeps me out of trouble!!!

    Regards.

    Skipd1

  • #2
    Beautiful. It really fits nicely with the lathe.

    Comment


    • #3
      Beautiful woodwork and beautiful lathe.
      I think the set belongs upstairs in the living room but that's just me.
      Mike

      My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice. Are you going to make a multi-draw tool chest to match.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

        Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

        Southwestern Ontario. Canada

        Comment


        • #5

          Sa-weeeet!

          Comment


          • #6
            Beautiful cabinet, stand and lathe!! Great looking piece of work.

            Can you give us a bit of info on the lathe?

            (You don't see many cabinets like that anymore, years ago a number of people made their own, which was quite common, and i still see at times mostly in "Fine Woodworking" gorgeous cabinets with drawers, those cabinets are surely something to treasure and pass on.)

            Be sure you sign and date it somewere, unless you already have.

            Comment


            • #7
              That is a very nice looking setup!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sasquatch
                Beautiful cabinet, stand and lathe!! Great looking piece of work.

                Can you give us a bit of info on the lathe?

                (You don't see many cabinets like that anymore, years ago a number of people made their own, which was quite common, and i still see at times mostly in "Fine Woodworking" gorgeous cabinets with drawers, those cabinets are surely something to treasure and pass on.)

                Be sure you sign and date it somewere, unless you already have.
                Here is the link to my thread on rebuilding my lathe, thanks:
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=51545

                Skipd1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok Skip i remember the posting now after reading the thread.

                  Thanks for posting the nice pics.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    great job, looks perfect with that lathe
                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Can I have it when you die please ?
                      .

                      Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Very nice indeed! You do good work.

                        That would really look good in quarter sawn white oak.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fit's it to a T I'd say.
                          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                          country, in easy stages."
                          ~ James Madison

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lynnl
                            Very nice indeed! You do good work.

                            That would really look good in quarter sawn white oak.
                            Sorry to hijack the thread but as a confirmed wood butcher, MDF, glue and nails, I have seen references to quarter swan timber before but don't know what it is, can someone explain in simple terminology please ?
                            .

                            Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              Sorry to hijack the thread but as a confirmed wood butcher, MDF, glue and nails, I have seen references to quarter swan timber before but don't know what it is, can someone explain in simple terminology please ?
                              John-


                              When the wood is sawed exactly 90 degrees to the way normal hardwood lumber is sawn, it allows the rays in the wood grain to be much more pronounced and almost looks like tiger stripes in some oakes. These rays really show up in white oak and look even more pronounced when the wood is stained and finished!

                              Skipd1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X