How do you store large drill bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store large drill bits?

I'm not a flea market shopper, but once in a while, my wife talks me into going to one. We've been to 2 flea markets in the last 3 years. At both, I stumbled across a large box of American made morse taper drill bits. These apparently don't sell we'll because no one can figure out how to use them in their cordless drill. Anyhow, today's score was a large box of easily over 100 drills, ranging from smallish to 1" in morse 1&2 taper. Plus some reamers. Guy wanted 50 cents a piece, but took $10 for the whole box. Some are worthless, but many are new or almost new. (I also got a nice old, but never used condition, dial type 0-175 lbs torque wrench. $30)

So, I now have a pretty big collection of these large bits. I don't want them just banging around in a pile in a drawer, but I obviously don't have an index large enough for all of them. So I'm just curious how you creative folks are storing these things.

The ones at school are stored in the tubes they came in. It would be
    nice to use some cardboard tubes with the end closed and labeled on
    the sides with a big black numbers of the sizes. The telescoping ones
    they come in would be GREAT but I don't know of any place to buy them. How about using PVC pipe and gluing caps on one end, the
    other removable?
    ...Lew...

Comment

I used pieces of 2" square tubing. Drill holes in them to stand the bits upright. I think the top hole needed to be 1/32" smaller than the bottom hole to keep them from rattling too much. Then just attach the 2" tubing to some wall brackets, bench top, whatever...

Andrew

Comment

Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Comment

I sandwiched two 1"X 2" rails between two pieces of plywood, then drilled a bunch of holes thru it to hold the drills. Then put two more 1" X 2" rails under it for clearance.

Comment

I drilled a 13 x 9 grid of holes in the base of an up-turned cabinet drawer, then cut a MT2 taper in them using a chopped-up 16mm MT2 taper drill put in my drill chuck backwards.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by nitsuj
                I don't want them just banging around in a pile in a drawer,........... So I'm just curious how you creative folks are storing these things.
                Yeah, I just can't believe how SOME people mistreat their tools. You'd think they would know better.

Here's how I store mine:

A big index is on my to do list, but life keeps getting in the way. So for now I just open and close the drawer SLOWLY.

Thanks to all of you for showing your solutions - one of these days - when my ship comes in - in my spare time - as soon as I can etc.

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

At great expense of time and material I have made a well organised storage unit to hold my drills in ascending order of size.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'm sooooooo sorry John.

I had no idea I could let my drills get so disorganized so I went right out and dumped them all on the floor!

LOL, you really made my day!

Thanks too for the nice way you introduced your photo!
                    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

I've come into the same problem yet again. I recently acquired 20 lbs or so of drill bits and taps, some dies, many punches and cold chisels, etc. I've been de-rusting them in evapo-rust, partly to rejuvenate them, but also to see how long the bath of evapo will last. It turned black with the first use, but it's still active so I'll keep using it till it's toast.

Anyway, now I have quite a few more bits and taps to store. While Johns method is elegantly simple and effective, I think I'll try to come up with a pleated drawer liner of some type. Just something to keep them from rolling side to side. Chances are if you walk around a building supply store you will find something which can be used to make low-height dividers in one way or another.

Some of the drawers I've built have a sliding upper layer in them, which is full width but about half the interior length of the drawer. If you slide it forward you can access the back half of the bottom- sliding it backwards you can access the front half of the bottom. The slider then gives about a half-drawer of extra capacity. For tools and things that are relatively low in height when laid out horizontally (like drill bits) it works well.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Not elegant, but I don't have to rummage to find a particular size since they're all in order. Take one out, it leaves a space, easy to see where to put it back.

Comment

At work we have them layed out on a shelf, drill bit cutting end pointing away.

Pro tip: Use a small engraver or similar to mark the drill bit size on the leaf of the Morse shank on both sides, makes it easy to see and almost impossible to "get rid of". Usually the older bits show so much wear on the shanks that the laser markings are gone.
                          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I like the drawer or tray method myself. Indexes are great except that they take up a lot of valuable flat surface area...a rare commodity in my small workspace. I can cord 100 drill bits in the area it takes to index 10. My more common smaller size bits are in indexes but I also have lots of spares piled up in drawers for when one gets lost from the index.

Comment

Say what you like about John's drill storage but it is very efficent storage in terms of drills per cubic foot/meter.

I wouldn't like to guess how much "proper" drill storage he'd need if they were cossetted in swadling clothes and cotton wool.

Being HSS or better there's not much damage that any of those drills might do to each other.

There is a limit to what may be called a "reasonable" amount or number of drills (and some other stuff too).

If you can't find stuff and/or badly need more storage space it might be reasonable to see just how many you really do need - and then do some serious culling.

Comment

Working...
                              X