what is the best way to sell machinery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to sell machinery

I have a small lathe (9 x 20) I would like to sell, no this is not an ad, what is the best way to go about it.

I have placed it on Craigslist but they limit you to one location which in my case is mostly farm country and a small city near by. This limits the number of potential buyers. Since this is a one time thing, going to E-bay, which I don't use anyway, is not an option. Local sales ads (newspapers) have the same viewing area as Craigslist so there isn't much in that either.

Isn't there a better way to get the word out. Manual machinery, for sale, is scares in this area and there always seem to be someone looking for it but getting in touch with potential buyers is a pita.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

The last couple ads I put on GL got me a lot of responses from women(?) wanting to meet for drinks, wanting me to sign up on a chat site, or wanting me to look at dirty pictures. I also got several offers for "loans". I got zero responses relating to the items I was trying to sell.

The scumbags can and will ruin anything.
    Last edited by winchman; 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Faced with that problem a dozen years ago, I thought long and hard about how much I really needed the money, and found a worthy institution ready to accept a donation. Since then I've given to friends or donated all my old tools as they have been squeezed out of the shop by newcomers.

By now, that amounts to an ancient 11" Southbend lathe, an 11" Taiwanese lathe, 6" disk/belt sander, 6" jointer, a table saw, a couple of old ShopSmiths, and lots of small things.

Call it "paying forward," or whatever you want - as I grow older, it seems more like the thing to do all the time.
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

Could there have been a misprint on your handle? Wenchman???
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Is there and auctioneer near you that does machinery? If so try to put it in one of his auctions. You may want to put a minimum on it or the house may buy it for cheap unless he is an honest auctioneer.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

loose nut,, what about Kijiji Ontario?

I'd personally stay away from auctions,, good place to be if your'e "BUYING" , but if your'e selling you can go to a lot of work moving it there, then either it doesn;t sell past the reserve you have on it, then you end up moving it back again.

Auctions up in my area are slowly fading out,, low prices, plus commissions have to be paid, a lot of set up time, and of course the advertising has to be paid for,,, all OUT of the sales.

Comment

We have a "Trading Post" around here. It is a newspaper sort of local magazine started out by a group of teachers. It is all want ads and for sales. You list your item,and pay a percentage to the Trading Post after the item gets sold. It is very handy,and I've bought and sold several things over the years.

You could try putting an ad in your local newspaper,though many don't subscribe to them anymore.

On the other hand,I,too,have given many tools to worthy aspiring newer craftsmen in Colonial Williamsburg,where I was a master for 39 years.

Comment

You could list it on Ebay Classified. Do a google search and it should come up, not the regular ebay. I've sold a few small items there. Also try listing in on CL at the nearest large town, that may get more reaction.

Ken

Comment

Second the use of Kijiji. You can place the same ads in different locations - say larger towns near you, and TO?

Perhaps McGyver could chip in as he is the pro around here. One thing I have decided that sells items are photographs, good ones, of a really clean machine. No junk lying around. All the accessories listed.

Good luck.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2
                    Perhaps McGyver could chip in as he is the pro around here.
                    lol got to be good at something right? shoulda been use machinery dealer

I agree the pics are hugely important, I put a bunch of effort into them. Pick a reasonable price (don't just guess, do some research so you price is defensible) then be patient....you have to wait for the buyer of whatever you have happens along. might be months - I want the guy who searches for what i have 2 months from now, not the one who's ready to come tearing over the afternoon i put the add up...the former is a qualified and will pay a reasonable price, the later is a toolaholic's price induced fit (kind of what i do!) and means i priced it too low.

its marketing/selling after all, imo an effort to make it look attractive pays off.

here's a myford for I sold a couple of years ago for example.

Comment

I think it was McGyver recently who - if I recall correctly - more or less said that for some categories if a "for free" sign is put up it goes pretty quickly and if you put a price on it - even a small one - it really takes a while to go.

Extending that a little it seems that if you want to get rid of it quickly - advertise it (your cost) for free otherwise you might be stuck with it unless or until you eventually have to lower your price to an almost give-away level.

Its more of a probelm if you need the space in the shop for something else that you have bought and you are stuck for room.

Its an even bigger problem if you need to sell it for a reasonable price if you are counting on the sale cash to buy the new item or for other purposes.

There are other options of course.

Comment

Forgot about KIJIJI I will post there too.

Don't really need the space. Yet

Do need the money but it's not urgent. Can't afford to be a good Samaritan. Sorry.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Have had nothing but good results using CL. Never a crank call or even a woman! Bought and sold a few things, all good solid deals for both parties. I believe you can post on CL in different areas, but I could be wrong on that, Otherwise, works for me. Bob F.

Comment

For Craigslist I wouldn't even put a phone number. Make them respond. I've bought a number of things from CL and never had an issue. I have a friend that has sold on CL and always has stories about the idiots. You'll know right away if someone is really interested. If they can put together a sentence and ask an honest question you're good to go. If first thing off they ask about the price you can blow them off. They're either a tire kicker or a bottom feeder.

Side note about this. I bought my first lathe off CL and the guy selling it was pretty firm on the price but it was higher than most. Most people couldn't get past that, however I was more interested in what the condition was. Especially since it was recently painted which was a red flag for me. Turns out the guy worked in the industry for years and had put hundreds of dollars worth of parts in the machine. So compared to those "cheaper" machines it was a steal.

Comment

Put it out in the yard with a sign on it.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X