Are lead wheel weights banned too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are lead wheel weights banned too?

I know they took the lead out of electronics but are lead wheel weights banned now? what kind of substitute is there for good ole fashioned lead for weight besides gold...
    I can see a lighter still conductive material for electronics but wheel weights need to be compact and heavy,

I don't like all this fiddling about with things weve been using for decades ---- first they took the lead out of all my paint chips - u know how bad those olestra chips taste? plus they give me really bad gas...

The last wheel weights that I melted were lead with a plastic type coating on them.

Comment

Some states have banned Lead wheel weights and new cars come equiped either with Zinc or coated Steel.

http://www.perfectequipment.com/
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
        I know they took the lead out of electronics
        Not exactly.

The European Union RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive) started going into effect in 2006, so consumer electronics sold in the EU can't use lead solder. About the same time, the low-level radioactivity in lead solder was enough to pose a FIT (single-event upset) issue with the transistor densities on modern semiconductor devices.

So many of the US manufacturers started switching over to lead-free solder to solve both problems.
        There's a learning curve, hence "bump cracking" et al.

But you can still buy lead, lead shot, lead solder, ... 63/37 solder is great stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Metals-A.../dp/B000G36BYU
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Tires and vehicles that go fast enough to reveal balance problems with them can't be too far down the things to be banned list. Before too long the world will be too safe to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
            Before too long the world will be too safe to live in.
            I have lead plumbing, and eat on lead plates. Hasn't affected me at all. Off to give my bull some lovin'...
            Last edited by lazlo; 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I collect wheel weights for bullet casting and the Lead variety is rapidly being replaced with both Zinc and Iron weights. It's a good thing really because the mortality rate of hitch-hikers has sky-rocketed in the last few years from eating Lead wheel weights they find alongside the road, something had to be done!

Comment

I just checked, and lead fishing weights are widely available too. So if wheel weights are being replaced with other alloys, it's because of cost.

A quick Google search confirms:
                http://www.leadfreewheels.org/

Internationally, the use of lead wheel weights has been banned in the European Union since 2005. Progress in North America has been slow because of the EPA's refusal to, as of yet, implement any regulation of lead-wheel weight use.

Comment

Rohs, Recovery of hazardous substances, I believe. Bob F.

Comment

I don't think Gold would be practical though it would work.let me know your address if you go down that routeAlistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Let me know if you want some cheap gold as I expect to have plenty once my alchemy kit arrives from Nigeria.

Comment

Tungsten

I use tungsten shot instead of lead. It's selling for about $60/lb the last time I checked. At 2 oz per shell that gets pretty pricey, but I only use it for turkey hunting. I've also seen tungsten shot for fishing sinkers.

Ken

Comment

Cadmium's the latest element to make its exodus from solder over here. And I thought depleted uranium was all the rage. But seriously, bismuth was being touted a while back as a heavy and soft replacement for lead in its various guises.

What we need is for someone to invent a heavy plastic - a dense polymer with some heavyish elements in it.

Zinc, for weights ? That's a laugh. Useful to cut corrosion in the winter salt though, I suppose.

I think that lead fishing weights have been banned on the Thames - swans ate them and didn't feel too good afterwards.
                          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I don't know if swans felt sick after eating lead weights, but they probably got too heavy to fly
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by rohart
                              Cadmium's the latest element to make its exodus from solder over here.
                              I worked for a company for a very short period of time that was recovering heavy metals from NiCd batteries used by the Navy in nuclear subs. I was told that if a human absorbs 40 milligrams during a life time they are dead. No if's and's or but's. Also no way to remove it once absorbed, and yes it can be absorbed through the skin I was told.

Don't throw your NiCd batteries in the trash to be incinerated. Dispose of them properly.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X