Grizzly Service is an Oxymoron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly Service is an Oxymoron

My 4 yr. old Grizzly lathe DRO has started giving me problems. When turned on, the "start-up cycle" begins but never finishes. All of the numbers are "8." while all of the characters are "*". These symbols remain the same until turned off. Once in a while it will progress to where numbers are displayed. I tried to see if the numbers were correct. I set the X-direction diameter at 0.7500" and moved the saddle about 2" in the Z-direction towards the tailstock, without moving the cross feed handle. At the end of the movement, the DRO X-diameter read 0.7832"! Pretty good increase in diameter without any tool movement.

I have corresponded with Grizzly about getting the DRO serviced. I got a very nice email from Grizzly stating that they do not service their equipment. They gave me the name of a company they claimed will repair the DRO. I contacted the company and NO they do not repair DROs.

I went back to Grizzly to tell them that the company they suggested did not repair DROs. They suggested another company and when called, they do not repair DROs either. They told me that the company (Easson) which makes the Grizzly DRO, has no representation in the US. All they are is a company which sells DROs to US distributors who then sell them in the US. (This is what Grizzly is doing.)

Grizzly said they would be happy to sell me a complete DRO control box but there are on back order with a several month wait. I wonder if this some indication of the quality of the Grizzly DRO equipment?
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Might not be an oxymoron -- might just be a statement.

Comment

They had the rocks to tell you they'd sell you another one that nobody services?

Comment

Any advice in the Easson hand-book/manual?

Comment

Manual

There in absolutely no information on repair of the units. The manual just tells how to install and operate. No troubleshooting info.

Grizzly has not admitted their DROs are made by Easson. One of the "repair places" they sent me to said that they were Easson units. I'm trying to get from Grizzly, the Easson model number of the unit I have so I can try to get the exact same unit. So far, they have not provided it.
          Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

DUH. "Servicing Electronics" is the oxymoron. It is never cost effective as far as I can tell, so no one does it. Especially not on a lower cost unit.

Comment

Servicing electronics- ha ha ha. I just canceled my business licence today. No point in even answering the phone anymore.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Meister = 150% after sales service, Thank you Kerwin

I have seen many times where people bag out ebay sellers from overseas.

Recently I had a problem with my Meister DRO. It is 5 + years old so well out of warranty and after contacting the seller Kerwin (who really didn't have to help me) I told him my problem and asked if there where any checks I could do if I opened it up as I had already checked the fuse, he gave me some and after several emails back and forth I pin pointed it to be something in the 5v switch mode power supply. I will say I am not up on electronics at all but the test was easy with a multi meter.

Once the fault was found he said I could

1) send (just the board to save on postage) to him paying postage both ways and he would fix it for $20 US including parts,

2) I could buy an exchange board for $140 posted and I send mine back.

3)I could buy a external power supply from him for $42 posted.

4) Buy one here in Australian which is around $20.

He gave me the instructions of where to attach the external power supply in his first message when testing it with a 5v power supply I had here and it worked fine.

So even though everyone complains about the overseas guys on ebay and there being no back up etc, comparing him to the US seller Grizzly Kerwin gave me many options to fix the unit.
                I don't blame the unit as I have had a few funny things go on with a surge power board I had connected, which I have since got rid of.

I was lucky that I had a spare readout from my old mill, so I put that on my lathe, but I am tracking down the parts to fix the original power supply inside the unit. I am not worried about the money side of it as it would probably be cheap to send it to him compared to buying parts overseas, but it's a good learning experience and if it ever happens again I will have spares.

For the OP, try contacting the guy on Ebay (Not Meister) as he sell the Easson DRO's and maybe able to help.
                The first check I was asked to do was to see if 5v was getting to the scale plugs + -, if not your power supply might be gone like mine.

On mine there was a solder blob that connected the power supply to the readout, so it was a simple matter of desoldering it and hooking up an external 5v power supply to try it. You need something around 1amp+ to run them.
                When I first tried I hooked up 5v from an old computer, even though it lit up the display was all over the place. After a email to him he suggested the power supply was not big enough, so I disconnected everything from the power supply and it started up strait away.

If you don't want to play with it, take it down to your local computer guy and have him check the power supply as they are switch mode which are the same as most computers these days.

Dave

Comment

Hi BigBoy,
                  I just chased up that link for you. Try that rest to see if you have 5v power at the scale connector as well.

This guy has sold Easson for many years, so he might be able to help you out with some checks. I know he replies really quick to any questions and is a great ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/easson-2-...item33632e4431

Dave

Comment

Like Davo discovered, 9 out of 10 times it's a power supply issue. Most of the time it's caused by capacitors going bad.

Open the unit up and see what voltage(s) the power supply is putting out. You'll probably find that it's either low, and/or has a lot of ripple.

Comment

If Grizzly or any similar company provided warranty repairs on the stuff they sell, they'd go out of business or would have to switch for a quality merchandise (=$$$). If the manufacturers of the cra...errr..stuff they sell had any real representation in the US, the stuff would lose all its attractiveness in terms of prices (and there is nothing else attractive there).

So when we buy the stuff, we need to realize that it's supposed to be disposable. We get what we pay for.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hsm'er
                        Like Davo discovered, 9 out of 10 times it's a power supply issue. Most of the time it's caused by capacitors going bad.

Open the unit up and see what voltage(s) the power supply is putting out. You'll probably find that it's either low, and/or has a lot of ripple.
                        This is probably right about 90% of problems being in the power supply. Bad caps? Perhaps, but it could be other things too.

If it is not the power supply, you could open things up and just check for foreign substances inside; chips, coolant, oil, water, dust, etc. A shop is a very hostile environment for electronics. Some times a good cleaning can do a lot. Be sure power is off first. Clean boards with a dry paint brush by brushing in several directions. You can use compressed air to help things along. If this does not remove everything, I would use 99% alcohol (Walmart or drug store) and a clean tooth brush to scrub it off. Rinse it off several times with more alcohol and let it dry for several hours before applying power again. Keep alcohol and all liquids away from any push button switches or keyboards unless you plan (and can) completely disassemble them to clean AND DRY each part of them individually. Solvents can and will carry contaminates into these devices, causing more damage than they fix. I have saved many boards this way.

Oh, if there is any soldering flux on the boards do not allow any solvent you use to remove it to run into parts like switches, keyboards, relays, etc. Flux is an excellent insulator and even a very thin layer of it WILL foul many such devices. When I clean flux off boards I always make sure the solvent can drip off the board in a safe direction.

With power off, alcohol can be sprayed into connectors to clean them.

If any ICs or other parts are mounted in sockets, corrosion may have developed there. You don't have to remove them from the socket to break that corrosion, just lift them a small fraction of an inch and re-seat them. That will break the corrosion. Look for any bent pins when you do this. Don't laugh, I have found dozens of bent pins under the ICs in some pieces of equipment.

Also look for any bad connections.

All of the above can be done with no electronic test equipment and little knowledge of how the circuitry works by anybody who uses a little caution and common sense. I have solved a host of problems with these simple techniques.
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I've had pretty good results with Grizzly support for mechanical and (simple) electrical items. But it sounds like they are pulling a fast one with DRO support.

Comment

I bought some replacement scales from this Ebay vendor,he had scales to match anything,he might have a display to fit your scales.

No affiliation,just a satisfied customer.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'd give these folks a try: http://www.star-techno.com/

I do not know if your existing scales would work with their units, but it would be worth a phone call or e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X