Motor Shaft - why Is It Like That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Shaft - why Is It Like That

Below are pictures of the motor shaft that locates the 2 speed pulley and fan on the 2 speed motor of my lathe. The pulley is still on the shaft.

As you can see in the first 2 pictures there is a cross hole through the shaft and the shaft is hollow at that point (as in a tube?). The threaded section has 3 axial slots (2 of 3 are not full penetration) at 120 degree spacing. The Third photo shows the threaded split ring that holds the pulley on the shaft and for completeness, the fan and retaining bolt and washer.

It seems overly complicated, but then it's German built. However because it's German built I assume it's that way for good reason. Does anybody know the purpose behind the design.

I'm trying to take the pulley off the shaft but I'm not prepared to pull on it too hard until I know what I'm looking at.

Phil

Last edited by philbur; 06-02-2012, 02:49 PM.

Looks like a shaft extender for a commodity motor that allows adding the fan to the works.

Comment

Thanks for that. If that is the case then it would appear to be a three fingered collet arrangement. I think it would require the pulley and inner end of the extender to be tapered. Thus when the lock ring is tighten against the puley face the collet grips the motor shaft.

Phil
      Last edited by philbur; 06-02-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philbur
        It seems overly complicated, but then it's German built.

I think you answered your own question to some degree and im being completely serious.

Whatever u do don't analyze it too much cuz that could prove to be a complete waste of time...

I remember my old bossman coming up to me when I was working on a Mercedes and asking me "why are u doing it that way" and I would say "cuz it's German" and he would say "oh -- carry on then"

Comment

It appears to me that the small stub with the keyway in it is either pressed in or screwed into the larger shaft.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I think Dennis has it,it's an extender and yes I believe your right that it's a collet type arrangement.A good rap with a Brass hammer knocking the collet back into the pulley will probably do the trick.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

One rap with a hammer

Just to close it out. One rap with a hammer and off came the pulley, the extender then just slide of the motor shaft. Thanks for that WS. Plan A was to spend half a day making up a special puller.

Phil

Originally posted by wierdscience
              I think Dennis has it,it's an extender and yes I believe your right that it's a collet type arrangement.A good rap with a Brass hammer knocking the collet back into the pulley will probably do the trick.

Comment

Amazing all the machine work that went into that piece,they do work well though,much better than a couple of setscrews in a plain bore.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That would be an interesting part to replicate if needed. Looks well made, too.

Comment

Hmm, a side view of the stub end shows it's a part of the whole piece. That's interesting they did it that way. I guess it's to avoid a special motor shaft and in the interest of affordable replacement it works.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Bravo - im amazed you guys got that from those limited pics,
                      Iv never seen anything like that and was also waiting for SJ to chime in about it as I would have thought he'd seen one,

It is complicated - but as far as function I can see it running true and with the taper holding it down it would be hard pressed to "walk" but walkings not impossible cuz it's really not far from your typical R-8 setup... (except the orig. motor shaft is the tooling)

I don't know how much load Id trust way on the end piece.

Now that you see it it slaps you in the head - that round hole is a stress relief.

Not foolproof but that's really german engineering at its best.

Comment

If ever there was a bunch that made stuff overly complicated, it is the Germans. They also think that any engineer that is not German is a complete moron, a very rude habit. I mean I can understand feeling that way about the French, but everyone?
                        James Kilroy

Comment

I cant get over the amount of work in that thing, you almost have to like it,,,

I guessing the two of the three cuts in the taper that are not completely through are to allow for additional flexibility and transfer more of the holding pressure and keep those pressures more uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
                            If ever there was a bunch that made stuff overly complicated, it is the Germans. They also think that any engineer that is not German is a complete moron, a very rude habit.
                            More than any other that's a fact - but it's what also got them the nickname "blockheads" ----- because some of there stuff is so obviously built incorrect yet they will never see it because they do not possess the ability to see outside of themselves, iv said it before - when it come to building cars they are the polar opposite of the Japanese.

I mean I can understand feeling that way about the French, but everyone?

U know so what if the Le-car only had 3 lugs holding on the wheels - you just have to make sure ALL of them are damn tight
                            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The internal of the extender is keyed to the motor shaft. The Pulley is keyed to the taper of the extender and the fan is keyed to the end of the extender. No walking there I think.

It's interesting that the arrangement allows axial adjustment of the pulley location. This provides a means of accurate alignment of the motor pulley pair with the gear box pulley pair.

Phil

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                              but walkings not impossible cuz it's really not far from your typical R-8 setup... (except the orig. motor shaft is the tooling)

Comment

Working...
                              X