Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions wanted.. Save this old drill press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted.. Save this old drill press?

This old Cincinnati drill press has been teasing me for the past few weeks on Craigslist.
    Do you think it would be worth salvaging?
    It looks beefy, but it also looks rusted up solid.
    The seller lives about 2 hours from me.
    Just fishin for opinions.
    Antique Cincinnati drill press

Hmm ... do you have time to take on a project? Good thing about drill presses: they're really simple. Makes restoration pretty simple compared to mills/lathes that need bearing surfaces scraped in. It could be a very fun and rewarding proejct but you have to like the work and like flat belt drive machines. Personally, I'd pass because I've got too many projects on my plate right now and it's the wrong era - I like machines from the 40's and 50's mostly.

Comment

I'd sure give it a shot. Looks really neat. Soak the offending pieces for a few days and they'll loosen. Great project with a rewarding outcome.

Comment

Looks like a great project. If all the gears are ok its sure thing.

Comment

You cannot go wrong for $100.00. Looks like an easy resto if it,s all there with no broken missing pieces.

Comment

Grab it,like said they are simple machines and have capacity far beyond any of the pipe column import glorified cake mixers on the market.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It would be a good project for electrolytic rust removal. If you have the time, they are a great unit. A friend has one that is similar and it will drill some mighty big holes assuming you have the drills.

Comment

If I were a collector of antique machines, had unlimited shop space and a burning desire to spend my time restoring the piece, I'd take it. But I'm not.
                Last edited by MichaelP; 06-03-2012, 12:29 AM.
                Mike
                WI/IL border, USA

Comment

If the gears are good enough to work and not broken are stripped,every thing else can be repaired. should not take more than a few weeks. I did one years ago all taking apart and laying in the dirt for years bent spindle and all with some parts missing.Turned out nice . if you can figure out how all is easy to fix. wire brushes make short work of rust.
                  Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                  http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                  http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Ditto on the resurrection. Old iron is fun to work on and you will have quite a conversation piece when you are finished.

Comment

If no one has bought it in 2 weeks go see the owner nicely remind him no one has bought it & how it's a shame & extra work for him to haul it to the scrapyard offer him $40 he'll say $50 let him win & you've saved a pc of history that if you change your mind you can always recoup $50. I vote buy it! Before you leave always ask if he has or knows of any other equip not being used. That's why you let him win as he probably knows where there is much more. It's good to leave a simple card & a good impression.
                      Last edited by flylo; 06-02-2012, 09:59 PM.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Given the lack of activity, I think I'd wait for that firm price to get limp. Otherwise, pretty cool!
                        I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Do you need a drill press? If so, a camelback like that one will probably work for a lot of jobs.

It does look like it would be an interesting project. I recall someone else here or on PM restoring one and posting pics.

Good luck whatever you decide and be sure to post pics if you decide to restore it.

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

2 hour drive for a piece of junk, huh?

Yeah, maybe, but tell him you expect cash.......no checks..

Comment

The seller is paying the buyer???

Comment

Working...
                              X