Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSM Authors

Just curious...

What can you earn writing for the Home Shop Machinist and Machinist's Workshop?
    Many Magazine Publishers pay by the word and by the photo.

Tom M.

I'm sure that if you ask Neil he will be glad to help you out.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

some magazines also supply a writers guide.I don't know if HSM does.

Comment

Yes, HSM has a writers guide that you can ask for and recieve by email. They pay pretty much by the page,photo and drawing. Great people to work with!
        hms50
        hms

Comment

Having done a few articles I can tell you it's no way to get rich, but it's at least enough to buy a few shop goodies. Neil can provide all the details.

----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I'd like the Open source DRO and stepper drive to be posted on HSM when I am done with it.

MY communication skills suck thou and will need a translator. ANY of you interested?

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-09-2005).]

Comment

Ibew,
              Have you seen this for a DRO
              http://www.shumatech.com/

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Tom:

I'll send you our author's guide.

As one post stated, you won't get rich, but it is a nice way to get some extra bucks for shop improvements.

Neil

Comment

It's also (I think) fun, and it's a way of helping "the fraternity" by sharing knowledge. Not to mention the incalculable honor and glory of being a published author.

I encourage folks to give it a try.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

John..

Yes. Kinda backward approach I think. You still end up with about 450 in the whole system. A neat project thou. Simple and open source.

I want a system that can later be upgraded into a control-drive. As I have been digging into it I find others have done similar drives. Some 4 amp drives are just 40$ each come with the 68hc11 boards. Cheap is HOME shop terrritory. Most people can't afford to put a $1000 DRO on a 350$ home machine.
                    Kinda like that $2500 engine I built, I could not put it into a $800 car. It'd be worth $900.
                    I am still worrying out the minor details. A Basic stamp ($48), a serial 2 line lcd ($22) and some home made encoders ($40 for all three) is all you really need. I have the basic stamp encoder program running and tested. I'd like much better the setup to add. OPEN bus architecture is what I like, open source. Maybe sell the kits, or just the plans on ebay.
                    Actually, a old pc works as well as the stamp and lcd, just larger, more cumbersome.

David

Comment

I have given some though, more than a little thought, to a less expensive form of DRO and perhaps CNC. The big problem is the scales or more persicely stated, the position sensing. The only inexpensive solutions involve using the lead screws to either drive a rotary encoder or to simply be relied apon to travel exactly so far for each pulse sent to a stepper motor.

The first approach does actually report the actual position but it requires there be a compensation for backlash. Backlash can vary along the length of a screw so this approach is not very good.

The second one totally ignores actually knowing where you are and blindly assumes that every command to move is correctly carried out. This is even worse than the first. Except that backlash can be eliminated by always positioning from the same direction.

Lately I have given some thought to a wire or line wrapped around a shaft with a rotary encoder. But in order to keep the resolution at the 0.001" or less range the rotary encoder needs to have a resolution of at lease 2000 counts per revolution, preferably more. And how do you keep the wire/line clean?

Paul A.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                      John..

Yes. Kinda backward approach I think. You still end up with about 450 in the whole system. A neat project thou. Simple and open source.

I want a system that can later be upgraded into a control-drive. As I have been digging into it I find others have done similar drives. Some 4 amp drives are just 40$ each come with the 68hc11 boards. Cheap is HOME shop terrritory. Most people can't afford to put a $1000 DRO on a 350$ home machine.
                      Kinda like that $2500 engine I built, I could not put it into a $800 car. It'd be worth $900.
                      I am still worrying out the minor details. A Basic stamp ($48), a serial 2 line lcd ($22) and some home made encoders ($40 for all three) is all you really need. I have the basic stamp encoder program running and tested. I'd like much better the setup to add. OPEN bus architecture is what I like, open source. Maybe sell the kits, or just the plans on ebay.
                      Actually, a old pc works as well as the stamp and lcd, just larger, more cumbersome.

David

</font>
                      Paul A.

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                      X