Ot: Teotwawki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vincemulhollon
    Basically you can zap cars with ridiculous field strength with generally no effect, occasionally the "entertainment stuff" needs a power cycle to work again, and once in a blue moon something actually breaks on some specific model cars.
    Vince, you're killing the fantasy for the Preppers. If you scan through the Google hits for "Teotwawki", this is the leading cause for the end of the world rapture they're hoping happens: a huge EMP pulse that wipes-out all modern electronics.

Some other random End of the World scenarios I read in a 5 minute scan: "Hyperinflation", the Greek Debt Crisis, the Zombie Apocalypse,... but most of "them" refer to the End of the World scenario as: "SHTF" -- when the "sh!t hits the fan"...

On the bright side, the Prepper's fad has been great for ammo sales, and there's whole cottage industry providing bunkers, supplies, security systems, training. And of course, Elmer Fudd's body armor
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The effect of an overwhelming surge on electrical devices and vehicles is pure speculation.
      Perhaps I should rephrase that.

The effect of an overwhelming surge on electrical devices and vehicles that I described in the story is pure speculation.

I was referring to the little story I wrote and submitted in another thread, and referred to in post #13 here.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        I was an electrical engineer for the Army Research Laboratory for over a decade, and designed mobile supercomputers for command and control, fire control interfaces for the Paladin howitzer, and ground station electronics for black programs (among many others).

Military electronics are heavily shielded, both against EMP Mil-Std-461, and against counter-intelligence (Tempest shielding).
        I worked on some of the same stuff, C3 and Sigint. Very familiar with Tempest. Most of the shielding on individual equipment are Tempest, but use emp resistant technologies, not so much shielding for emp. I would say most of the commercial electronic equipment I work on would survive emp, especially when coupled to line conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
          On the bright side, the Prepper's fad has been great for ammo sales, and there's whole cottage industry providing bunkers, supplies, security systems, training.
          Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.

There appears to be a time warp, forming, that is going back to the "50's.

Danger.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Asked the "Stoners" who smoke pot in their cave and look into the future,,,

The husband claims it's not "time" yet, but it is comming soon, but he couldn't put a "date" on it.

The female, she just rambles on about her garden food supply.

Comment

Working...
            X