OT: Truck tractor burnt to the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Truck tractor burnt to the ground

I have seen a lot of burnt vehicles over the years and watched some of them burn too. But, I have never seen a vehicle burn this completely. The only parts left are the steel parts and some of the aluminum wheels. Even the aluminum wheels have burnt to a degree. Not melted either but actually burnt. There is no sign of large puddles of melted aluminum anywhere.

We happened on this yesterday (Sunday) on our way back from Kelowna. It is in the middle of nowhere and there is no fire protection service in the area. We didn't see it actually burning but it was still hot and smoking when we saw it.

Something is fishy though. There is no sign of a diesel fire and the tanks are intact. If there was any significant amount of diesel in the tanks it should have spewed burning diesel over the surrounding area including the road.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Looks like all the plastic, fabric, rubber, and fiberglass parts are gone. Looks like all the tires in the photos are completely gone. In a remote area. I would suspect deliberate arson. Insurance?

The tank appears to have been shielded by a steel floor.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Evan,
      Usually there's two reasons for a highway tractor to burn to the ground like that. Hot brakes from inexperience or a shoe dragging. Or I'd highly suspect what happened in your pictures is the high pressure oil line to the turbo broke. Those really get a huge fire going in seconds. A fuel line break is one more possibility that's pretty unusual. But your pictures also show just how much plastic and fiberglass is used in these trucks now.

Since it's a law that commercial trucks carry and have easy access to a fire extinguisher, I wouldn't think that was a simple electrical fire. I'm guessing his fuel level was pretty low so the tanks didn't boil it out onto the ground and just burned off any of the fuel in the tanks. I've seen a few burned that bad.

Pete
      Last edited by uncle pete; 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Looks to me like an arsonist was busy.

I see the truck is off the road, perhaps it was stolen or broke down.
        The fuel tanks were probably drained and then the truck was torched. Maybe just for the hell of it or perhaps to conceal any evidence.

You're right Evan with that kind of heat the flexable fuel lines and tank would be gone if there would have been any fuel there to burn.
        Being that the tank is in the center or coldest part of the truck during the fire the aluminum did not get hot enough to melt.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

If one of the tires runs flat on a hot day it can self ignite also,

I carry an extinguisher in my vehicle mainly for this purpose and mainly to help others if they don't know they are running flat...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            ere.
            We happened on this yesterday (Sunday) on our way back from Kelowna.
            Welcome back. How did it go at the sleep clinic?
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

On our way down on Saturday we saw a truck parked in the same location. He had unhitched the trailer and pulled ahead about 50 feet. He was working under the hood. I can't say if it is the same truck, obviously, but it is a good bet. It isn't likely for the fuel tanks to be empty as it is a good drive to the next town.

My best guess is that the driver had a major breakdown and just left it there overnight. Somebody else drained the tanks and torched it to remove fingerprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan
                How did it go at the sleep clinic?
                Bad. I now have a possible malpractice case against the clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Even the aluminum wheels have burnt to a degree. Not melted either but actually burnt. There is no sign of large puddles of melted aluminum anywhere.

Are you sure their not mags? or at least mag mix as this would explain the missing puddles.

Geeze ---- what happened at the clinic?

Comment

If you look at the wheel picture you can see a lot of white crumbs in with the tire wires. That is metal oxide. They don't use magnesium much if at all in wheels anymore as it is prone to cracking worse than aluminum and is too flammable. Aluminum burns just fine if it gets hot enough and is kept hot.

The clinic should not have put me on a CPAP machine. I have discovered that I cannot use a CPAP or any other type of positive pressure ventilation device because I have perforated eardrums. I will have to send the machine back to Greg that he sent me.

Because I have perforated eardrums the machine can blow infectious agents from my mouth and throat up into my middle ear and cause a serious infection. In my case that can be very serious because I have an immune deficiency of IgG subclass 2 which means I can't fight strep, pneumonia or meningitis. An inner ear infection with those common pathogens could even kill me.

I didn't know that this was a contraindication against the use of CPAP but when the tech hooked up the machine I could feel the pressure on my eardrums. I asked him if that would be a problem with my perforated eardrums and he said "No, that should be no problem at all".

During the night my eardrums blew out at least once that I know of. When I got home I looked up the manual for the machine they used and it says:

The tech should have stopped the procedure the moment I mentioned my eardrums. They now have a problem. I do hope I don't.

Comment

that's just plain incompetence --- you even tried to cover the fact...

It's like telling the doctor your allergic to penicillin and then he goes into the other room for a second - come's back - injects you with something - then pats you on the arm and says "there - that penicillin ought to fix you right up"

it's their baby, hope nothing takes off and grows because regardless of that fact, it's your life...

Comment

Even:

Sorry to hear about your ears and the CPAP.
                        I swear, incompetence seems to be chronic, every frigging day I'll have a problem with someone not paying attention or being stupid or .... well you know.

Some reason your ears can't be patched?
                        My doctor took a bit of skin from the back of my ear and patched it over the hole. I hear really good out of that ear now.

By the way! There's nothing wrong with that truck. That's the way they make them these days.

Tom M.

Comment

My eardrums are ripped loose along the edge. It has been that way for decades. That has healed so that the eardrum is now a kind of flap. It sticks itself closed so that it functions perfectly but I have to be very careful not to blow my nose hard or do anything that changes the pressure in my respiratory system by much or suddenly. I had no idea how much pressure that is but obviously the CPAP machine generates enough pressure to be a problem.

I had a serious fungal infection in one ear about 3 or 4 years ago and it took them 3 months to fix it. I was stone deaf in that ear during that time and am not at all interested in repeating the experience. They never asked about this possibility or made any sort of reference to it.

This could get expensive for the clinic.

You are right. Everywhere I turn these days I run into incompetence.

Comment

I have been on cpap for over twenty years and have never been asked about my eardrums either.So maybe it's not so important after all ,and just means you need to stop using the machine.I am not in favour of lawsuits at the drop of a hat seems the world is out looking to make out of the medical profession at any costs we live in a very litigeous age when everyone see's a slight fault with misinformation and suddenly thinks my god I could do very nicely out of this . Would it be fair to say no harm has come to you Evan if it has, seriously, has then of course sue, but if it was just a simple error or lack of information then try to think of the mistakes you and I and we all have made .I shudder everytime someone tries to make a pile from suing doctors just because they can and it's very lucrative.I am not saying your one of them Evan but think of the others everytime you sue the cost of medicine gets higher and higher for the poor.It's high time we sorted the needy from the greedy.In a way maybe it was beholdent upon you as a highly intelligent creature to mention it to them just as a way of relieving your anxiety to sit and say nothing then rush out and sue is fecklless and we all are in some way incompetent.As I say I have been to many sleep labs clinics over the last twenty odd years and never been asked about my ears or asked in any documentation which I always have to fill in or have never heard of anyone else being asked either maybe your just one of lifes unlucky people.Keep well Alistair
                            Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM.
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                              I am not in favour of lawsuits at the drop of a hat seems the world is out looking to make out of the medical profession at any costs we live in a very litigeous age when everyone see's a slight fault with misinformation and suddenly thinks my god I could do very nicely out of this.
                              Alistair; Do you mean like this one?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1087339
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X