O/T Small 2 cycle engine:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Small 2 cycle engine:

Put a carb kit in my "weed Eater" yesterday.

After a number of pulls to start it, Got it to run, and adjusted the carb needle to where it ran smooth, Quick response from the throttle when opened, and nice smooth idle.
    Shut it off a few times and it started first pull, idled beautifully. Cut with it for an hour. Then put it away for the night.

Went to use it today, and it just will not start, It has spark, but the plug appears dry, primer is almost full, but doesn't appear to be getting fuel now.

Any ideas ?? Thanks.

Weed Eater

Maybe it's out of gas?

Comment

Not an Echo is it? Them dammed things don't need as reason not to run!
      Tel

Comment

Check and make sure your tank vent is operable...
        at least crack it open and listen for that vacuum sound.... if you hear that instead of pressure or nothing then you just might have it...

Comment

AK Boomer, i'll check that in the morning. Good suggestion.

(The tank is full of fresh right outta the pump w/2 cycle mix.)

Strange it ran SO GOOD yesterday, idled beautifully, and restarted on the first pull three or four times.

Comment

Check you carb mount screws also. Hopefully it didn't puke a crank seal.

Does your primer pull fuel from the tank and return the excess? Look into the tank to see or pull the return hose.

Comment

Lakeside53 brings up a good point about the function of the primer.
              I very occasionally have the same symptoms on my Stiihl trimmer.
              I always look to see if the primer is returning fuel back into the tank.
              If not I just remove the gas cap from the trimmer and blow into the tank while operating the primer, this always primes the primer and I'm good to go again.
              Don't forget to bring along a beer to get the gas taste out of your mouth.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Good points about the primer, and yes it is returning fuel back into the tank. I did notice the return line when i pump the primer has the odd air bubble in it?-The primer bulb is not completely full, just around half full all the time, which it was yesterday when it ran so good.
                I will trying blowing into the tank though ,(carefully).

Comment

Jeez, giving a blow job to a weed trimmer! This place is getting weirder all the time! I think I'd need the beer(s) first.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                    Jeez, giving a blow job to a weed trimmer! This place is getting weirder all the time! I think I'd need the beer(s) first.
                    Yeah I know, just remember to blow...don't suck!
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                      AK Boomer, i'll check that in the morning. Good suggestion.

(The tank is full of fresh right outta the pump w/2 cycle mix.)

Strange it ran SO GOOD yesterday, idled beautifully, and restarted on the first pull three or four times.

Yes not saying it's it but it fits the bill with the little bit of info I have to go on --- Gas builds up it's own pressures when heated and jossled about,, but then all the sudden you let things cool and the tank is down and you start having fuel problemo's

It's a good start - many little two stroke fuel caps have a bicuspid type valve - it's like fish lips facing inward --- after setting an entire season and stuff like that they can become stuck together .... if you have this design give em a squeeze .

Comment

Re: Fish lips facing inward: WHAT A DESCRIPTION!!

My cap isn't like fish lips, just got a piece of green plastic wedge of some sort. (On the inside, then a little hole on the outside with what appears to be a little brass vent less than 1/8th across. Tried blowing out out a bit ago, nothing seemed to happen, wonder if it's a pourus bronze or?
                        (I got a couple of spare caps from scrapped engines for parts, i,.m going to dissect a cap tommorrow see what is in there.)

Comment

Sasquatch, they are basically a check valve - they will not allow you to "blow out" but they should allow you to blow in...

Comment

Tried blowing "In" nothing semed to give, (maybe my lip pressure was poor,) going to investigate that in the morning, thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Yes - investigate - they do not need to vent much so you may be getting fooled -- but they do have to vent in some or you will gridlock your fuel supply....

Comment

Working...
                              X