OT but useful I think - PU spare tire holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT but useful I think - PU spare tire holders

I've seen other threads where these GM, Ford and Dodge PU spare tire holders have been cussed/discussed. Well I got bit by mine last week.

About 15 months ago I put a set of Michelin truck tires on my Dakota. Shorty thereafter I hit some road debris and damaged the side wall on one. Took it to the tire dealer and they changed it out under my road hazard warranty. So far so good.

Last week I hit a piece of I beam and did in another tire. Thought I could make it to the local tire dealer, but no way. Limped back home and proceeded to try to get the spare out. Well the cable was hung and the tire was not budging. Wife calls AAA and two guys come and they can't get it down.

I ended up cutting off the end of the cable assembly with my oxy/fuel torch. When we got the tire down it was a 20" tire & my truck takes 16's! Took both wheels & tires to the tire store and told them what happened. Seems their store in Evansville had installed the wrong spare when I had the first tire replaced.

So today I went to Evansville (2 1/2 hrs round trip) to get a replacement wheel, tire, & spare tire assembly. Tire & wheel went fine, but the used spare tire assembly would not work. So tomorrow I go back to Evansville so they can install a new one from the dealer.

So in the future when I service my truck it will include lowering the spare tire and lubing the cable & mechanism with white grease. Hope others can learn from my experience.

Stan
    Last edited by ; 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM.

That's a good reminder, Stan.

My GMC which I bought 'used' has a crank down arrangement. A few months after I got it I happened to think about the spare, and discovered it was missing the crank device for lowering it. I cobbled one up that worked, but it's not something that comes to mind.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The stupidest place to ever mount a spare tire!!
      Yup, they been doin that for years!!
      Remember back on stepside pickups they were mounted on the side of the box? (Sun deteriorated the tire some,) but if covered it was a good place.

Gotta be almost every spare under the bed is rusted up there, and JUST WHEN YOU NEED IT!!
      Every truck i've had i take the spare and put it in the front of the box.

Someone told me a few weeks ago the spare on Dodge caravans is mounted UP UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT!!! Now how dumb is that???

Comment

I dont know who designed the cable winches for underneath pickups, my Australian Ford has one that is the same as used on US Ford pickups. I have learned to never allow anyone else to wind it down, the weakness is that the nylon(?) internals get easily buggered if the cable is pulled in any direction except straight down. It must be wound fully out before trying to detach the wheel and the wheel must be pushed right under the vehicle before starting to wind up.

Crappy design.

Comment

I mount mine in front of the right wheel well inside bolted to the box rail. I just found a tractor fuel tank that will fit the other side perfectly for 1$ at the yardsale with all the belts, It ha the corner notched so the notch will hiy the wheel well perfect. I'll still be be able to carry 4x8 with no interfreance. It looks about 25 gal+35 stock x 23MPG. 1800 miles safe & really not loose any room. I'll wye the return steel tube & just gravity feed when I get down past 10 gal. Who says you cant buy something for a buck?

Comment

I had to use the spare on my '00 Silverado for the first time two weeks ago. The lock they put in the hole where you insert the winch handle opened easily, and the winch mechanism was smooth as silk.

I was a little concerned about the two indentations in the sidewall where the tire had pressed against the frame for almost twelve years, but it got me to where I could get the tire repaired. They even put MY spare back for me when they fixed the tire.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I think it's smart, I can't think of a better place to carry a spare on a truck than the furthest back as you can get due to how light they are without a load --- it's many of the mechanisms that give grief but even most of them are ok if taken down every blue moon and lubed and then reeled back up --- it's a thankless job they have --- always under tension and hanging back in the dust and dung,,,
              Use something like boat trailer wheel bearing grease on them and it will ward off the moisture...

Comment

Recent General Motors under bed spare winches have a catch that locks the assembly into the winch housing if the cable is pulled up too far. It is the t shaped unit that supports the plate that fits the center hole in the wheel. If the catch mech gets rusty and gets engaged and latched, it is a real cluster f to get down. DAMHIKT. Lube it up first, please, before it's too late. I will cut and paste the factory instructions to release the catch but it don't work if the catch binds.
                Joe
                Here it is...
                I can't figure a way to post the line drawing with the part callouts

Note: If the spare tire hoist has been fully raised without a spare tire in place, the secondary latch mechanism may have become engaged. If this has occurred the hoist will not lower and the following steps will need to be followed:

1. Rotate the hoist shaft counterclockwise until approximately 15 cm (6 in) of cable (1) is exposed.

2. While holding the latch pin (3), fully depress the latch button (2) and release the secondary latch from the hoist assembly. Some side-to-side and/or up-and-down movement may be necessary to disengage the latch mechanism.

3. Continue rotating the hoist shaft counterclockwise in order to lower the hoist the rest of the way.

4. If this does not release the secondary latch, the spare tire hoist will need to be replaced.

My experience is the latch can engage with a spare mounted. The above procedure is not really possible with the weigh of the wheel/tire on the mech.
                I have pulled the plastic cover off the side of the hoist and used a long rod to disengage the latch. It is a struggle due to access issues.

Comment

Maybe one of these days the US auto companies will actually design a solution to a problem. That is rather doubtful as their actions over the past several decades have proven. Actually all the US company needs to do is visit a Honda dealer and look at the watertight compartment used on my Ridgeline, problem solved. This is yet another reason why I will never again own another big 3 auto.

Let the flames begin.....

Robert

Comment

Spare Tire

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. This is the first truck I have personally owned, and I really like it. One item that I don't like is the mechanism to lower the spare from under the bed. There is a hole at the rear of the bed into which you put together two sections of rod and a "T" to operate the lowering system which is about three feet away. The problem is that the end of the rod has a semi-hook on the end, that is nearly impossible to engage quickly and easily into the lowering winch. Had to install the spare once, luckly in my driveway and it took about twenty minutes to finally lower the spare because of the flimsy arrangement. I promised myself that one day I will change the winch engaugement to a hex drive or something to eliminate the problem, I could just picture myself on the side of the road in poor weather trying to get my spare down again.

Comment

Right in the same DUMB catagory as those "Locking" wheel nuts.

Comment

Slightly off the OT, but I hear that most new cars don't even HAVE a spare anymore.
                        I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

OMG, a vehicle owner has to do a bit of preventative maintenance? Wow!

Every time I change my oil, I check tire air pressure and condition to include the spare, which means I have to crank the spare down, put a gage on it, and manually spin it to look for damage. I also take the opportunity to wipe the old grease off the cable and apply a bit more fresh. It takes all of 2 minutes to do, but Ive never had to walk bc of it (tho I did once walk due to a previous gf not checking air pressure in her spare). I also check all of my fluids, clean + lube hinges, and look for other damage/leaks...every time I change my oil (every 3k). All told, a service takes me 30 minutes, 60 minutes if I decide to do a bit of cleaning.

Originally posted by RTPBurnsville
                          Maybe one of these days the US auto companies will actually design a solution to a problem. That is rather doubtful as their actions over the past several decades have proven. Actually all the US company needs to do is visit a Honda dealer and look at the watertight compartment used on my Ridgeline, problem solved.
                          Automakers cant design a solution to the owner's problems, only the vehicle's. I also thought we were discussing trucks, not minivans with identity issues.
                          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Put the spare in the bed and/or get roadside....

Comment

I hate the winch down spares. Its really bad off road. I have had more than one occasion where I had to jack the vehicle up extra high )due to road ruts) so I had enough space to slide the spare out. Give me a swing arm spare any day.

ArkTinkerer

Comment

Working...
                              X