How do I make a worm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a worm?

I want to make a worm and wheel for my mill power feed. I have already made one using a steel worm and aluminium wheel but the worm wore the wheel out in no time at all.

I very much suspect the cause of failure was the rough surface of the worm and maybe the profile of the tooth.

How can I cut a smooth surface on a steel worm? The steel I am using is stainless steel shaft from a washing machine motor and I can usually get a good surface on this material but when cutting a thread at slow speed the surface is very rough. I use HSS tooling.

I suppose if I mill it I could then finish up by grinding, is that the way to go?

Thanks.

How to make a worm? Well, you need a mama worm and a papa worm to start with and a nice bucket of damp earth and ....

Oh, I see now, you are talking about making a worm in the shop. First you might try a leaded steel instead of stainless. One that has a good machinability rating, like 12L14 or possibly 41L40.

Make sure your tool is dead sharp. Use lots of a high quality cutting fluid like Tap Magic or your favorite.

If the worm still is rough, make a matching "nut" from aluminum or brass and use it to lap the worm until it is smooth. Use progressively finer grades of abrasive. You probably should use different lapping nut for each grade.

If there is room on the end for the tool to run off, you could use a higher speed for cutting it.

Oh, did I mention DEAD SHARP tool? HSS tool is good, it can be sharpened dead sharp.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Ahem, worms are hermaphrodites!

I have a bit of better steel here, I dont know what it is but it was given to me as being better to machine than bright mild steel so I will try that.

Thanks for the idea of running off the end so being able to use a higher speed, I can certainly do that if I cut a left hand thread (and there is no reason why I should not).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
        How to make a worm? Well, you need a mama worm and a papa worm to start with and a nice bucket of damp earth and ....

Nope... worms are hermaphroditic. Just need two... no gender. Why do I still know that?

Comment

lol.. Simultaneous posts. Maybe you have be be from N'Zed to know that

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
            lol.. Simultaneous posts. Maybe you have be be from N'Zed to know that
            Form 3 Biology, 1960!

Comment

John, maybe a quick way would be buy a right angle reduction gearbox on tardme and steal the worm and wheel from it. Might get one or 10 or 20 dollars
              My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling
                John, maybe a quick way would be buy a right angle reduction gearbox on tardme and steal the worm and wheel from it. Might get one or 10 or 20 dollars

Yes, thats true. But 'making stuff' is part of the.... (I cant even think of an appropriate word!)... "journey"?

Comment

I'm thinking this subject is "Opening a can of Worms".

Interesting topic though for sure!!

Comment

I suspect most worms made in production are either finish ground or rolled like threads are rolled thus creating a much smoother finish than single point cutting.

Depending on the pitch you may be able to made a wooden or metal blade with the same included angle. Use it to push abrasive cloth into the worm to polish it. Or load it up with lapping compound and polish the worm.

Comment

I would also consider that aluminum is not a good material to make a gear that experiances lots of sliding out of.

Try a brass worm and a steel wheel.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                        Nope... worms are hermaphroditic. Just need two... no gender. Why do I still know that?

Yes, I know. It was just a joke guys; just a joke.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                          I would also consider that aluminum is not a good material to make a gear that experiances lots of sliding out of.

Try a brass worm and a steel wheel.

A lot of worms and worm wheels I have seen are steel for the worm and bronze for the wheel. I suspect that bronze is better than brass here for some reason. Also not sure why it is not bronze for the worm and steel for the wheel. Perhaps the wheels are easier to replace in most applications: notice I said easier to replace, not cheaper to buy. I have also seen a lot that were steel and steel. Anybody else care to jump in on the subject of materials?
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

why bronze?

LMGTFY

http://www.oerlikon.com/balzers/en/a...es/worm-gears/

Comment

I made a worm and gear for the vernier for my 10EE's taper attachment, it starts about post #217;
                              http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...13/index6.html
                              In your case I would get a piece of all-thread acme stock and proceed from there, the flanks of the thread should be a lot smoother than a lathe cut one. The one I made is a very slow speed application, that so far hasn't been used. I found the formulas in "Machinist Ready Reference", and went from there in the design a fabrication. I'm quite sure you can find the same information in "Machinery's Handbook".
                              Harry

Comment

Working...
                              X