My latest find. . .Buffalo Forge Co post drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest find. . .Buffalo Forge Co post drill press

I just picked this up today. . .complete and functioning!

Last two pic's until I get a place to mount it. . .

Comment

Nice find! I love those old things & had one until someone talked me out of it.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Nice find Atomic Joe!! Those old post drills are very collectible!!

What's the "Scoop" on that Jeep? pickup in the pic that is partly showing??

Comment

Yep had one same brand and all .Hung on the wall of my shop for years until I gave it away. And it will drill a hole ,but will wear your arm out cranking the thing. Nice to look at but I don`t want to have to use one
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I'm still mad at my idiot uncle because of this.
            My grandfather had an identical unit and when he died my uncle took all his tools and peddled them off for a song and pocketed the money before anyone could do anything.
            When I was a kid I used to spend hours cranking it and listening to it chunk down each step.

I did manage to find and repurchase his vise and anvil tho.
            Last edited by KIMFAB; 06-09-2012, 11:42 PM.
            Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

My father currently has a dozen or more old post drills, and I think one of them is also a Buffalo Forge. He bought them ~15 years ago when they still commonly sold for <$10. Now that folks are spending significantly more (not sure why myself), he has sold most of what he had.

I say paint it up and hang it high on a wall.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

My dad powered one with a small electric motor and used it in his auto repair shop for many years. I do still have it.
                Don Young

Comment

Dang those things all look almost the same....

I have one on a post out in the shed, and most all of it except the advance mechanism looks virtually the same. I'm pretty sure mine isn't a Buffalo, but I for get what it really is.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Those things used to be in just about every Farmer's shed here and were gradually sold off or scrapped.

Thay are a OHS night-mare as you need two hands - one on the down-feed and the other to rotate the spindle and too many "bite/nip" spots ready and all too willing to grab the careless or unwary.

I hope that any who fancy them are not expecting too much of the chuck and spindle run-out.

I realise that many them - but I would neither let one on a post here or in the shop or even the property.

Comment

I wonder just how many of these drilling machines were produced over the years, Buffallo forge must have been a big plant One of my pals picked up one of these for himself over here in Scotland three weeks ago , would seem they were factored out to dealers to sell all over the world.

Comment

There was a Canadian division also, "Canadian Blower and Forge".

Still lots of that equipment around, but you have to search for it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          Those things used to be in just about every Farmer's shed here and were gradually sold off or scrapped.

Thay are a OHS night-mare as you need two hands - one on the down-feed and the other to rotate the spindle and too many "bite/nip" spots ready and all too willing to grab the careless or unwary.

I hope that any who fancy them are not expecting too much of the chuck and spindle run-out.

I realise that many them - but I would neither let one on a post here or in the shop or even the property.
                          Not quite so. This has an automatic downfeed. You might need a second hand to hold the part if you have no vise or hold-down, but otherwise it's a one-hand job to run it. Very kind to bits as well. I used one for years, and it rarely damaged a bit. The one pictured is odd in that it has an extended shaft on the flywheel, suggesting that someone once put a pulley on it for power. Some later Buffalo models had a grooved flywheel for this purpose.

My main drill for a long time was a big old Buffalo of odd configuration, which I've never seen another of. Can't keep the number in my brain, but it had a split nut on the feed screw, and a lever for lowering the feed, making it very fast to use as a self-feeding press, and if you had a hold-down or vise, it could be used as a sensitive press.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie

A nice, open-minded post......

1) as noted, it has auto downfeed.... ALL of them that I know of have that feature, and it is adjustable, depending on the stroke of the feed lever. The lever normally covers anything from one to 3 or 4 notches per crank rev, translating to that proportion of a turn on the feed collar, and a resulting feed per turn.

2) you seem to be comparing them to jig borers..... but they are drill presses... and they need NO electric service, which can be a big plus if the electricity goes out as often as it does in the US. Drill presses are not for jig borer precision, as you have yourself pointed out.

3) as for "letting one on the property", I strongly doubt that it would contaminate your shop.....
                            They are handy to have, and are a step between the "drill ratchet and old man" and the regular electric drillpress. A "drill ratchet and old man", or the equivalent, is also handy for turning large bits in work that can't be brought to the drillpress when your portable drill can't handle the job.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Say what you may,. Old Tiffie, but I used this drill press as seen here (not as mounted) for many years, and it drilled good holes, reasonably fast, with less effort and less strain than you'd expect. It is a very well designed tool. As you might see also, this one is quite unusual in having that split nut on top, and a lever allowing it to be used as a sensitive press, or simply to allow very fast return and resetting. It also allows gearing down for very heavy work. I bought it long long ago missing a couple of parts including the ratchet wheel, which I hurriedly made out of an old Fiat timing gear, meaning to do better some later time, but never bothering. It's a bit poorly filed, but goes fine. You may not want such a beast in your shop, but I would not be in any hurry to turn mine away, even though I rarely use it nowadays except for display.

Comment

Working...
                              X