drilling a #38 hole through a bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling a #38 hole through a bullet

Lets say I have this .308 bullet. I want to drill a #38 hole through long way. It's okay to remove bullet when half way through and turn it around to drill through from other end. When I've tried either way hole comes out other end off center or when drilling from both ends they don't align.

What am I missing here?

I had what I thought was a good reply, but being a fire arms novice i decided to take the safe route and not make a suggestion. My best friend loads his own ammo so being aware of the irregularities in bullet shapes, I can see how this may be a problem. As I see it, the goal is to either elliminate the irregulatities or design a fixture that compensates for those irregularities. Use your immagination something will come to you.
    Regards, Matt

Comment

Why do you want a hole through a bullet? Do you want to make it whistle?

Comment

Unless you'are very lucky you will almost always be off center in the middle no matter what you drill if you drill from both sides.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by debequem:
          Why do you want a hole through a bullet? Do you want to make it whistle? </font>
          Probably turn into a whistle about half way up the barrel

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Best to set up in a collet and drill all the way from one end.
            You're not making "distructive devises" are you?
            That won't make the ATF happy.
            mite

Comment

"Probably turn into a whistle about half way up the barrel"

Look on the bright side, it will be easier to screw an extractor in it.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Probably making a necklace for the better half.
                mite

Comment

Chuck the bullet (in the lathe) and drill from the tailstock.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I would also chuck the bullet up in the lathe also. But if you drill a hole thru a bullet wouldn't the rapid expansion of the powder burning blow thru the bullet?
                    You may want to take a boat tailed hollow point and drill from the base in the cavity.

These bullets would make great ear rings for some lady to wear at a gunshow.

Jerry

Comment

Those aren't uranium I hope.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Drill a #38 hole in a rotting tree and then insert the drill into the hole with the drill point facing out. Load the rifle with the .308 bullet that you want the hole in. Step back from the tree about 1000 yards and take aim at the drill. Pull the trigger and then retrieve the bullet with the hole in it. It may take two or three tries before you get the hole in the exact middle. Took me four tries but then I'm not a good shot.

Joe

Comment

I Know!
                          Get John Stevenson to hold an appropriate size drill in his dentures or better still fixed firmly in the zip of his trousers facing the magnum you are holding and gripping really tight.
                          Indicate with his middle finger when you should pull the trigger.
                          If you are a good shot it will be spot on.
                          John would have to be told about this only after he is well enough intoxicated and tied very tightly, otherwise a full and frank agreement on his part may not immediately ensue.
                          However when he tightly bound and is mulling it over I should fire otherwise he may ask for extra danger money. Make sure if you aim at his crotch he is wearing a pair of ower Gerts underpanties otherwise the bullet may penetrate his fathering regions. written under duress by Alistair while being threatened by Thrud with a large lump of hardened meatloaf
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. Some interesting some not.
                            A .308 contains lead and is covered in copper. No powder.
                            What I'm getting from this group is one has to be real careful when drilling through and sometimes it will line up and sometimes not. On those not's it will be close.

Comment

Lockmfg

Hopefully you are not planning on fireing a bullet with a hole in it, or are planning to fill the hole with other material to create a round that will cause massive distruction to what ever it strikes. A bullet with a hole will not exit the barrel of your rifle. Smokless powder does not explode, it burns at a controlled rate that varies from powder to powder thus building pressure in the case/chamber and pushing on the back of the bullet at a controlled rate causing it to move. A bullet with a hole will not build pressure sufficient for the bullet to exit the barrel, it will instead get stuck in barrel and create a dangerous situation for the shooter and perhaps others around him.
                              An even more dangerous situation can occur if you have several rounds of ammunition with holes and fire them in a semiautomatic firearm as it will make enough pressure to operate the action and load another round, you could be fireing the next round while having one bullet already stuck in the barrel.
                              I hope you are just making a key chain or something and the cautions above are not needed.

------------------
                              Paul G.
                              Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                              X