This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT : Overpaid?

I don't ever get involved in this type of stuff.. but watching the news for the past few days pisses me off.

Local recycling pickup drivers want the same wages and benefits as their garbage hauling equivalents. Ok...

So... "management" offers them $85K a year plus 4% increase per year over 4 years. Oh.. Nice medical and retirement also. And... rejected! Now talk of a strike.

Am I nutz? $85K rising to $98k for driving truck picking up garbage? Sign me up. Oh.. wait, I don't have an uncle in the union

Just seems way way out of line with many other truck drivers barely making a living.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM.

This topic truly depresses me. While I agree with what you're saying from a comparative standpoint to wages available to me personally, I have a strong counterpoint. Rather than arguing a straight up blue collar job is overpaid, I would rather point out the current imbalance of wealth in our society at this point in history. When I look at the larger picture, I tend to say that 85k should be a fair wage for a garbage collector in 2012. Instead, I see people I personally know making over 600k for jobs which are no less demanding mentally as a garbage collector's is physically. Ugh. It really makes me feel hopeless. Here's to hoping this thread gets out of hand real quick and George gives it a padlock so I don't have to see it in the que again.

Comment

There's not much "physical" about garbage collection in our area - mechanised lifting. Oh, one guy has to take off the lid and put it back on the grandfathered non-conforming cans (no hinged lids).

Yes, it is depressing, and more so that the continous increases and high labor rates can simply be passed to the consumers who have little say in what monthly pickup costs.
      Last edited by lakeside53; 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

85K for a recycling driver? That is ridiculous. I know they have to be out in all kinds of weather but so do the Postmen/women and they don't get that much. Maybe their union is not as powerful. What skills does a recycle driver have other than driving and dumping bins in a hopper?

The fact is that plumbers, electricians, pipe fitters, welders and other skilled workers can make $50,000 to $100,000 a year in the right area. The high schools don't tell the students about that, just that if they want to make over $50,000 a year they HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE than to go to college. Colleges are a big business ripping off the students coming out of high school and all the teachers are perpetuating this lie. Colleges are just an organization that dumps people out with high debt and no job prospects.

A skilled worker can make as much or more than a person with a college degree. The question is, do you want to get your hands dirty or do you want to sit in a chair all day.
        Last edited by Carld; 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Around here the garbage men pickup the garbage, the recycle guy picks up pop cans and newspaper, the grass guy picks up yard waste.

But before they make their rounds the true recyclers, the guys with their old beat-up pickup truck, scrounge the area first looking for any type of scrap metal. I believe they look at my garbage is a gold mine.

No union, no benefits, yet there is no shortage of them so we can assume that they are doing OK.

Comment

I live in lakeside's general neighborhood. Around here all pickups are done by fat guys in temperature-controlled comfy vehicles which they don't get out of - they pull up, push a button, and the robotic lifting arm does the work.

I used to be a shipyard laborer making $15/hour in the '70s. I'd hear guys bitching about our crappy pay and I'd tell them if they kicked out the unions and advertised for laborers for half our pay the line would be miles long.

Andy, the Teamster's Union is among the most powerful of all US trade unions. You are correct - the wage you cite is skewed. To pay an unskilled truck driver 1.5X what an electrical engineering starting salary is seems ludicrous to me too.

metalmagpie

Comment

Where's it say compensation is supposed to be commensurate with relative contribution to society and mankind?

It would be sickening to compare the pay of the world's leading scientists, medical researchers, technology pioneers, etc., to the likes of rockstars and their ilk.
              Last edited by lynnl; 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

A fair wage for a full days work is fine but these garbage and recycling people should be careful with their demands. In most places there isn't anything keeping recyclers and waste pick up from being privatized. Waste Management and several other waste haulers are already in business and will be happy to take over for smaller cost to a municipality or county.

Depending on where this is happening 85k may be a median income. I've heard that people who work in NY City make much more than people in smaller cities doing the same thing because the cost of living and taxes are so much higher. That's one reason they move to Florida after they retire.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                  Where's it say compensation is supposed to be commesurate with relative contribution to society and mankind?

It would be sickening to compare the pay of the world's leading scientists, medical researchers, technology pioneers, etc., to the likes of rockstars and their ilk.
                  I too have some real issues with the salaries of some professions especially stock brokers who specialize in derivatives.

That said, please let's be very careful about the OT's on this forum. I certainly do not want to see the mud slinging and name calling I have witnessed on a certain other "machinist" forum.

George does a fantastic job in this regard, but let's not over work him, especially on a weekend.

Comment

I have to say, it's admirable how civil this discussion is. However, just to play devil's advocate, its generally the accepted rule that those who are willing to negotiate their pay are in the end paid higher. That's how it works. If you shoot for the stars you might make the moon. But if this is in San Francisco, then 85k/ year to collect recycling is pretty much on par for the cost of living there. I don't know how SF compares to South Florida. Also, is this a municipal job, or is it a privately owned company?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
                      I'd hear guys bitching about our crappy pay and I'd tell them if they kicked out the unions and advertised for laborers for half our pay the line would be miles long.

To pay an unskilled truck driver 1.5X what an electrical engineering starting salary is seems ludicrous to me too.
                      My thoughts exactly.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I agree with Art. I think that everyone should be making those wages. The
                        ONLY people that are making a living wage are people that are in a union or
                        people with special talents that the company has to compete for.

When I was kid ... every family on the block had a dad that went to work
                        and a mother that was a housewife. That's gone. The wages have not
                        kept up with the cost of living. Companies are making historical
                        astronomical profits and they reward their employees by closing their
                        plants and moving them overseas so they can make just a little more.

You really don't know who your enemy is ... it's not the unions.
                        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Is there not a modicom of envy here?

Some of the posts complaining about how fortunate or well off others are are not pretty, nor is wanting to drive (pull?) those that are that fortunate in this instance down/back to a lower pay rate and social status .

Besides that, getting upset about things that you can do nothing about solves nothing and does no good either.

Comment

I say good luck to them ..

it ain't as bad as politicians or lawyers who are on hundreds of thousands for basically pushing a pen or opening their mouth and telling lie after lie .

all the best..markj

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
                              I'd hear guys bitching about our crappy pay and I'd tell them if they kicked out the unions and advertised for laborers for half our pay the line would be miles long.
                              The problem is systemic, not the unions. Banding together and withholding labour would be a reasonable negotiating tactic IF one of the possible responses was 'you're fired'. Around here this is not allowed. This would lead to the correct balance between how valuable the skills of existing labour are vs what others would do the job for. The systemic failure resulting from upsetting this balance is production and expansion moves offshore eventually leading to the same result - 'you're fired'. In the case of the unionized service sector (particularly public where management really has little motivation to be tough - they don't have to compete) the wages go up and up. Tragic to those who've gone to school or worked hard to earn a trade. That artificially high (meaning not supported by supply and demand) wage damages us all - its a burden making us less competitive.

Comment

Working...
                              X