Drawer liner smells like skunk....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawer liner smells like skunk....

Went to Lowes and got some of what I thought was the same material as last time..... A thin, ribbed rubber material intended as a floor covering.

Well, now they only had it in pre-cut rolls, all wrapped up in plastic.

So I get it home, and went to cut it up today.....

Sheesh.... It's not what I expected.... It is a harder material than the previous rubber, and it has that odd onion-like smell like skunk spray a ways downwind from the event.... Seems to be a property of the material, and not from a later incident....

That's assuming they don't have skunks in china..... (At the old work, we got speakers from the UK that stank of tomcat piss, but they ALWAYS did, so....)

Left it out and unrolled in hopes that it would dissipate, but a day of hot weather (35C) has not really lessened the stench much if at all....

What IS that stuff?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Some Chinese plastics really have a bad smell to them. I have heard about them before.

Comment

It will dissipate or at least get better and better,,,

Not skunk but I just bought a new throw rug for an area in the house --- unroll the damn thing and blahhh...

ranked out the entire room for days, not a good smell at all,

been a week and much better - also that could be because im just getting used to it

Comment

I've noticed the same odor with some screw driver handles. It is a pretty disgusting odor.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
          I've noticed the same odor with some screw driver handles. It is a pretty disgusting odor.
          I also have some screw driver handels that smell like crap. Craftsman and Snap On, at least 25 years old or more. I think the plastic breaks down after several years.

JL...............

Comment

We have whole shops here that sell Chinese stuff and stink most strongly, the smell is somewhat like creasote. I have been told that it is something they spray into the shipping containers to stop mould and mildew etc while shipped and stored.

Comment

That's got to be good for us!
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

"Smells like skunk" over here has a different meaning - you'd be fending off the local pot-heads - and possibly the drug squad
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
                  I also have some screw driver handels that smell like crap. Craftsman and Snap On, at least 25 years old or more. I think the plastic breaks down after several years.

JL...............

I have some US made Proto screwdrivers with yellow plastic handles - they are 25+ years old and still stink if left in a confined toolbox - yet the handles are in perfect mechanical condition. I think that the smell is from Butyric acid - the same chemical that gives vomit its characteristic smell. (You knew that you needed to know this!)

Ian.

Comment

Re: Smell:

Walk into a carpet store, that sells carpet and vinyl flooring,, Another STINKING place, can't imagine working in those places everyday.

Another one is lifts of "Flake Board" or "Aspenite" at builders supply stores.

Yup, really have to wonder what is in the air everyone is breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                      That's assuming they don't have skunks in china.....
                      Because they ground them all up to put into their rubber supply???

I replaced the tiny little plastic wheels that came on my band-saw with some 8" solid rubber wheels. The entire shop stunk like a HF store for months afterwards.

Comment

God only knows what that crap is off gassing in your shop. Take the stuff outside and lay it in the sun for a couple of days, turning over every now and then. That should get rid of most of it.
                        James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
                          God only knows what that crap is off gassing in your shop. Take the stuff outside and lay it in the sun for a couple of days, turning over every now and then. That should get rid of most of it.
                          Absolutely....

It's been out for one day already... and is out there now..... still a bit of a "pong" to it, not dissipating very fast.

had to put it in the garage last night, 60 mph winds and thunderstorm.... Garage stank when I went to get the stuff today.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                            At the old work, we got speakers from the UK that stank of tomcat piss, but they ALWAYS did, so....)

When I worked at the speaker manufacturing plant and we got an order in for the US we used to get the factory tom cat to piss in the crate..............obviously worked

Small world isn't it ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              When I worked at the speaker manufacturing plant and we got an order in for the US we used to get the factory tom cat to piss in the crate..............obviously worked

Small world isn't it ?
                              Did you get him to drink ale? otherwise that cat must have needed a little cart for his bladder to follow around on. Every single speaker had the smell.

Speaker company was Celestion..... Fane didn't stink.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X