Slowly getting there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowly getting there

After the scrapping of the big TOS I was left with what looked like a WWII battlefield.

From this.

to this.

And at the end of yesterday after a full days cutting chopping and welding we are now here.

Still looks a mess and a lot of what's strewn around is due to go into the new bench or sold on.

Bench is 12' long with 5 large tins in runners at the far end to hold useful short ends of steel, alloy and brass.

Two new 7 drawer cabinets from Machine mart for inserts and other small tooling, that will get rid of the cupboard above and I'll get the wall painted.

Two shelves this end to hold the nearly obsolete toolboxes from the truck garage.
    Next to that at the top will be a pull out drawer to hold the small CNC engraving machine as it only needs access to change the plate being engraved, no need to take up valuable worktop real estate.

Below that and next to it are cupboards. Ordered two big 10' x 5' MDF sheets for the worktop, shelves and door fronts.
    Get nephew to cut these out as he has a kitchen and bathroom business and has a CNC saw which works all the cuts out and saws very accurately.

Aim is to get 3 or 4 small CNC's on the top for small production work.

Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way and it's liable to be a bit protracted in getting done but it's getting better all the while.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Very nice!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Custom bench, looks stout too,

you sure are getting organized, going to kinda miss seeing pics of your old shop because it made me feel ok about myself...

Comment

Oh my! You make me feel really organized and cleaned up. Thanks for that.
        Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

The good news is you still have enough swarf on the floor that if sold for scrap would pay off the the queen's jubilee bill.

I don't recognize that planar feature below your broom - seems to cover most of the shop. Is that a floor?

Comment

You built that in ONE day? I need some of whatever meds you're on.

Looks great! Hope to see a working ORAC on it someday.
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

So your on your way to a neat,orderly,effecient,clean shop???

Just two questions,who are you and what have you done with John?
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Johm, is this your shop ....i thought i read an early thread where it sounded like you tacking the break up of shop, maybe someone elses ?

photo 2 makes me want to run away....3 presents some hope for the future

Comment

Are you working to a formula John? Such as 'scrap everything that hasn't been used in the last 3 years'?

I do that sometimes, though on a much smaller scale of course
                  Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                  Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                  Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

No it's not as bad as it sounds.
                    Lathe obviously went for scrap, slotter was sold on for a decent price to a good home as I now have a slotting head for the Bridgy and my slotting work is capable of being done on this.

Much of what else has gone for scrap are jig and fixtures for jobs or customers long gone. A fair amount of short bar ends have also gone for scrap as the boxes haven't been touched in years. Having said that there are still loads of bar ends left that I hope will get used.

Some is just plain rubbish and turnings from behind things, the mini skip is quite full, hopefully it gets emptied this coming week.

Some stuff should have not been saved in the first place, things like big lathe tools with damaged seats for inserts, too big to use and not worth repairing anyway, pure weight of scrap metal.

Found two revolving centres with MT7, yes SEVEN, no typo, shanks.
                    WTF takes those ??
                    Toss up whether to list on Ebay or just bite the bullet.

Thing is I know 80% of what's there but also know I'll never use it.

Take these drives for instance.

Many years ago I used to make these for the racing bikes.
                    Just found 20 bronze castings, un-machined, part of the 20% I don't know I have

Do I save them for another 20 years ?
                    Do I try to sell them as bare castings ?
                    Or do I weigh them in as scrap price of bronze is probably worth more that their resale value ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

My woodshop is just as bad at the moment . I have newly bought timber everywhere and can hardly move.Like your machine shop John it will all look good on the day.
                      I am always tinkerring with my shop design and am always changing things as I get new machinery or wood. this time I am clearing thining machinery were I have doubles and sorting out what I have made a real mess your shop will be great when finished too was it difficult to let go of the TOS lathe? I suppose you become attached after a while. ? Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                        was it difficult to let go of the TOS lathe? I suppose you become attached after a while. ? Alistair
                        In the case of the TOS, not it wasn't hard, just very relieved to be rid of it.

The problem was the lathe attracted the wrong sort of work. It could handle 2 metres between centres, that's about 84" and because of this I was getting jobs that had to be craned into the machine, turned undersize, craned out, push thru for welding, craned back in, turned to final size then craned out again. So probably 2 hours for a simple journal repair.

In that time I can do 4 to 6 smaller jobs that I can lift one handed and make more money.

The slotter was actually worse, you only use a slotter when it's either a weird job or blind hole, normal keyways are broached on a press and once setup with the correct broaches and guides it's dead easy.

Slotters are rare and once it's known you have one you get all the weird jobs, nothing straight forward.

Things like stainless medical or aerospace work that has something like 100 hours of work into it already, they want a 6" deep blind keyway putting in to 4 microns tolerance and if you f*uk up you pay for the whole lot to be redone.
                        Not worth the hassle for a £40 keyway, stick the price up and it's still not worth the hassle for a £80 keyway. Charge more and you are a robbing bastard, a no win situation.

Most of my work is small splines on pumps and fork truck motors, 3" deep max which the slotting head on the POS is capable off, suits me earns me money.

Comment

Looks like you have decided to work "smarter not harder"
                          Over the years many shops accumulate all sorts of jigs and other items which often were used on a daily basis but as customers change or thetype of work changes the time comes for a cleanup and rethink of procedures .
                          You can only keep "stuff" for a certain time before it mysteriously changes into "junk".
                          I have found that and after several cleanouts life is getting easier .
                          Now how to get rid of obnoxious customers.
                          Michael

Comment

So, I gather a slotting head turns a bridgeport into a...vertical shaper sort of.

Would that be a fair description?

I have never seen one in person.

Finest regards,

doug

Comment

From the lathes.co.uk page

This is the genuine Bridgy head, I got a similar one off a beaver mill which was made interchangeable.

Just as good but not being badged Bridgeport fetch a far less price.

going price over here for a Bridgy head is £600 to £950 depending on condition.

A Beaver head fetches £150 to £250, again it's the name.

Comment

Working...
                              X