End Mill Brand quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Mill Brand quality

I know that you get what you pay for, expecially with "import" brands. I am looking at Hertel, Niagara, Weldon and I think their better. What about the HTC and Atrax?? Also should I stay away from solid carbide cutters with a smaller mill like the Clausing 8520 or just watch my diameters. 2-3-4 flute ?? Is 3/4" cutter or bigger okay to use with this mill??
    Sorry for all the questions.

Regards
    skipd1

On aluminum you can get away with a solid carbide endmill on a manual machine. A 3/4" endmill is way too big on that machine except for light facing.

For aluminum I'd get a couple 3/8" 3 flute "finisher" carbide endmills from www.maritool.com, don't let the word finisher throw you, these will cut nicely on your machine. Use WD40 to keep the endmills from getting clogged.

On steel you better stick with HHS endmills, go with a couple one of the name brand 4 flute ones and you'll be fine, again I won't go any bigger than 3/8". Use sulfur based cutting oil (or thread cutting oil) on steel with these endmills.

Good luck-

Paul T.
    www.power-t.com

Comment

I think with end mills you prettymuch get what you pay for. Any of the name brands will most likely be of excellent quality. Personally,, I use Niagara as a general rulle but have used others with no complaint.

Repeat after me: used end mills are not worth buying! If they were, somebody wouldn't be selling them. If you can find somebody selling new name-brand end mills that were part of an auction lot or something though, you can sometimes get a great deal.

As far as the 852 goes, within its limits it's a great little milliiing machine. MAximum 1/2" shank, which limits cutters to reasonable size for the mill's capabilities. Solid carbide end mills will be fine; carbide inserts may overdo it, but that's just a guess.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have been buying Sowa M42 endmills and have been very happy
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Anybody used the Atrax brand and some others that are advertised in red, white, blue, but not listed as made in USA? Enco seems willing to list "made in USA" , but where are these others made? As for myself, I have had good luck with Niagra and Hertel. Pretty much Anything McMaster Carr sells is good quality. Bob.

Comment

I have bought quite a few Atrax carbide end mills,and have found them to be fine. Of course,I'm not running production runs with them. They are accurately ground and sharp.

Comment

i bought a ''freud '' carbide router bit . 1/2'' and 1/4 two flute endmill , they work realy well . and have a 1'' flute on the 1/4'' endmill . awesome for aluminum . and hard enough to do steels .
              i took a chance since they were $17 for 1/4'' and $30+ for the 1/2'' ,
              but i think compared to some of the cheap ones ive bought ( $5-14 busy bee) these were great .
              cheep end mills are usually crap .
              i have a tool/cutter grinder and it's crazy to sharpen a cheap cutter compared to a expensive one .. cheap ones grind away like they are butter , even on a soft grinding wheel .

Comment

What about this outfit?

This is timely. I just received this email from a carbide supplier. What do you think?

Dear Purchasing Manage,

Good day!

Carbide Burrs, Carbide End Mills , CNC inserts and threading inserts are our featured products.

1.Carbide Burrs (YG7 this grade which the Kennametal USA gave us) with good quality is approved by Kennametal USA

2.Carbide End Mills , we adopt the ZiGong Carbide ' Rods which is the most famous company in China, then we process to Carbide End Mills.

Recently our normal grade with 10% Cobalt.

3. Our CNC inserts are equivalent to Mitsubishi , TaeguTec which the customers feedback the quality information but at very good price.

4.The threading inserts are with very great quality. Frankly speaking, they are better quality than our CNC inserts.

We are very confidenced with our threading inserts. Coz all the customers are satisfied with them.

5. All of our tungsten carbide products are made from the high �purity original /virgin material, Pressed ( Extrusion) and Sintered But not recycle powder .

6.The samples can be sent to you if you need them to test.

Best Regards,

Steve

China Jetstar Cemented Carbide Precision Tools CO.,LTD.

Web: http://www.jetstartools.com

Key contact:lareina
                Email: [email protected]

FAX:86-0577-86763144
                Phone: 86-15057516887
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

For aluminum I like Lake Shore Carbide's Variable 3 Flute bits with the gold colored coating. I have been using them for years and they are great. They run very smoothly and are razor sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher
                    Anybody used the Atrax brand and some others that are advertised in red, white, blue, but not listed as made in USA? Enco seems willing to list "made in USA" , but where are these others made? As for myself, I have had good luck with Niagra and Hertel. Pretty much Anything McMaster Carr sells is good quality. Bob.
                    We have tried the Atrax brand end mills and they are the worst end mills I have used. An example, I was running a Swiftcarb 3/8" 3 flute EM in 6061 aluminum at 7500 RPM and 150 IPM. That cutter was running smooth and left a nice finish. It was time to change it out so I tried an Atrax EM. I didn't make any changes to the speeds and feeds but the new Atrax EM chattered badly and left a terrible finish. This happened on a few other occasions so we canned all the Atrax cutters.
                    Mark Hockett

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                      I think with end mills you prettymuch get what you pay for. Any of the name brands will most likely be of excellent quality. Personally,, I use Niagara as a general rulle but have used others with no complaint.

Repeat after me: used end mills are not worth buying! If they were, somebody wouldn't be selling them. If you can find somebody selling new name-brand end mills that were part of an auction lot or something though, you can sometimes get a great deal.

As far as the 852 goes, within its limits it's a great little milliiing machine. MAximum 1/2" shank, which limits cutters to reasonable size for the mill's capabilities. Solid carbide end mills will be fine; carbide inserts may overdo it, but that's just a guess.
                      A lot of these posts seem to assume that there is no reasonable tool & cutter grinder around.

I don't grind under 3/8" as its a PITA to set up - but I do if needs be.

If the cutter is not too knocked about you should get 2-3 "re-sharps" and you T&C grinder will start earning its keep, saving you money and being able to sharpen your cutters as you want - including the front rake. Router cutters are the easiest of all on a T&C grinder - but beware of the carbide dust.

Comment

In my case, I don't have a T&C grinder.

I also typically use small end mills.

There is also another consideration if the shop is supposed to be making money. A friend of mine runs a one-man shop. A few years ago he bought one of those fixtures with the built-in angles that let you sharpen the end of an end mill on a surface grinder. He took a dull end mill, mounted it in the fixture, installed the correct grinding wheel, and ran the end mill through the various positions until it was razor-sharp. He took it out and was admiring it when it occurred to him that he had just spent about $30 worth of his per-hour shop rate time sharpening an end mill he could buy for ten bucks. He promptly gave up sharpening end mills.

If the shop is a hobby and money is worth more than you value your time, that doesn't apply, of course. Or if you're set up to do the sharpening quickly enough to make it worthwhile
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I would stay away from Carbides anyway on the smaller lower Horsepower machines.
                          Weldon stuff as well as Niagra is hard to beat.
                          A retired Machinist/Toolmaker friend would be a Godsend if he has boxes of stuff still around especially newly sharpened "regrinds"

Comment

Originally posted by SGW

Some tool re-sharpeners sell reground end mills on ebay. Often for very good prices.

Comment

Was the Atrax also 3 flutes?

Originally posted by Mark Hockett
                              We have tried the Atrax brand end mills and they are the worst end mills I have used. An example, I was running a Swiftcarb 3/8" 3 flute EM in 6061 aluminum at 7500 RPM and 150 IPM. That cutter was running smooth and left a nice finish. It was time to change it out so I tried an Atrax EM. I didn't make any changes to the speeds and feeds but the new Atrax EM chattered badly and left a terrible finish. This happened on a few other occasions so we canned all the Atrax cutters.

Comment

Working...
                              X