My Lathe is uglier than your Lathe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Lathe is uglier than your Lathe!

Everyone shows pictures of nice shiny new looking lathes. Well I think we should have an uglest lathe contest & I think I'll win. Saw a 16"swing South Bend for $400. Ser# 5702hkrlo so I had to go look. Man is it ever ugly! But it has a quick change gearbox, runs great, everything works as it should, isn't worn out, is 230V sng phase but it's missing 1 cover, 1 door on the base, has a crack in 1 leg & is by far the ugliest lathe I've owned. OSHA could use this like GM uses crash dummy's. Guess what, I bought it for $200 & drove away happy once more. So go ahead & post your pics & I'll take some Sunday & trump them all. I really think George should make this an annual event with a new lathe for the winner. Good luck & may the ugliest win! (Lathe, not owner).
    Here's a great link to the SB numbering system http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html .
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Comment

Why Thank You Mr Scrooge!
      ~ James Madison

Comment

How can you have a beauty (or lack thereof) competition without pictures.? You can't possibly win, you're disqualified.

Phil

Comment

As I said in the post I'll take them today as it was dark & she's still on the trailer & I wanted to give you a head start.
          ~ James Madison

Comment

That was nice giving the head start! lol.

Comment

For heavens sake,, Now Flylo has bought up ALL the real nice lathes in the area, and now he's starting on buying up the ugliest lathes !!

Man, this guy is beyond help, totally addicted !!

Comment

Do I have to clean the swarf off of it before I take the picture?
                Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

OK - I'll play along - here is when I brought mine home on the trailer

Comment

Okay, I'll play...

Man, and I thought airguns were addictive :-)! What do you do with more than one? Anyway, here's mine, although I think it's beautiful, I doubt most would agree:

I had no business buying used machine tools when I bought this, knew absolutely nothing about them, but I got lucky, this has turned out to be the perfect machine for me and my purposes, working on those airguns I mentioned earlier. Later.

Dave

Comment

Told you it was ugly! All the small, loose pcs are in the truck. OK guys show me what you have uglier. Come on lets see pics!

~ James Madison

Comment

Oh flylo ,i have u beat. im gonna try to post a pick for 1st time so gimme a min.

Comment

Hmm, I use my phone to read and post,not a laptop like for photobucket.

Comment

If you're one that paints your machines, you're a couple steps ahead in the the stripping.
                            Harry

Comment

Those are NOT ugly......

THIS is ugly

Edited to add more ugly
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X