Sorting and storing small drills <.060

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting and storing small drills <.060

How accurate is measuring the drill shank for sorting as to the drilled hole size? How do you store small drills so that you can find what you are looking for?
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Not that accurate..... the shank diameter may not be the same as the distance across cutting edges, and many number drills are very close.

The "drill gauges" are "ok", but can also be in error unless good brands.

measuring the tip is best.

I use drill indexes, plus those plastic drawer sets as well as envelopes for the overflow.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

I beleve drills (good ones, anyway) have a slight taper in their length. Whether it's enough to mess up sorting by measured size I have no idea.

The only way to know the true cutting size is, as J Tiers says, to measure across the tip.

As far as keeping track of them, I favor Huot drill indexes.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have all my small drills,smaller than no 60 in a plastic drawer labeled "small drills" Probably not the best arrangement but they are not used that often.When Ineed one, I pull out the mikes and search for the one I need .Bob.

Comment

Working...
        X