Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a killer deal on an Emco V13 today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a killer deal on an Emco V13 today...

There was an estate auction for a gent that passed away a few years back near me that ended today. Much of the shop items were for sale, but a few of the bigger items were put in an online auction instead. With ten seconds to spare, I got this for $1300!
    It's in pristine condition. It looks like it was used mostly for brass judging by the chips in the catch pan. It has the 6"-3jaw, 8"-3jaw, 8"-4jaw, and 10" faceplate. Also the QCTP and quite a few bits. I didn't see a follower or steady laying anywhere. Does anyone know if they came standard with the lathe? If so, I'll definitely do some hunting around.

Luckily, he has a walk out basement. The bad thing is he must have gotten the hot tub after he got the lathe, because the dang tub is right in the way for an easy trailer pickup. I'll need to use an engine hoist on plywood and maneuver it around the tub.

The biggest problem I have is I don't have any room for it! I just got a new Novakon NH-145 CNC mill a couple of weeks ago. It's in the garage right now being rebuilt and scraped in.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...ld_thread.html
    Time to toss out the kids bikes!

Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
    www.scope-werks.com
    www.compufoil.com

Nicely done! Looks like a smokin' deal for $1300...
    Keith

Comment

Yummmm, Emco...nice score!

Geez Eric, I checked out your Novakon thread and I'm exhausted. I was going to do a little (paying) work in the shop tonight but I'm so knackered now I think I'll go watch TV with the wife.
      Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
        Yummmm, Emco...nice score!

Geez Eric, I checked out your Novakon thread and I'm exhausted. I was going to do a little (paying) work in the shop tonight but I'm so knackered now I think I'll go watch TV with the wife.
        The Novakon will replace the LMS CNC mill I've been working on. I made the TTS cylinder based on your plans, (I'm pretty sure you were the one that provided a very nice set of plans in a pdf file). Thanks again for that. It should make it easy to sell. I plan on using a variation of that on the new mill. I will probably either scale it up a bit or add a fourth piston to the stack. I want to get around 2500lb belleville pressure.
        www.scope-werks.com
        www.compufoil.com

Comment

Maxmat v-13

You should check out front to see if the Police are there yet, you didn't buy that you stole it ! I bought one new in 1980 and it took an $8000 dollar bill to get it. Mine came with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, no faceplate no steady rest and the tool holder was a 4 sided thing like on Turret lathes. Make sure you get all the change gears or there are a bunch of threads you can't do. These are very nice machines I've used mine alot and had no trouble.
          Lumpsmith

Comment

Stunning deal... The V13 is on my bucket list.. but most are $4-6K and highly sought after.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Rose
              You should check out front to see if the Police are there yet, you didn't buy that you stole it ! I bought one new in 1980 and it took an $8000 dollar bill to get it. Mine came with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, no faceplate no steady rest and the tool holder was a 4 sided thing like on Turret lathes. Make sure you get all the change gears or there are a bunch of threads you can't do. These are very nice machines I've used mine alot and had no trouble.
              I had a maximum bid of 2500 on it. Even THAT would have been a good deal, but I told myself that if I got outbid at $2500, then it was for the best anyway because I rally have no idea where I'm going to put it yet. For $1300, I welcome the head ache.
              I'm heading over there tomorrow morning to pick up all the small goodies to make sure they don't go missing. Thanks for reminding me about the change gears. I didn't see them anywhere. I hope to convince the auctioneer to let me look through some of the cabinets and tool boxes for them. I figure as long s I can prove that they are part of the lathe, they should have no problem letting me have them.
              www.scope-werks.com
              www.compufoil.com

Comment

Nice score,at $1300 it's safe to say you suck
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

ARGHHH!! I just called the auction company to leave a message and ask when I could start picking up the goodies. Surprisingly, someone actually answered. They said there was a reserve on the lathe and they are not sure if it was [email protected]#[email protected]#$. What are the chances of a $1000 reserve...not likely...especially if you saw what they were pricing some of the other stuff at; like $400 for a small 4" horizontal bandsaw..

I'll know more tomorrow....but I won't be able to sleep tonight...
                  www.scope-werks.com
                  www.compufoil.com

Comment

I really hope u get it - but let this be a lesson to u - it's bad joo-joo to gloat about something that's not on your premisses yet, even if in the back of your pick-up u still gotta get it home safe.

Like someone stated - get it home and make sure the cops don't show up for a couple days and then we'll all tell you u suck...

Comment

Thats one of the nicest looking Enco's I've seen...very nice.

Joking aside...I have one myself and can send you the manuals if you PM me your email address.

Rob

Comment

Hope you get it,thats a fine machine!
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

I wish you years of enjoyment with your new toy. Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Still no word from the auctioneer. Apparently they are having trouble reaching the owner. He's down in Florida and had to evacuate because of the tropical depression. I'm quickly slipping into a Michigan depression myself. There's a whole nother story that goes into my getting a new lathe. In September of 2010, I put down $1250 for a Clausing Master selling for $2500 in Cincinnati. The guy selling it was some retired rich lawyer jetting around and currently in California. He eventually sent my money back, but I spent 19 months, an no less than 22 failed promises of when he would be available for me to pick i up. I spent considerable time and effort borrowing engine hoists, a trailer, etc.. to be poised to pick it up. I had even bought a new Newall DRO for it. Last I heard from him he was going to be back in Cincinnati for Easter and he would call me. That never happened so I just gave up and started looking again...and then I found this lathe....good Lord don't take my lollipop away from me again!!
                            I don't know if the change gears are available as I didn't see them anywhere. If I didn't meet the reserve price, which I'm quite sure I didn't, what would be a reasonable price to offer, (with and without the gears). The tooling he had with it was just a collection of brazed carbide. He did have one nice insert tool holder.
                            Last edited by AiR_GuNNeR; 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM.
                            www.scope-werks.com
                            www.compufoil.com

Comment

I think your max bid of $2500 with the gears should suffice. That machine is well worth it as it is one of the best for its size (I'm not including the Monarch 10EE or the Hardinge as they are of a different class). I'd check with Emco to find out how much it would cost to replace the gears and adjust as necessary.

I do hope you get the machine as its an excellent find.

Comment

Working...
                              X