Steel + Aluminum ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel + Aluminum ok?

Wheel adapters - 2 different bolt circles (120 mm vs 115mm) 1" thick - Questions. 1) 6061 strong enough 2) Steel studs into aluminum ok? - no corrosion problems? - anodizing necessary? Generally speaking this whole concept seems like it might not be safe. Am I being paranoid? Thanks all

Not paranoid. you will get inter galvanic corrosion
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbrock
      Not paranoid. you will get inter galvanic corrosion
      any way to mitigate? Will anodizing eliminate problem?

Comment

Zinc plated studs is cheaper. Peter
        The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

I would not use 6061. I would use at least 7075 T6 much stronger.
          Craftsman 101.07403
          Grizzly G0704
          4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

I would use thread inserts so they can corrode to the aluminium and the thread won't wear with use. Helicoil or any of the other brands.

I would only use 7075 if I didn't have to pay for it myself
            (or if you couldn't engineer enough strength into the size restrictions...)

Igor

Comment

Just buy the right wheels for the car?

I wouldn't worry about corrosion as much as concentric hubs, cracking, loosening bolts/studs, and excess bearing "off center" load.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                I wouldn't worry about corrosion as much as concentric hubs, cracking, loosening bolts/studs, and excess bearing "off center" load.
                +1. For liability's sake I would spend the $100 rather than potentially being held liable for the rest of my natural life.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor

I would only use 7075 if I didn't have to pay for it myself
                  (or if you couldn't engineer enough strength into the size restrictions...)

Igor

For the op's App you have to ask your self " What's your loved ones life worth " 6061 would never hold up. That said yes the material will most likeley cost more than the addaptor plates he needs.
                  Craftsman 101.07403
                  Grizzly G0704
                  4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

Originally posted by kd4gij
                    For the op's App you have to ask your self " What's your loved ones life worth " 6061 would never hold up. That said yes the material will most likeley cost more than the addaptor plates he needs.
                    Your qualified help is greatly appreciated and I thank you, but I need to know; is this an opinion or can you say this with authority? Have you seen a failure? Do you really know the stresses involved. You make this statement without knowing whether the wheels in question are driven or not (or even for a small trailer).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if what you say is really true I would do my best to dissuade my friend from continuing with this project.

I do not have this knowledge (that is why I posted) but if I am going to follow your directions I need to know that you really know what you are talking about. Thanks again; all of you.

Comment

There really is not enough information given for an authoritative answer. A good drawing would help.
                      Certain words and phrases really set off the liability alarms, "wheel adapter" is near the top of the list.
                      Historically, wheel adapters have earned a well deserved bad reputation. Primarily due to a few really poorly designed, cheaply manufactured, and haphazardly employed products.

Depending on the very specific application, a well engineered part could almost certainly be made from 6061. There certainly are better materials, usually it's just a matter of what's available.

Corrosion is fairly easily addressed by selective plating/anodizing and/or something high tech like... paint.

Just do a search for "wheel adapter" on ebay for examples.
                      Last edited by dfw5914; 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I cannot see how anyone can give a definitive answer to this inquiry without knowing the SPECIFIC application. If the OP is building a kiddie go-cart, his material choice might be fine. If a high speed automobile... maybe a different answer. You might be able to address the possible corrosion issue, but without knowing loadings and/or stresses, I would make no statements as to a particular material suitability.

To the OP: care to elaborate? You may get more and better informed answers.

Mark

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't know how to post pictures and can't take the time to figure it out right now. I really need to do that though.

The adapters will be on the rear of an older turbocharged Supra (front wheel drive, I think). Two 5 bolt patterns of 120mm & 114.3mm. The adapter must be thick enough to cover the lug nuts for the 114.3 bolts. The material he has is about 1.5" thick, 6061 8" flat bar.

I figured to bore the holes on the Bridgeport (freshly scraped) and I feel confident in my ability to coach him sufficiently so as to locate the holes within a thou (or 2). The flat bar will then be made round (lathe + fixture or mill + rotary table). We will have to see if the two faces of the flat stock are parallel. If not, then fly cut. The studs will be purchased, are like T-nuts, and are pressed in.

So that's the deal. I am very interested in what you all have to say. Thank you.

Comment

That is a high performance sports car RWD. I can tell you that Wheel adapters are not alowed at eny race track. And yes I did crack a 7075 wheel adapter an a 66 vw beatle with just over size carbs. thay where 1" thick. Do what you wan't but I would never put them on a car like that. But that is just my 2cents worth.
                            Craftsman 101.07403
                            Grizzly G0704
                            4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

I thought all supras were RWD?

Comment

Working...
                              X