Rigging and mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging and mileage

Went to do an install today about 110 mile away up the motorway.
    Won't show any pictures of the rigging as not to upset anyone's sensibilities but it went without a hitch.

However on the way up there tootling along at a steady 65 to 70 so as not to spill my drink or upset my listing of my audio book I glanced down at the trip mileage.

Often seen just over 40 mpg and once I saw 42.1 but looked down and was getting a consistent 43.5 mpg.

By the time i fished my cell phone out the speed had dropped a bit but still getting the same reading.

Not bad for a 3 tonne gross van running half loaded ?

Finished the trip at 234 miles and average of 41.8

I reckon the old Donald was only good for about 32 mpg.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

No Officer...honestly...I was just taking a photo with it..

Dont they run up and down the M1 in your area using a truck so they can see into cabs.

Rob

Comment

Did the deal with Cuemaker. Hauled 1 large Enco mill 3300#+, Plus 1 Large Bridgeport with riser about the same weight & 1 J head Bridgeport, a 3 headed drill press & large band saw + rigging pulling a 15000# GVW (not net) tandem dump trailer 500 mile+ round trip & averaged 20.28 with the Cummins Dodge Diesel with the overdrive off the whole trip. I think the trailer & load without the the truck netted about 15,000#. We dropped off 1 mill but almost replaced it's weight out of the scrap bin. I really like my Cummins/Dodge 4x4 Diesel. At 1600rpm I'm doing 60 & at 2000rpm I'm doing 75mph with OD on. In 2000 I boght the same body style in 2WD V6 gas lightest duty made & never beat 15MPG.
      Last edited by flylo; 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Your mileage may vary

Yep, and CSX rail wants you to beleive they can move a ton of freight 400+ miles on a gallon of diesel.

Fuel mileage calculators in vehicles are notorious for being wrong. Even when they do get reset.

Ken

Comment

Did you have a tail wind?
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

How many straps were you using? I hope to god you were getting pulled from the front....

Please tell us you didn't run the strap under the truck and get pulled from the hitch yet forward --- kinda unstable wouldn't you think -- anything sinking in yet?

Comment

Damn, those Imperial gallons sure are getting big!

Maybe the [insert Govt. agency] hacked your vehicle and fudged the mileage calculator.

Comment

Is that an imperial gallon?
                Did the mpg reading at the pump substantiate the trip computer's figures?
                Ultimately that's the only reading that counts.
                If it did, even if they were imperial gallons you've got a keeper.

The CSX figure of 400 ton/miles per gallon seems a little conservative.
                Next to ships rail is definitely the most cost effective and efficient mode of transport.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

You can choose to believe me or not, but all this hype on good milage/hybrids are not new. I had several diesel Rabbits getting 55mpg & a Geo Metro(Susuki Swift) that got 50mpg & they sold new for $5995. I believe John got that milage & ask Cuemaker about our load. "Just the facts, Mam" And yes I fiqure it manually at the pump.
                  Last edited by flylo; 06-27-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

One significant difference is that European air quality standards are much lower than those in the US. This in turn has a dramatic effect on the fuel mileage, especially diesels.

Case in point Ford sells a diesel hybrid Transit van in "the old country" that gets superb fuel mileage, but is too dirty to meet our emission standards.

Comment

No matter how you look at it, that is good mileage for a large vehicle.

No doubt it was the combination of constant speed, some tailwind or incline to help out. It sounds like John was also picking the speed that was best for him, not necessarily needing to flow with traffic.

Most trucks have a COD that is huge by comparison to the economy cars, but the mpg per pound of payload is pretty good on the open road.

The CSX figure is probably quite accurate at 400 ton/miles per gallon. Just start measuring after you get up to speed and all the way till you coast to a stop. I imagine that rolling resistance is minimal with steel wheels, and the wind resistance is less than a truck of equal size since all 100 train cars are in the wake of the one ahead of it.

I got 150 ton/miles to the gallon once. Well, roughly. My car is just about 1.5 tons and I got 100 mpg for over a hundred miles. That's the same math.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        Often seen just over 40 mpg and once I saw 42.1 but looked down and was getting a consistent 43.5 mpg.
                        That's great!

By my calc you saved 1.71 gallons (7.77 liters) which at British prices is a bunch of dough.

Like everybody around here I like to drive my truck. When gas prices zoomed 5 years ago I was having 'pump shock' when it was costing $140+ to fill my truck. I bought a Mazda Impreza - zero down, which is a beautiful car, and I paid for the payments with gas savings alone.

Comment

Hmph....

I used to get 40+ mpg in an old leaded-gas carburetor-type gas car.... then later 35 mpg in a type and brand vehicle that by 15+ years ago was chopped down to 20 mpg presumably by anti-pollution gear.

If you get bad enough mileage, it can pay to step up.....

but once you start with decent mileage, the total even if you bought ZERO gas gets to be too small to pay for much... unless you drive a lot of miles.

if you drive 10,000 miles per year (a round number that is close to what I do), then

10 mpg 1000 gallons
                          15 mpg 667 gallons
                          20 mpg 500 gallons
                          25 mpg 400 gallons
                          50 mpg 200 gallons

I get about 25 in the truck on highway, averaging many fills.

To save enough to buy another vehicle..... if it got 50 mpg, it would take me 10 years to pay for a $10,000 vehicle with gas at $5, and I doubt I could buy that mileage for that money. That is taking NO account of the "time value of money".... which would cut the profit down a decent amount.

But if I drove a 10 mpg gas hog, I could pay for that same mythical $10,000 50 mpg car in 2.5 years using the same rules.

Faster payback with more miles per year, naturally. Or with crazy-high gas prices.

And of course, that is regarding it only as a passenger vehicle.... if the truck has a use AS a truck, a $10,000 50 mpg "egg car" is absolutely not going to be a substitute, and the discussion is of no value.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I'll buy one, no make that two, tomorrow please!
                            James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                              Hmph....

I used to get 40+ mpg in an old leaded-gas carburetor-type gas car.... then later 35 mpg in a type and brand vehicle that by 15+ years ago was chopped down to 20 mpg presumably by anti-pollution gear.

If you get bad enough mileage, it can pay to step up.....

but once you start with decent mileage, the total even if you bought ZERO gas gets to be too small to pay for much... unless you drive a lot of miles.

if you drive 10,000 miles per year (a round number that is close to what I do), then

10 mpg 1000 gallons
                              15 mpg 667 gallons
                              20 mpg 500 gallons
                              25 mpg 400 gallons
                              50 mpg 200 gallons

I get about 25 in the truck on highway, averaging many fills.

To save enough to buy another vehicle..... if it got 50 mpg, it would take me 10 years to pay for a $10,000 vehicle with gas at $5, and I doubt I could buy that mileage for that money. That is taking NO account of the "time value of money".... which would cut the profit down a decent amount.
                              What you don't get is even if you "break even" your not breaking even -- there's far more to consider than just pocket book expenses --- like fossil fuels don't come back -- once u burn it it's gone baby, then there's the cold truth of supporting people that are trying to kill you with the money u give them.......

Comment

Working...
                              X