X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Roads, they need some work.

Road in my state heaved from the heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0l3...layer_embedded

I've traveled everywhere and know the roads are pretty darn bad all over the country.
    Andy

That's unreal --- im all for testing the boundaries but not at others expense - that goes for if the occupants were out for a "joy ride" or if the highway crew didn't have it properly marked - funny things can happen to front end geometry when you twist it all into a pretzel...

Then who know's --- a video that's put on by someone named "Pink fiery lu lu" could be suspect also, but I think it's real.
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Fake, Fake, and triple Fake.
      I call Shennanigens.
      If that heave was really that large, large enough to launch a car 20 feet into the air, the Highway Dept. would've shut down the freeway and detoured everybody, instead of just putting up orange Warning signs.

Comment

I have personally seen a newly paved road heave up in the air about 1 1/2'. Pave job was just done,don't know how it happens as roads are paved very often and have not seen it since.
        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

If it's real I would think you would need to get your back adjusted after that one,,, maybe neck too after being compressed during hitting the car roof...

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
            Fake, Fake, and triple Fake.
            I call Shennanigens.
            If that heave was really that large, large enough to launch a car 20 feet into the air, the Highway Dept. would've shut down the freeway and detoured everybody, instead of just putting up orange Warning signs.
            Are you suggesting some things posted to YouTube aren't real???

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF
              Are you suggesting some things posted to YouTube aren't real???

Steve
              Yes Virginia, there are bad people out there.
              Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

if you read the comments ..someone local mentions that the cones were put there when the damage was only slight ..on the same day ......later that day it got a lot worse ...and that was the last car to go over it .

all the best.markj

Comment

The trajectory was very believable -- as was the reaction of the person filming --- if your going to make a hoax you don't remove the camera from the action,

also - the smoke cloud and all other aspects that I can see look real - so if it's a hoax its a damn good one...

Comment

That video was on the Fox news this morning. They said it was from a buckle caused from heat.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Did Fox just broadcast the video or did they say they confirmed the situation with the DOT or sent someone out to confirm it?

Reason I ask is a number of years ago Fox put on their web site the "People from PETA decided to screw up a deer hunt in Ohio by putting orange vests on the deer" story. A buddy pointed it out to me at work and it immediately pegged my BS meter as there is no way a bunch of PETA boneheads are going to TACKLE a deer so they can put a vest on it. A quick check showed none of the business sources listed in the story actually existed.

Note - that's not a slam against Fox, all the majors have run stories they shouldn't have.

Steve

Comment

I don't want to load it again cuz i have dial up --- but im memory serves correct I may have noticed one discrepancy --- when u first see the vehicle does there seem to be a speed "hiccup"?

like it was going along and then all the sudden immediately picked up speed in a split second?

also could be my monitor as I have to hit it every few seconds to keep it working...

Comment

The news on Fox showed the bump and said there was a heat wave and roads were buckling and it only showed the car hitting the bump and flying up in the air. Nothing showing the car crossing the medium or other lane.. I guess if it was one of those cement roads and it got hot enough, sections could buckle up??? I will see if I can find the news thingy on the internet.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

After driving my RV from Coast to Coast a couple years ago I say anything is possible. The roads in the WI and IL area were some of the worst. The roads between the campground and the CNC workshop in MI were interesting also.
                            It used to be the roads East West in that are were superior to the roads in Canuckastan but things seems to have changed. The cheaper gas would not even lure me back there again if I was making the trip again.

That being said I would carefully validate that video before I would bet on its authenticity.

Dave

Comment

It's real.
                              Here's a link to an update on repairs and a news video about the incident.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/_...161022435.html

UPDATE:
                              CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) -- All lanes have now been reopened after the heat caused the road to buckle on Highway 29 in Chippewa County.
                              The Chippewa County Sheriff's says the buckling happened around 5:15 p.m. Sunday evening on Highway 29 westbound, near County Highway T.
                              Deputies say all lanes were blocked for several hours. Roads reopened around 10 p.m.
                              This is not at all an uncommon occurrence during spells of hot weather.
                              Concrete roads especially are very sensitive to temperature extremes due to expansion and contraction, asphalt is much more forgiving in this respect because of it's flexibility.
                              A quick Google shows a large number of these incidents presently due to the extreme heat in certain parts of the nation.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X