Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michigan doug
    replied
    That car had to be 5-6' in the air. The driver was lucky and/or talented enough not to roll the car a dozen times and get killed.

Finest regards,

doug

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Happens a lot down here in the summer,especially on sections built over marsh or low ground.It happens most times in draught,the road base drys out and contracts and the road surface has nowhere to go but up.Usually at the same time a gap will open somewhere near the hump.It's not as bad as it used to be since they started using wider than normal expansion joints.

A friend of mine was nearly killed once because of it.The interstate had buckled up and the DOT had gone out and filled the gap with crushed limestone as a temporary but did not put up any cones or signs.Traffic worked the limestone out of the gap and my buddy hit it at interstate speed on a motorcycle.

Front end folded,flipped him and the bike,he hit the road and went sliding,bike landed and followed him down.He slid for quite a ways from what the witnesses said.Road rash and several broken bones,but he lived.The state came out on the weekend and paved the gap over with asphalt and put signs up before anybody got pictures.I don't think his insurance company ever got any money out of the state either.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I bet they slow down for signs from now on.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Seen it on the news last night - the occupants had to go to the hospital...

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I have been down that highway many times and it does get BAD (real bad) when it is hot outside. I have no doubt the video is real, the (deal) has been on pretty much every news channel and paper around these parts.

I just find it kind of weird that people will pull out a video camera and wait for someone to come along rather than flag down and stop the traffic.

But I did get a laugh out of it though (assuming no one got hurt). Can you imagine the drivers surprise!

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Im just using my physics judgment so am by no means a video expert - but along with the trajectory being pretty close there is something else that happens in a really hard slam like that that matches up --- the vehicle immediately going off to one side,,,

this is simple front end geometry ----- it is the result from the front end spreading out - the wheel track actually gets much longer as the sub frame structures fatigue --------- yet - the rack and pinon or many other steering types remain the same distance -------- depending on where the tie rod ends mount (fore or aft) this equates to either extreme toe in or tow out --- one is more controllable and one will make the vehicle dart to one side or the other...

but both are unpredictable if it's a radical degree...

Leave a comment:

• skunkworks
    replied
    it is probably real

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...140712287.html

sam

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    It's real.
    Here's a link to an update on repairs and a news video about the incident.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/_...161022435.html

UPDATE:
    CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) -- All lanes have now been reopened after the heat caused the road to buckle on Highway 29 in Chippewa County.
    The Chippewa County Sheriff's says the buckling happened around 5:15 p.m. Sunday evening on Highway 29 westbound, near County Highway T.
    Deputies say all lanes were blocked for several hours. Roads reopened around 10 p.m.
    This is not at all an uncommon occurrence during spells of hot weather.
    Concrete roads especially are very sensitive to temperature extremes due to expansion and contraction, asphalt is much more forgiving in this respect because of it's flexibility.
    A quick Google shows a large number of these incidents presently due to the extreme heat in certain parts of the nation.

Leave a comment:

• DFMiller
    replied
    After driving my RV from Coast to Coast a couple years ago I say anything is possible. The roads in the WI and IL area were some of the worst. The roads between the campground and the CNC workshop in MI were interesting also.
    It used to be the roads East West in that are were superior to the roads in Canuckastan but things seems to have changed. The cheaper gas would not even lure me back there again if I was making the trip again.

That being said I would carefully validate that video before I would bet on its authenticity.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    The news on Fox showed the bump and said there was a heat wave and roads were buckling and it only showed the car hitting the bump and flying up in the air. Nothing showing the car crossing the medium or other lane.. I guess if it was one of those cement roads and it got hot enough, sections could buckle up??? I will see if I can find the news thingy on the internet.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I don't want to load it again cuz i have dial up --- but im memory serves correct I may have noticed one discrepancy --- when u first see the vehicle does there seem to be a speed "hiccup"?

like it was going along and then all the sudden immediately picked up speed in a split second?

also could be my monitor as I have to hit it every few seconds to keep it working...

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied
    Did Fox just broadcast the video or did they say they confirmed the situation with the DOT or sent someone out to confirm it?

Reason I ask is a number of years ago Fox put on their web site the "People from PETA decided to screw up a deer hunt in Ohio by putting orange vests on the deer" story. A buddy pointed it out to me at work and it immediately pegged my BS meter as there is no way a bunch of PETA boneheads are going to TACKLE a deer so they can put a vest on it. A quick check showed none of the business sources listed in the story actually existed.

Note - that's not a slam against Fox, all the majors have run stories they shouldn't have.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    That video was on the Fox news this morning. They said it was from a buckle caused from heat.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    The trajectory was very believable -- as was the reaction of the person filming --- if your going to make a hoax you don't remove the camera from the action,

also - the smoke cloud and all other aspects that I can see look real - so if it's a hoax its a damn good one...

Leave a comment:

• aboard_epsilon
    replied
    if you read the comments ..someone local mentions that the cones were put there when the damage was only slight ..on the same day ......later that day it got a lot worse ...and that was the last car to go over it .

all the best.markj

Leave a comment:

Working...
X