Got the K&T Mill Put in the Garage Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the K&T Mill Put in the Garage Today

Well, it was a very hot and nerve wracking couple of hours, but I managed to get it in the garage. My fiance helped me get it part of the way down the ramp but then she had to leave for work. Getting it the last couple of feet into the garage turned out to be a real PITA.

Here are some pictures to show to your OSHA inspector:

Had the trailer jacked way up and a bunch of 3/4" black pipe rollers. Probably should've used something heavier as they got all bent up rolling down the ramp, but oh well. Couldn't go much bigger and still have enough clearance to get it in the garage!

It was a tight squeeze there for a little bit, but once I got it off the ramp, it slid in. Stalled out about 3/4 of the way down the ramp and needed some persuasion from a handyman jack. It was a slow process of letting out some slack and then pushing the base a little... lots of back and forth.

Here it is in the garage. You'll have to excuse the mess - eventually, I'll get it into the basement proper will it will be used. the garage will be the dirty shop with grinders/welders/torch etc.

The best part is: I still have all my fingers and toes! Actually, I'm really excited because I can get the top of the mill open to change speeds without hitting the ceiling. I posted an earlier thread because I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get to get the top open with a low ceiling, but it clears by about a hair. Should be even better once I get it off the rollers.
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM.

Looks good! I'm jealous!! Lol. But how low are your ceilings?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamper84
      Looks good! I'm jealous!! Lol. But how low are your ceilings?

Somewhere around 89". There's 8' between the top of the floor joists and the concrete floor but in some areas they've put up lathes and plaster, which further reduces headroom. It's a pretty tall mill - in fact, there is a built in "step ladder" to get to the top of the mill to change speeds!

Comment

Aaa ok. I still don't have enough head room 7 foot ceilings suck!!! But do you suppose you could post some more pics of it sitting inside??

Comment

Originally posted by Tamper84
          Aaa ok. I still don't have enough head room 7 foot ceilings suck!!! But do you suppose you could post some more pics of it sitting inside??

Oops ... Hah! I posted the same picture twice. Let's fix that...

Comment

I learned my lesson with pipe for rollers too.
            They squish.
            My next move will be with 1" SOLID bars for rollers

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
              Oops ... Hah! I posted the same picture twice. Let's fix that...
              WOW that is a tight fit!!!

Comment

That is a SOLID looking Mill!

I'm sure it will make you some very well placed cuts.

Well done getting it in without losing any toes.
                Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

K&T Mill

We used to call those K&T Die mill. That is one of the best manual machines ever made. The cool thing about them is the head rotates 360 degrees with power feed. You can do any combination of radius, angle, radius with tangent angle, etc. About the closest thing to CNC long before CNC except maybe a hydraulic trace mill.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
                    That is one of the best manual machines ever made. The cool thing about them is the head rotates 360 degrees with power feed. About the closest thing to CNC long before CNC except maybe a hydraulic trace mill.
                    Yep very cool machines. I made a single cylinder steam engine crankshaft (along with a bunch of other things) with one. Sure made cutting the offset easy as could be.

Comment

that thing is bloody huge!, i noticed somthing abou K&T, they seem to be similar to cincinatti in many things, even green plastic knobs on mine the same as a kt in work.
                      well done
                      mark

Comment

Fasttrack,

Looks like you had rigging enough for the job and knowledge to use it.

Generally you keep your fingers and toes if you work by yourself or have very dependable help. If need be do not be afraid to drill the floor for anchor pins so that you have a place to pull from. I have used them to both push and pull when moving heavy things.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ford
                          Fasttrack,

Looks like you had rigging enough for the job and knowledge to use it.

Generally you keep your fingers and toes if you work by yourself or have very dependable help. If need be do not be afraid to drill the floor for anchor pins so that you have a place to pull from. I have used them to both push and pull when moving heavy things.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Earlier I considered going out and renting a hammer drill to do just that. I wasn't sure how well it would work, though. Glad to know that wasn't a completely crazy idea... I may have to use it when it comes time to move the Pacemaker lathes!

Comment

Good Job! If you think it thru & use your head it normally goes well. Nice Machine. I hope to get the Pacemaker home weekend after this if it cools off & it going right where it will live, Do you have a manual by chance & I may have questions. That mill kinda matches the Pacemaker as far as mass.

Comment

ah now I get it, way to go...that is a beauty!
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X