X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • needlenose
    • Dec 2011

Finally!

Two years after purchasing my mill, I finally made a stand for it and got it mounted. Perhaps in another two years I'll get around to plugging it in.

How level does the mill need to be? I built a "swash plate" type leveling system into the lathe table and spent about half a day dialing it in with a machinist's level. Does the mill require the same degree of attention since the base is so narrow?

• Bob Fisher
    • Jan 2006

Neither machine needs to be level, only that they are straight. Being level is nice since you can then use measuring tools more easily to set angles. Nice stand by the way. Lot of wasted space under tho, I can't afford that much unused space in my place. Bob.

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
      • Aug 2002

That stand looks sturdy enough for a Bridgeport. :-)
      ...lew...

Comment

• sasquatch
        • May 2006

Agreed nice looking stand, well done.

Now it just needs some mill matching green paint.

Comment

• Mike Burdick
          • Jan 2003

Yes, very nice looking and well made! Thanks for post the picture!

Comment

• DICKEYBIRD
            • Apr 2004

Yup, GREAT looking stand! You will need to add a couple shelves though.

I built a similarly proportioned stand for my surface plate and had a devil of a time jigging it up for the first tack welds. How'd you do yours? I ran out of bungee cords, baling wire, magnets, duct tape, rope, hands, feet and other items I can't remember right now and still had trouble getting it together.
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Yes excellent job on the stand. I too recommend painting it ASAP so you do not have to clean it of cutting oil, etc. before the paint job.

Yes level is relative, just make sure it is straight and not twisted from the stand. Consequently I'd make any necessary adjustments between the stand & the mill. Just leave the stand mounted as is to the floor.

Comment

• needlenose
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bob Fisher
                Lot of wasted space under tho, I can't afford that much unused space in my place. Bob.

Ahhh, but there is an ulterior motive to the design. I share the shop with my wife(she's a tool gal). The concrete mollys are not simply for added regidity.

"Ohhhh, I'm sorry dear. That table doesn't move either; it's lagged to the concrete. Guess you'll have to do that project elsewhere."

It'll get used as storage space. Or perhaps I'll sit under it the next time a tornado blows through.

Comment

• needlenose
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                  How'd you do yours?
                  Thanks!

In stages. Top first, then the legs, followed by the gussets. I only use four clamps and several pieces of scrap angle. Tack the legs and space them using the angle and clamps. When one pair is set, tack the angle to the legs and re-use the clamps on the next set. Repeat until the entire leg and gusset assembly is tacked and supported with angle. Weld in place and remove the supports.

I used to do steel work and the most helpful tool I had was a 8'x8' steel plate table. I could build jigs or work straight into the table and break it loose when it was completed. About once a day I'd take an 8" grinder and smooth out the table top. I really miss that table.

Comment

Working...
                  X