Hobart Beta 250 mig welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Beta 250 mig welder

Found a 15 year old Hobart Beta 250 Mig, like new, one owner , used ony on sundays. Anyone have or use one? Besides being old is there any problems or plusses? Comes with a 3/4 full large tank & long whip & is sng phase. Thanks for your help! Eric

Originally posted by flylo
    Found a 15 year old Hobart Beta 250 Mig, like new, one owner , used ony on sundays. Anyone have or use one? Besides being old is there any problems or plusses? Comes with a 3/4 full large tank & long whip & is sng phase. Thanks for your help! Eric
    My old welding teacher had a Beta-Mig. He used the snot out of it. Every welder I've ever used has a bit of its own character. That one probably will too. Still, it's a legit 250-class wire welder (probably same specs as the MillerMatic 250 series) so it all boils down to price. I bought my MM250 a few years ago with a 125 cf tank for $550 and had to buy the spoolgun module and spoolgun, but I've made well over $150k with it since then.

Can it run a spoolgun directly? If not, is there an add-on module that will let it, and can you find one?

Also, look really carefully at the drive mechanism. And power it up and weld with it. Run wire without welding, watching and listening. If you can, pull the sheet metal shrouding and see if it's major rusted inside.

metalmagpie

Comment

These older Hobarts are tough! Welded with one at my old job. Good old welder.

Comment

Looked new inside & out,wire ran fine, I was paying asking price because of the condition & just got an e-mail he chaged his mind. Probably got a better offer. I was raised a man's only as good as his word & I like it on this forum because most seem like that but the rest of the world is not. I just bought that Oliver spinning lathe & the guy changed the price 3 times.Over doubled it once. I told him how I felt & had a friend buy it. Saved a lathe for a guy last week. Told him no problem just if you change you mind call. Wasted my whole day & got hold of him at 10PM. Said his dad sayed he could not afford it. If I'm going to be 2 minutes late I call.
        Thanks anyway for your help guys I appreciate it & sorry to waste your time. Eric

Comment

I think my dad has two of them in his shop. We reconfigured them to hook up to external feeders as well as the internal. Still going...

Comment

Working...
          X