Looking for the "Ingenious Mechanisms" Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the "Ingenious Mechanisms" Book

I would like to buy a copy of the 4 volume set of "Ingenious Mechanisms For Designers & Engineers". Travers lists it new at $84. I tried all the used book sources on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and they all want more for the used set than Travers wants for a new set. Also some of the used sources list it as a 2 volume set and I was wondering if an earlier edition only came as a 2 volume set or if it is really only two of the four volumes. Any advice

See if your local library can find them on another library's inventory and arrange to visit there of ship to you. I had a set I bought for $0.50 and all the stuff is really ancient. Then only thing I liked was the Deadbeat Escapement, as I enjoy clocks. I gave them away. Given the choice to buy again? No Way, unless @ $.050 and I know someone who wants them.
    gvasale

Comment

I have a three volume set copywrited 1951 that I got from my dad's books when he passed away. Now I too am wondering is there a fourth book to this set or did the series grow over time.

Comment

I'm fairly sure MSC carries this set of books.

Comment

He is a thought - buy it from Travers if they already have the best price.

Comment

There are four volumes.
            The first two were done by Jones, Volume 3 was done by Horton and Volume 4 was done by Newell and Horton in 1967 ISBN 0-8311-1032-5
            Same format as the rest.
            Every so often they are released on special by various companies. I had problems getting a decent full set at a reasonable price so I plumped for a new reprint set from J&L when they had them on offer.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have a 4 vol. set of these books. I believe I used them once in perhaps 25 years. If I had to design material handling mechanisms they might be useful. A book that I do find very useful is Mechanical Details For Product Design-edited by Douglas C. Greenwood - McGraw Hill 1964. Another more recent and excellent book of the same type is Mechanisms & Mechanical Devices Sourcebook - Nicholas P Chironis -McGraw Hill 1991.

If you are an inventor or designer those 4 volumes might be of some use but as gvasale states their info is so ancient. Modern control and operating devices have made obsolete much of the data in the book.
              O

Comment

I also have a set of these books and I have never used them ! They are neat to look at but a lot of the stuff in them isn't practical.There are some web sites you can go to however such as the U.S.patent office archives that have some useful info.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Oscar, John
                  I too have these. I paid Canadian money for them so they are worth more - yeah,right...

Interesting to read at times, but not as much fun as ripping apart a mechanical cash register and then putting it back together again.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crypto:
                    ...I believe I used them once in perhaps 25 years...A book that I do find very useful is Mechanical Details For Product Design-edited by Douglas C. Greenwood - McGraw Hill 1964. Another more recent and excellent book of the same type is Mechanisms & Mechanical Devices Sourcebook -Nicholas P Chironis -McGraw Hill 1991.</font>
                    Along the same lines is the excellent Artobolevky seven-book series "Mechanisms in Modern Engineering Design" from Russia, and also a Lindsay book "507 Mechanical Movements".

Comment

Working...
                    X