Carbide tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbide tips

I am looking for 11 deg clearance angle tips to suit a d'andrea boring head.
    D'andrea ones are good but extremely easily chipped .
    The world of tips is confusing to say the least .
    Any advice ( or tips )

"Tips"? WTH is that? Inserts?
    Last edited by tdmidget; 07-07-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

OK tdmidget WTF , if you MUST be pedantic.
      Maybe constructive would be better

Inserts then! Thanks for your helpful contribution

Comment

Now that we have some idea of what the question is we need more information. Material? Diameter and hole depth? Machine?

As I have stated here before, machining is all about precision. Say precisely what you want to say with precise terminology. Did you find "tips" in the Kennametal catalog? In Sandvik? Walter?

Comment

I can certainly help, but would really need some nomenclature from the D'Andrea boring head and/or the current inserts you are using. Then to make a recommendation I need to know the materials you wish to bore, the desired depth of cut and feed rates. I can make suggestion on the speeds, feed an D.O.C., but to do that I still need the materials and application information.

Comment

Let the dog see the rabbit.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=20&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=D'Andrea+bori ng+heads&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=D'Andrea+boring+head&gs_ l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d6a 583b1f10ebbb2&biw=1920&bih=818

Comment

Any old boring bar will work but all carbide is not created equal. That said, Some Crierton brazed carbide boring tools came with my used boring head. The insert is set with some tilt and they work much better than anything else that I have tried. A diamond wheel is needed to sharpen them and they do need to be sharpened from time to time. The carbide on these tools chips less and cuts better. Enco has had some cobalt HSS bars for sale recently these are easier to sharpen and work quite well. In the insert type tools the Diamond shaped has worked better for me. Talk to the consultants at Carbide Depot, they can assist with good technical advice.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

Don't let the bar stewards grind you down John We ALL I.E THE rest of US knew what you meant.
                You ought to see my sisters tips and they are carbide too. Alistair
                Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 07-08-2012, 03:59 PM.
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I am trying to cool down after "tdmidget's" patronising response.
                  This (may I remind him) is a home shop forum where we come for advice , not to be ridiculed for not conforming to his terminology. Not to say that we are all inexperienced dumbos ! In a lifetime of engineering management I have met many like him.

Will post a pic of the said boring bar .
                  Cant specify the material I will be boring .
                  I cant afford a tip for every task. so I want a general purpose one.
                  I dont want to buy ten! I am hoping that with care a couple will see me out!

D'andrea will sell me packs of ten at £120 plus carriage and VAT, but surely there are sources out there to suit those of us who want two rather than twenty, and are prepared to compromise by not insisting on the the "proper" insert for the application. maybe we can even adjust the process to accommodate the insert we have.

Comment

Originally posted by john11668
                    I am trying to cool down after "tdmidget's" patronising response.
                    This (may I remind him) is a home shop forum where we come for advice , not to be ridiculed for not conforming to his terminology. Not to say that we are all inexperienced dumbos ! In a lifetime of engineering management I have met many like him.

Will post a pic of the said boring bar .
                    Cant specify the material I will be boring .
                    I cant afford a tip for every task. so I want a general purpose one.
                    I dont want to buy ten! I am hoping that with care a couple will see me out!

D'andrea will sell me packs of ten at £120 plus carriage and VAT, but surely there are sources out there to suit those of us who want two rather than twenty, and are prepared to compromise by not insisting on the the "proper" insert for the application. maybe we can even adjust the process to accommodate the insert we have.
                    DiD 'um get 'um's feeling hurt? Wahhhh!!! If you want to play machinist then at least learn to call things by their proper names. There are no "tips" on indexable insert tooling. Just as there us no such thing as a "drill bit". If you can afford a D'andrea boring/facing head you can afford to take a few minutes to look through catalog. Try MSC for example. Page after page of "drills" but no "drill bits". The same goes for "tips". Then you get your panties all wet when you come here and ask an incomprehensible question. Sure there are those who will say that they knew what you meant but that just shows that ignorance has company.
                    You still haven't told what the material is, size and depth of hole, machine type, etc. We STILL don't have enough information to answer your question.

Comment

Apparently I'm ignorant

Originally posted by tdmidget
                      Sure there are those who will say that they knew what you meant but that just shows that ignorance has company.
                      Not so sure I like being called ignorant, but thanks tdmidget for pointing it out. I'm sure others will appreciate it as well.

Best regards
                      Mark

Comment

Frankly, I have no idea exactly what is being requested---I still say td overstepped his bounds. "trolling" we used to call it, though I see the term less and less these days.

First question to sort out the details: is this a standard, replaceable insert that fits to a boring bar? If so, from the informatn given so far, it will have a "P" in the second position... http://www.arwarnerco.com/c-22-inser...ion-chart.aspx

Second question: is this not as referred to above, is it instead a real short toolbit with carbide brazed on the cutting end?

Third question for those like me who don't have any experience with D'Andrea other than to have the impression they are uber expensive: does the boring head have standard, round holes which you affix either a round toolbit in or a boring bar? If so, what is the hole diameter? If not, does the carbide insert clamp/screw down onto a piece of the boring head itself?

Last question: does this boring head rather use proprietary tool bits which the carbide insert seats on rather than a standard, round boring bar? I know there are some weird ones out there I would only know how to refer to as "bits" --- such as DeVelbis (sp?) and SIP.

Whew! I guess I should have typed out these questions before the explosion, but I passed due to the succinct, yet incomplete, original question.

Comment

TD is probably having trouble at home or at work.

This site in getting more and more unfriendly.

Comment

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=51478

based on the previous thread (did not go looking, it comes up very early in a google search for the boring head), the only ID given to the insert is WNMG.

IF getting the inserts in ones or twos, IMO go looking for someone nearby who uses them or even ask for samples etc. just saying that my experience has been for that amount the cost could be nearly matched by shipping...of course it certainly depends on what you end up purchasing.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                              TD is probably having trouble at home or at work.

This site in getting more and more unfriendly.
                              Everything is Hunky-Dory. I'm not the only one:
                              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=55053

Come on, raise the bar a bit. Stupidity has no place in the shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X