Convert 3ph surface grinder to single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert 3ph surface grinder to single

Has anyone had any luck converting a 3 phase surface grinder to single phase? I have been looking for a single phase grinder for a long time with no luck. Since the 3 phase grinders are so plentiful, I'm considering changing out the motor. Is this more practical if it is belt driven? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve. I tried to that once to a Boyer Schultz 6-12. Their motors use a proprietary mount and are balanced. I don't know about yours, but it would have cost me more than the grinder is worth.
    Have you thought about a rotary phase converter?

Comment

Steve:

If your grinder has a dual voltage 220/440volt motor, and you have 240 single phase available, a static convertor will work very nicely.
      I have a Boyar Schultz that I run on a home-made static convertor and the no-load spindle speed is actually 150 rpm higher than the rated motor speed.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

I'll echo the static convertor. I run a Boyar-Schultz 6x12 on a static and I have been real happy with it.

Jon
        Jon Bohlander
        My PM Blog

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't have a grinder yet, so all my options are open.
          I take it that if I did rig a single phase motor on a grinder that the balancing thing would be tuff to accomplish?

Steve

Comment

Yeah, the balancing would have to be done professionally.

About 95% of the time when people switch to single phase motors they drastically reduce the resale value of their machines.

Get a phase converter or search for that rare single phase grinder.

Comment

Working...
            X