• Show
Clear All

• 45' pipe fitting in lathe

Hi
    Got a job from a local fire dept.
    They had a new truck come in.
    The 45' fitting on the truck does not fit the hoses...a little tight
    Looks like the fittings were hard cromed after machining and
    perhaps they did not allow for the crome...
    They are 3.5" and one end female with a ball bearing type collar
    The other side male...the male side is the problem...
    A quick job if straight..but a 45...
    Anyone have any ideas
    thanks
    eddie
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Find a local plating company and have them etch off some of the chrome. This is in effect the same process used in "chemical milling" to lighten aircraft wings. Hot rodders also use acid etching to reduce the weight of body parts.

Another way would be to use lapping/grinding compound and work the male & female fittings back & forth. Would be some serious labor intensive work however.

Comment

45 Deg Fitting

Send the fitting back to the manufacturer. You open a big can of worms if you modify a critical part on a fire truck.

Comment

Eddie, i hate to see you loose a job , but i think as J.R.Williams states, the fittings should be sent back to the manufacturer. They should fit no problem, but they do not.

Comment

At a pinch only - fix the probelm 45 degree to another that it will fit to make a 90 degree and you should be closer to a solution.

Comment

Eddie,oddly enough I ran across this very problem awhile back.Canadian built pumper and American built hose.It turned out for me to be a standards issue,as in there are too many of them

Here's the Canadian example,the US is even worse.

On the one I was dealing with the OD of the thread was .035" larger than the female and the pitch was the same.It felt like it would almost go on,but turned out to be largish chamfer they machine in the start.I had to swap out the fitting in the pumper to fix it.

May not be your problem,just thought I would mention it.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Serves 'em right. There are US manufacturers you know.

Comment

..and I was already drooling of seeing a 45 feet pipe fitting in someones poor lathe
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Motorworks, to make the 45° sign not the ', hold down the Alt key and type
                  248 and you get. ° I'm not trying to be smart just trying to help.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

Just re -read and noticed that you are in the Netherlands. Isn't there a European standard?. I agree, 10 years from now and some ass hole claims he saw a fireman have trouble with a connection and it's all your fault. Make the manufacturer correct it.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
                      Just re -read and noticed that you are in the Netherlands. Isn't there a European standard?. I agree, 10 years from now and some ass hole claims he saw a fireman have trouble with a connection and it's all your fault. Make the manufacturer correct it.
                      Newfoundland & Labrador
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                        Eddie, i hate to see you loose a job , but i think as J.R.Williams states, the fittings should be sent back to the manufacturer. They should fit no problem, but they do not.
                        The Fire Brigade should be as aware of safety and standards as almost anyone.

If the elbow repair was authorised or requested by the appropriate delegated Officer the OP is authourised to proceed as required/requested.

The risk or onus/liability rests with the Authorising Officer of the Brigade - the more so if or as he accepts the OP's work on completion.

Comment

Thanks guys
                          wierdscience: It is a new truck madee in the USA and the Hose is Canadian
                          (and yes I'm in NL, Canada...lol).
                          Thanks for the link

I will ask the local chief what he wants to do...

eddie
                          please visit my webpage:
                          http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by motorworks
                            Thanks guys
                            wierdscience: It is a new truck madee in the USA and the Hose is Canadian
                            (and yes I'm in NL, Canada...lol).
                            Thanks for the link

I will ask the local chief what he wants to do...

eddie

Have the chief google "Mike Crotty" before he makes his decision.

Local volunteer who had the fitting blow off at the top of the ladder....

Comment

Hi,

Yep as somebody who was close at hand when a Storz coupling let go on a pumper at a scene, you don't want to mess with any fitting. Send it back to the company that it was purchased from. Get the correct fitting parts. People will be happier and safer.

dalee
                              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X