X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicer software

First of all read this post.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....?topic=18727.0

Forget all the naysayers what I'm interested in is doing the same but in say 3mm slices and getting a DXF of each slice.
    Tried to contact Matt but no reply.
    Also had a look at slic8r program [ http://slic3r.org/ ] but can't see how to get a DXF as opposed to a reprap G -Code.

Any clues guys ?

I have a full copy of Alibre, Sketch-up [ but never used it ] and have access to Solid Edge V10

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Cut section views in a solid edge draft and then save it as dxf
    Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      ...what I'm interested in is doing the same but in say 3mm slices and getting a DXF of each slice....
      Have a look at http://blog.32leaves.net/?p=988 and see if you can translate it into something understandable.

At http://www.raczynski.com/slice/stlicer.htm there seems to be something that would do the trick but it wants you to pay before you try.

There's a post in this thread https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/38539 dated 10-Nov-2010 04:39 that appears to point to a way (using Blender).

Try some of the techniques here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/...t-176752.html?

Finally, this looks most promising http://www.gilesbathgate.com/2010/06...sing-openscad/

Comment

John:

I don't use the CAD programs you have, but we do make sections in DXF format from Wildfire frequently. The descriptions I use below would pertain to our software but you will have to look for similar features in your CAD system.

One way is to make multiple section views by creating a datum plane (section plane) and pattern it across your model in the increments you want. Then use those planes to create named section views in a drawing. I would now create a new drawing with all the appropriate views required. The CAD feature you would need to have is the ability to create an 'area' cross section view. That is what creates the view without the foregound or background features.

I do not know how to attach a DXF, but I did create a drawing quickly with this method.Hopefully your software has a feature that produces an area cross section.

Bob

Comment

"Solid Works"

Comment

Originally posted by FETOAU
            "Solid Works"
            Brilliant one liner, about as much use as tit's on a bull.
            I made it clear what software I had but hey what's ~5-6K just to do one job.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I can see the smoke from the laser just to the east of me girls house...
              what are you making....or 'smoking'
              e2die
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

In any of the professional programs (Solidworks, ProE, Catia...hell, even Inventor) its a simple matter of clicking "Save As" then changing the file format to be saved to .stl.

Sorry I cant help with any of the cheaper programs, but using creating datum planes for multiple sections is a start.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  John,
                  If Solidworks will do the job send me the file offline and I will be pleased to have a go. I think I can do it.
                  Dave

Comment

Dear Sir John , Earl of Bridgeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE

Please excuse me. I was just providing a solution to the problem posed. "what I'm interested in is doing the same but in say 3mm slices and getting a DXF of each slice".

Please excuse me for not being a mind reader and missing the qualifiers that I still cannot find as hard as I try to parse your post.

Sincerely,

FETOAU

Comment

Originally posted by FETOAU

Dear Sir John , Earl of Bridgeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE

Please excuse me. I was just providing a solution to the problem posed. "what I'm interested in is doing the same but in say 3mm slices and getting a DXF of each slice".

Please excuse me for not being a mind reader and missing the qualifiers that I still cannot find as hard as I try to parse your post.

Sincerely,

FETOAU
                      Last line of his original post tells what he has available.
                      James

Comment

Originally posted by DFMiller
                        John,
                        If Solidworks will do the job send me the file offline and I will be pleased to have a go. I think I can do it.
                        Dave
                        Dave, Thanks for the offer but I'd like to keep this all in house.
                        Whilst I'm learning there will be loads of small modifications to do and would be good to do them straight away.

If Solid works can do it and it wasn't made clear IF or HOW it could then Solid Edge should be able to do the same they are very similar programs.

I tried to get in touch with Matt, the OP of the link I posted to see what that software he uses is, does anyone recognise it ?

I have posted on other forums and been given links for Autodesks 123D but so far not installed it, however it looks promising but I think it does it in the cloud and that's not acceptable as some of the parts I want to do later are proprietary. No point learning a software you can't use.

EDIT, Scratch Autodesk 123D, downloaded it 3 times and every time it gets a check sum error,

Comment

I have not tried it, only downloaded 30 day free trial yesterday, but Meshcam has the ability to create the slices and save as an STL. Could this be imported into wherever you are using the DXF or something else to convert?

Comment

John you can do it in Alibre but it is a little slow.

This is cumbersome, but it goes in some single steps:

Open your 3D Part -> Activate Sketch -> Rectangle (leave a portion of 3mm )
                            -> Extrude Cut -> Save as... with a new name -> Make a 2D Drawing -> Save ->
                            Export -> DXF/DWG

Open your 3 Part -> Activate Sketch -> 2 x Rectangles (leave another portion
                            of 3mm ) -> Extrude Cut -> Save as... with a new name -> Make a 2D Drawing
                            -> Save -> Export -> DXF/DWG

You can insert all the planes you will need at three mm distance in the first cut to a section.

There are a couple of other ways to do it in Alibre also. What version of Alibre do you have?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have briefly searched for anything that would help in some Alibre related web sites and didn't find anything useful. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Alibre to provide any direct assistance.

However, does Alibre have the capability to create a curve based on the intersection of a plane and a surface? If so that would also create the curve representing the section view that you want. Our CAD package allows you to create a surface feature that is created from solid objects, then that surface can be intersected by a plane creating the info you would need.

Bob

Edit: I was doing a little more surfing and found that Alibre doesn't have a surfacing feature so if that is true then the idea above probably will not work.
                              Last edited by Bob_W; 07-12-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X