Made a work stop for my lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a work stop for my lathe.

I did a bit of repititious work a while back that required parting off to a fairly precise length so I decided to make a sturdy adjustable stop. I wanted to make it where it could handle fairly long work so decided against the typical bicycle gooseneck style clamp arrangement and the tapered pipe thread expanding type slipped at the wrong time on the other lathe.

I picked up a 9x20 preload spanner nut from Grizzly to screw onto the extra available threads on my 8x18's spindle and attached a chunk of 2024 onto it. I wanted the stop shaft hole to be concentric with the spindle center so I made an extension drill from 1/2" shafting and drilled the stop using the tailstock to hold it and a piece of 1/2" ID brass tubing in an ER32 collet to center it. I then turned an acetal bushing that fit the spindle bore closely to reduce drill wandering. It works pretty well.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Finished:

Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Oh yeah, the stop rod (made from drill rod) is held by a setscrew with a bit of brass under it to keep from scarring the rod.
      Milton

Comment

To be honest I'm surprised I'm the first to make a comment. I've got to say you put a lot of thought into that setup. And for sure it isn't one I would have thought of. So for at least myself, I've learned what I think is an excellent and well thought out procedure. Now for me to remember all the good ideas I get from this forum? That's is an issue. AFAIC? You definitely deserve a well done atta boy.

Pete

Comment

Agreed , nice work Milton.

Comment

Thanks! That's one of the reasons I come here to be with ya'll. Sure won't be getting many "attaboys" at work or home for chip-making.

I used it last night to part off some identical length stepper motor spacers and it worked great. Whenever I finally get the ORAC lathe up & running, I need to make another one. It doesn't have the threads to connect to but does have a longer, plain spindle end that I can clamp onto. The spindle is otherwise identical so the extension drill and bushing will work the same. All part of the master plan.
            Milton

Comment

I need to make something like this
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

They had a couple of stops like this in the last place that I worked - but not nearly as nice as this one! Good job!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by legendboy
                  I need to make something like this
                  You need to get that Bridgeport CNC project flogged into submission.

(Just kiddin', I'm sure you're tossin' & turnin' enough already.)
                  Milton

Comment

Working...
                  X