Chamber dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamber dimensions

Can onyone in the group direct me to a location where I can find the factory dimensions to chamber for a .22 cal Long Rifle cartridge. I have searched the web high and low and can't seem to locate any info.

See here:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/ChamberThroats101.htm
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

From what I've seen, there is a lot of difference of opinion---each manufacturer seems to set their own standards. Try the SAAMI website.

Comment

I didn't find much in this area on the SAAMI site. I mik'd some of the different brands of .22LR I have and I was kind of surprised about the differences in the specs from one manufacture to the next.

If you are making a fire arm, don't!

Jerry

Comment

It is interesting that the Roy Dunlap gunsmithing book has many chamber dimensions. He said there was not a standard for the .22 Long Rifle. The book was first published in 1950, and that may have changed, but probably not.
          Jim H.

Comment

There is a lot of variation depending on the ammunition and the intended use of the firearm. For a bolt action match rifle the chamber is made a almost tight fit to the cartridge with a slight taper toward the front. The bullet nose should slightly engage the rifling when seated in the chamber. For a general use weapon that will be expected to reliably fire whatever ammo is available the chamber will be a fairly loose fit to prevent jamming. This is especially important for a semi auto weapon like the Ruger 10/22, my favorite 22LR rifle.

Comment

For reliable chambering of match ammo in semi auto guns, use the Bentz reamer. This provides less body taper and 1-1/2* throat angle. It also has a shorter throat causing the bullet to engrave on the rifling slightly.
              The standard match reamer has a 5* throat angle, increased body taper and shorter throat to engrave rifling.
              Do not use match reamers with standard velocity or selected ammo.
              This information from Clymer.
              Jim H.

Comment

Evan is correct (as usuall), I believe a bentz reamer is a semi -match reamer for semi-autos. At least that is what I use mine for.

Some custom 10-22 makers will or used to make barrels with real match chambers, some would only fit a specific make of ammo. From what I've read some guns would not even extract unfired rounds, you had to fire the gun to clear it!

Comment

JCHannum and Evan got the straight poop. I am going to use the Clymer with 5 deg angle throat. This gun needs to eat an assortment of cheap ammo so I'm going to leave the chamber a little on the loose side. I try to stay away from Remington ammo because their brass seems alot softer than Wincheter. ATF has given a letter of approval on the gun, of course it can't be sold unless I get a manufactures's license and conform the their regulations.

Comment

Shot by me with my aging eyeballs with .22 inch No 8 Lee Enfield. I used to instruct Sea Cadets before the Canadian government decided that it was not politically correct for young potential armed forces recruits to learn how to handle a firearm. !!!!!

Comment

Evan
                      Were you drunk at the time Evan - tell us it ain't so. Jesus, my sister shoots better than that!

Oh, wait those are each 10 shot groups right?

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 03-01-2004).]

Comment

Iron sights and I can't see the front and rear sight at the same time. There are four bulls in there, score 84. Rebarreled Lee Enfield.

Comment

Thats not bad for an enfield trainer,they aren't very accurate. Mine is the most INacurrate rimfire I own, including cooeys.

Comment

Working...
                          X