This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was thread closed?

The thread about Police misconduct was closed but I have no idea why. Does anyone know why or how to find out?
    I'm an abstract poet and I didn't even think I was.

My guess would be that the powers that be wanted it closed. We're just visitors here and the guy that owns the house probably just tired of what amounts to a non machining topic.

You should know that. You and I have (like probably many many members here) been involved in threads that were closed --long before everyone involved had said all they might have wanted to.

I think asking why is a pointless exercise, but I have 2 bits of advice on the subject:

1. Never, never, under any circumstances, follow advice from anyone --make your own decisions.

2. That said, my advice is just accept it and move on, at the end of the day there are thousands of places to discuss about anything one could want to discuss. This place was set up to discuss machining and related matters, go find one that does the politics of the police state --there are many such.

BTW, I still think you did good to try to assist a citizen you though was being harassed.

Comment

I think it got off topic. look at post #62 about America being Facist & more so than Canada. I don't think so. We have a lot more freedoms than most countries IMHO.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by SmoggyTurnip
        The thread about Police misconduct was closed but I have no idea why. Does anyone know why or how to find out?

I think you have answered your own question. Threads about poliice misconduct don't belong on a Home Shop Machinist site.

Comment

A great many posts on this forum are off-topic. It the moderator wanted to, he could delete 8 of the 20 posts I see on the first page. Because there are so many people here with a lot of knowledge and experience, I think they are allowed in the spirit of exchange of information.

I have not read the thread in question all the way through, but I'm surprised it was allowed to go on as long as it did. No offense intended to the OP, but it really didn't belong here.
          Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

I would not seek legal advice on a multi-national machining forum just as I would not post seeking tips on D.I.Y. Neurosurgery.

Comment

Originally posted by browne92
              A great many posts on this forum are off-topic. It the moderator wanted to, he could delete 8 of the 20 posts I see on the first page. Because there are so many people here with a lot of knowledge and experience, I think they are allowed in the spirit of exchange of information.

As a guilty party, I want to again take the time to thank George Bulliss for allowing the off-topic threads. As Browne92 says, there is a surprising variety of expertise represented on this forum. Consequently, I enjoy being able to discuss and sometimes argue about topics that stray very far from any machining content.

I know I've learned an enormous amount, both related and completely unrelated to machining in the 7-8 years I've been on the forum. Thanks for a great community, folks!

Comment

Without OT posts this and most other forums wouldn't exist..but someone needs to pull the plug when they get repetitive..

Comment

Well I don't know how you guys know what the reason was. Did someone tell you. Are off topic posts not allowed? I just want to know if it was closed because of something I did. Was it closed simply cause it was off topic? This is not a complaint I just want to know so I don't do it again. There were some people who seemed interested in the topic and I was going to update. I was thinking about starting a new thread for the updates but if don't want to waste my time if it will be closed for the same unknown reason.
                  I'm an abstract poet and I didn't even think I was.

Comment

Sometimes the moderator considers that the thread has run its course. More discussion on aircraft punctures than the OP resulted.

Comment

ST,
                      If you review the history of closed posts here at HSMBBS you should be able to figure out the normal reasons why a thread will get locked.

Petty bickering, outrageous topics or discussions that devolve into government / political bashing have a lifetime. Once that lifetime is over its gone.

There seems to be a huge tolerance for OT threads here. I doubt that the fact it was an OT thread was the cause. Many On topic threads have been locked.

Threads are locked by the moderators or the Administrators. If you want a real answer to the question the person to ask is George Bulliss. He runs this BBS and is a very reasonable guy. He is also very busy and has stated before that he does not have to time to send a long personal note every time he locks a thread.

Its very easy to get wrapped up in a thread and lose focus, thus many threads get locked because people get lost in the forest.

Dave

Comment

Anyone want to take bets on how long the Dragon thread stays up ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          A good example of a bad example.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I'm beginning to think that you are so stubborn that you will become a PITA to the police. I can assure you that you WILL come out on the short end of the stick if you do. Best let the morons alone.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              No bet on that, but I'd be willing to give considerable odds that the "Shop Made Tools" thread stays open...

Comment

Working...
                              X