Ballistol oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballistol oil

I know that some of you use Ballistol oil around the shop. Midwayusa is having a sale on it right now. Both the liguid (16 oz) and the aerosol (6 oz.)

Pops

Has anyone compared CLP (high tech synthetic) with Ballistol (old-school mineral oil)?

They do the same thing: clean, lubricate, prevent rust. I think Ballistol uses an alkalai versus the solvents that CLP uses...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Not mineral oil...

I don't think Ballistol is mineral oil. It's advertised as non-toxic, and I believe it's plant-based, on something like oils from pine trees. It is miscible with water, to make a milky fluid. It would probably be a decent cutting lubricant / coolant used that way.

I find Ballistol (used neat) is good at preventing rust, and it seems to work well on wood, without damaging most surface finishes. However, it does eventually dry to a tenacious brownish lacquer, which gums up the workings of guns left with Ballistol on them - I've seen this on a lot of old pieces coming from Germany, where Ballistol is probably the favourite gun oil; they arrive looking like the metal had been treated with a layer of hard yellow varnish. It usually takes a lot of scraping with bamboo skewers and some acetone or white spirits to get it off.

Personally, I like Ed's Red (a mixture of equal parts automatic transmission fluid, kerosene, white spirit, acetone, plus some lanolin) - it lubricates, penetrates, protects against rust and sweaty fingerprints, and it doesn't dry to a varnish. However, it is not kind to wood finishes on account of the acetone and white spirit.

Comment

Robert, I tried Ballistol. It came highly recommended but I didn't like it. If I didn't throw it away you are welcome to it. CLR is my favorite spray can product. In the shop I prefer Ed's Red. For wiping down guns Rust Pruff is still my favorite.

These were available at Mc Brides.
        Last edited by Boucher; 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Euph0ny
          I don't think Ballistol is mineral oil. It's advertised as non-toxic, and I believe it's plant-based, on something like oils from pine trees.
          From Wikipedia:

"Ballistol (meaning 'Ballistic Oil') is a mineral oil-based chemical which advertises that it has many uses. "

That's confirmed by the MSDS:

http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sh.../ballistol.PDF
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by lazlo
            From Wikipedia:

"Ballistol (meaning 'Ballistic Oil') is a mineral oil-based chemical which advertises that it has many uses. "

That's confirmed by the MSDS:

http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sh.../ballistol.PDF
            Interesting, thanks! The original European Ballistol was certainly plant-based (they still use pine twigs in the logo). Some years ago they started offering two formulations, only one of which is still advertised as non-toxic - "Neo-Ballistol" (there is also "Ballistol Animal", for pet care). I'd guess that was the original, and the mineral oil based one is the new formulation (perhaps with cheaper ingredients).

One word of warning - Ballistol has a strong scent. I don't mind it, but my wife detests it, so I use it sparingly inside the house, if at all.

Comment

I've never had the problem with the oil on a gun or other varnishing. I generally use it for blackpowder field cleaning and after shop cleaning. I have used it a bit in the machine shop as a short term rust proofing, because it was handy. One thing I particularly like is getting 16 ounces for the cost of 2 or 4 ounces of "gun oil."

I thought I'd post the sale information because I've noticed some of you have mentioned usng it.

Pops

Comment

Working...
              X