Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old machinery, Little Giant Hammer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Old machinery, Little Giant Hammer

    I really must stop surfing CraigsList.

    Now that I've sorta fallen off the deep end into the blacksmithing world, I was mesmerized by the Little Giant power hammers over the last few months. I still love my Leblond lathes and such, but the pounding of red hot metal just gets to me. The LG hammers are such a unique bridge between the old school blacksmithing and the more modern machinery age.

    The 25lb version are small enough that I can use them in my garage shop, yet powerful enough to really get some output.

    Plus, they are so damned cool.

    One popped up nearby on CL, and for once I was the first to pounce on it.
    Looks like the old girl will have a new home. Looks to be in fantastic shape from what I've seen so far.

    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 07-17-2012, 08:10 PM.

  • #2
    Great find,, i bet you could sell a dozen of them in one day if you could find any.

    Comment


    • #3
      WOW, Deja Vu... all over again.
      That Little Giant is the twin of one I saw a few months ago.
      I came across an old, rusted one covered in dust and cobwebs while touring a possible new shop location.
      The building was a former Blacksmiths shop from back in the 1940's, and that Hammer was still anchored (somehow) to the dirt floor.
      The overhead belting and pulleys were still there too.
      Cool stuff.

      Comment


      • #4
        WOW, I want one. I need to go to Janesville anyway. If you see another think of your poor deprived brother tool junky in the adjoining state.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
          WOW, Deja Vu... all over again.
          That Little Giant is the twin of one I saw a few months ago.
          I came across an old, rusted one covered in dust and cobwebs while touring a possible new shop location.
          The building was a former Blacksmiths shop from back in the 1940's, and that Hammer was still anchored (somehow) to the dirt floor.
          The overhead belting and pulleys were still there too.
          Cool stuff.
          Would they sell it? You can make a nice coin on these....

          Originally posted by flylo
          If you see another think of your poor deprived brother tool junky in the adjoining state.
          ummmm.... up two posts!

          Comment


          • #6
            Would they sell it?
            No...
            Unfortunately the Little old Lady that inherited the shop and was showing me around said, "These old machines have to stay." when I asked if I could clean up and throw out the garbage.

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh you suck!

              I've been looking for one for years,but all I have found have either weighed 25tons or cost as much as a Rolls Royce.

              Of course you must post a video of it running
              I just need one more tool,just one!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
                No...
                Unfortunately the Little old Lady that inherited the shop and was showing me around said, "These old machines have to stay." when I asked if I could clean up and throw out the garbage.
                Times on your side,wait her out
                I just need one more tool,just one!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wierdscience
                  Oh you suck!

                  I've been looking for one for years,but all I have found have either weighed 25tons or cost as much as a Rolls Royce.

                  Of course you must post a video of it running
                  Going to pick it up next week. Before I can do that I'll need mount a motor and get some belts for it to run.
                  It was never run off of electric power, only off a main flat-belt shaft....
                  That's how old she is, and how little use its had since then.

                  I think it was pretty rare to find one like this that was never converted to electric motor, and still in this kind of condition.
                  Nothing is seized, all turns well, babbits are in ok condition, nice dies, original paint, low price.

                  ....after talking to the seller, he admitted he listed it too low from the volume of calls and interest he instantly had about it.
                  Easily $1k less than I've seen some beat up, rusty LG-25's selling for.

                  The machinery gods were smiling upon my shoulders with this one.
                  Last edited by T.Hoffman; 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by T.Hoffman
                    Going to pick it up next week. Before I can do that I'll need mount a motor and get some belts for it to run.
                    It was never run off of electric power, only off a main flat-belt shaft....
                    That's how old she is, and how little use its had since then.

                    I think it was pretty rare to find one like this that was never converted to electric motor, and still in this kind of condition.
                    Nothing is seized, all turns well, babbits are in ok condition, nice dies, original paint, low price.

                    ....after talking to the seller, he admitted he listed it too low from the volume of calls and interest he instantly had about it.
                    Easily $1k less than I've seen some beat up, rusty LG-25's selling for.

                    The machinery gods were smiling upon my shoulders with this one.
                    The last 25lb I saw at auction was farm fresh,including chicken feathers and also basically stuck solid brought $2,000.
                    I did see a 500lb model go for $250,but it was gonna cost $5,000 to move it,never a happy medium here.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sid Suedmeier owns the Little Giant company these days, and while there are no new Little Giants, pretty much all parts, especially for the 25lb hammers, are available.

                      http://www.littlegianthammer.com/parts.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yup, I have a call into him about some questions I had.

                        You can watch him describing the differences between old/new versions of the LG hammers:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYddtwcp0Q

                        The one I just found is noted as the Transitional Style of LG's.
                        Actually this one is the most rare as they had the fewest made of them before they switched completely over to the new lower style.

                        Here's a picture that shows all of them in comparison:
                        http://www.littlegianthammer.com/pdf.../EVOLUTION.pdf
                        Last edited by T.Hoffman; 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So there really is a Little Giant? Wow. I thought it was just a name from a Road Runner cartoon.

                          Enjoy your find. Looks like I'm going to have to start watching this Craigs List thing.
                          Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For those interested there are plans available to build a power hammer at:

                            http://www.appaltree.net/rusty/index.htm

                            When I had my anvil & forge that was going to be my next project, but with my trigger finger & carpel tunnel problems I decided to forgo blacksmithing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dr Stan
                              For those interested there are plans available to build a power hammer at:

                              http://www.appaltree.net/rusty/index.htm
                              Besides that one, also look up "Tire Hammer Plans", you'll find some very nice home made versions using a mounted rim/tire.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X