Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    ...just saw this thread was revived a few months ago...
    I know many LG rebuilds use v-belts, but the best option told to me by guys that are LG gurus is to use a flat gear belt.
    I was using a 50# LG this past weekend driven with a 1" gear belt.
    No slippage, runs true on the wheel, and lots of diameter options for the motor side.

This is a much better option to me than using v-belts.

In a few months my friend will have his 250# LG operational!! Can't wait to see that baby in action.
    That's some serious whomp there.....
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 09-10-2014, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Originally posted by T.Hoffman View Post
    Here's a questions for you V-belt gurus.

Most people run these old flat-belt LG's off a 1725rpm motor with a couple of B-size belts, some mention A-belts.

Trying to get the final drive rpm's in the correct ballpark for this old girl.
    Some early literature from Little Giant says 375rpm, and I've even seen 400rpm printed.

Sid's more recent spec sheets state 275-325rpm which I think is a bit more reasonable. Can't be good for cranking this thing too fast, so I'd like to try to be in the safe window.

The outer dia of the clutch wheel where the belts ride is 10".
    Some of the B-size v-belt pulleys for sale state a diameter pitch, and mention that you can't simply use the outer or inner surface of the belt.

If my motor is 1725rpm (haven't clocked it yet), and I'm shooting for 300rpm final drive, that is a 5.75 ratio for calculations by hand.

This site has a nice looking calculator for pulley sizes and such:

http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm

So what would you approximate the "diameter pitch" of a B size v-belt riding on a 10" diameter to be?

Sid lists a generic 3" dia pulley needed for the 10" clutch wheel in this:

http://www.littlegianthammer.com/pdf...nformation.pdf

But that doesn't tell me much, seems something that large would still have a pitch diameter too big and would end up having the final rpm too fast.
    Why don't you just use a flat belt again? The advantage is you could get the ratio in one step using about a 1-1/2" diameter pulley on your motor shaft. McMaster Carr sells the belting and lacing, and the thin modern nylon belts with rubber facing work much better than the old leather belts. I have one on my South Bend lathe and it has much more power than with a leather belt.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
    I like my neighbors(all but one) but if I found a Little Giant they would just have to put up with some noise.
    Yeah but nobody would notice the gunshots!
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• michigan doug
    replied
    Awesome toy/tool. Wish I had one, but not sure where I would put it.

Mind your fingers.

doug

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    Times on your side,wait her out
    Thats funny, a friend of mine said that about a manager he had, in his words "with the age on him I'm just going to wait till he dies then piss on his grave, someone up above heard him, he went to bed that night and never woke, massive heart attack, must have been all the stress the manager was giving him!
    Its a funny old world
    Never used a power hammer but they look like they don't take prisoners!
    Imagine the vibration through the floor!
    What you want is one of those hydraulic presses they use at Sheffield forge masters, almost silent by comparison
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• BigMike782
    replied
    I like my neighbors(all but one) but if I found a Little Giant they would just have to put up with some noise.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    THUMP,THUMP,THUMP, I, THUMP,THUMP, bet the,THUMP,THUMP,THUMP, neighbors are going, THUMP, to, THUMP,THUMP, like that!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hat
    replied
    Get on Anvil Fire or UMBA and you'll have many new friends to help.

50 lbs huh ?

How close is your nearest neihbor? Hope the ground is soft in your neihborhood.
    Or you'll have knocking on your door too.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 20X ltd
    replied
    Little Giant 50 lb Hammer Find

I found a 50 lb Little Giant - needs work to become operational, but it is sweet! It is the Transition Style 1926-1941. Can any of you experts direct me to somewhere that I can find out exactly what it needs to 'live' again. Have no idea of it's value as is, it would be a unique 'battered and rustic rescued piece of history' just by itself. Love some direction please!!

Live in the great state of Utah.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    That much reduction you will probably need a double reduction for it to be practical.A jackshaft with a vee-belt drive with a 2:1 reduction to the shaft and then make up the final reduction with a flatbelt and a homebrew pulley.

Leave a comment:

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    My motor is 7/8" shaft.

Here's one I'm considering:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VBe...414?Pid=search

Having a hard time finding a B-belt pulley that small, might have to switch to A belts.
    The one above lists a 1.9" pitch dia for A-belts in the technical specifications....

Unless I make my own on the lathe.....
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 07-18-2012, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    Here's a questions for you V-belt gurus.

Most people run these old flat-belt LG's off a 1725rpm motor with a couple of B-size belts, some mention A-belts.

Trying to get the final drive rpm's in the correct ballpark for this old girl.
    Some early literature from Little Giant says 375rpm, and I've even seen 400rpm printed.

Sid's more recent spec sheets state 275-325rpm which I think is a bit more reasonable. Can't be good for cranking this thing too fast, so I'd like to try to be in the safe window.

The outer dia of the clutch wheel where the belts ride is 10".
    Some of the B-size v-belt pulleys for sale state a diameter pitch, and mention that you can't simply use the outer or inner surface of the belt.

If my motor is 1725rpm (haven't clocked it yet), and I'm shooting for 300rpm final drive, that is a 5.75 ratio for calculations by hand.

This site has a nice looking calculator for pulley sizes and such:

http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm

So what would you approximate the "diameter pitch" of a B size v-belt riding on a 10" diameter to be?

Sid lists a generic 3" dia pulley needed for the 10" clutch wheel in this:

http://www.littlegianthammer.com/pdf...nformation.pdf

But that doesn't tell me much, seems something that large would still have a pitch diameter too big and would end up having the final rpm too fast.
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    Originally posted by browne92
    Looks like I'm going to have to start watching this Craigs List thing.
    Be aware you might be starting down a very dangerous path....

Leave a comment:

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Stan
    For those interested there are plans available to build a power hammer at:

http://www.appaltree.net/rusty/index.htm
    Besides that one, also look up "Tire Hammer Plans", you'll find some very nice home made versions using a mounted rim/tire.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For those interested there are plans available to build a power hammer at:

http://www.appaltree.net/rusty/index.htm

When I had my anvil & forge that was going to be my next project, but with my trigger finger & carpel tunnel problems I decided to forgo blacksmithing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X