No announcement yet.

Bargains, Surplus, Etc. In San Francisco/San Jose Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Macona. Because this area is so populous, the surplus places tend to get picked clean of all the good stuff by the time you get there. In particular, Halted (HSC) is mainly good for buying a bunch of electronic components. Their "surplus" stuff is at relatively high prices.

Comment

Gary Aragon, at 601 Aladdin Ave in San Leandro (near off limits to Evan) is a machine dealer with a pretty good stock and reasonable prices. You can always check the SF Bay Craigslist if there's something in particular you want. Rowe Machinery, on the West Side of Santa Cruz is a good guy (Bob Rowe) with a good stock and fair prices on a wide range of machinists tools.

As noted above there are still a ton of electronics surplus (as well as office furniture) surplus places. The loss of Triangle Machinery is still lamented by many.

Comment

Well, no hints on surplus but The Tech Shop's original location is in Menlo Park.

Only a gift shop there but, I must strongly recommend going to the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale. That place is incredible and it has the fully working replica of Babbage's difference Engine 2 on display (machining content!). I missed the demo last trip but the difference engine is amazing. Also, they have a working PDP-1 mini-computer from the 1950's or 1960's. There's also the tech museum in San Jose.

Halted Surplus is in the Sunnyvale area too as everybody has mentioned. If I only had a little time though , I'd spend it at the computer history museum making sure to get there early enough to see the difference engine demonstration!

Regards,

Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          It's still funny to some people and more importantly it is a practical reality. Don't go to Oakland.
          I cannot argue with great logic. I've often found the best shopping is where recognizable Englsih is a rarity and most folks fear to tread.

Good luck, enjoy the trip, and remember that gloats require pics.

Also, if you see a Powermatic turret lathe for sale in the ghetto, we have a member looking for one.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
          X