This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    Group Builder has been active in discussion forums since 2001 and has developed the knowledge of what it takes to successfully manage a community in a wide array of verticals.
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Can someone explain the buzzwords please ? does that mean they are stand up guys ?
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    not my field but as I understand it, "markets" are classified by whether you milk many of people for a little, or a few people for allot.
    so a vertical market is composed of relatively few people you are going to pretend to fuss & faun over as you line them up for the big one
    --
    Tom C
    ... nice weather eh?

Comment

+1. Nice one Mike, a bit of common sense.

Was that a feeding frenzy I hear coming this way.

Seems to me that all clause 6.2 does is allow the site owner and users to use a post without the risk of being chased for copyright infringement. It's not the site owner being an arse-hole it's to stop the poster being an arse-hole.

Phil

6.2. By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to display, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, use, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to any and all content that you post on the Websites. If you do not wish to grant Group Builder these rights, do not submit content to the Website.

Originally posted by mikeamick
      I think I am hearing a lot of over reacting. I think that most people would be
      shocked to read/study the fine print on most registration pages.

And I believe that most people would be thrilled to have their projects
      re posted or publicized. That's why they posted the pics in the first place,
      for a justifiable gloat.

When is the last time you posted and thought .. gee I hope someone doesn't
      copy ... or .. steal this picture .. or show it to somebody else ?

I'm talking about the normal guy ... if you are truly worried about copywrite,
      then don't post.

Comment

Intelectual Property

Hi this seems to have got right under the skin of quite a number of you about who owns what.
        My understanding is that if you post on any forum then it is in the "Public Domain".
        Once you have done this them the forum has the right to use this information for their own use regardless.
        What happens when you post your life history and all you family tree on "Facebox or Twatter on any other online vacuum cleaner.
        They have enough Data to make very worth their while.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by velocette
          My understanding is that if you post on any forum then it is in the "Public Domain".
          Eric
          No, and certainly not in the case of the new HMEM because they want to impose their clause 6.2. The clause gives them specific rights and you make specific warranties that releasing to the public domain would not provide.
          Bill

Comment

The idea that just because something is in the “public domain” that copyright laws do not apply is simply not true. In fact, a lot of what copyright does cover is in the public domain: books, music, movies, newspapers, etc. The delivery method (over the internet) doesn’t change copyright law.

Being a publisher, we deal with copyright violations every day; it’s just part of the business. Because we are often on the losing end of copyright violations, we do everything we can to make sure that we are not part of the problem.

Since this thread has veered into copyright discussion, I’ll offer a little insight into how Village Press handles the issue with our books, magazines, and this board.

When it comes to the content on this board, we treat it exactly the same as we do for the magazines or books. Your words and your photos or drawings are, and always are yours. If we want to use them for something, we will obtain permission from the author, arrange compensation that works for both parties, and use the material under the rules of First North American Serial Rights. Meaning, we will have the right to publish the work for a one time use.

Should we wish to re-publish the work, we would need to go through it all over again and obtain the rights from the author. We run into this all the time with our books and do have problems with some of the older ones in tracking down the heirs to the authors so we can get rights for another run. This is one reason that some of the older Projects and Metalworking books, which are compilations of old magazine articles, may not make the list for reprinting. It’s not easy tracking down 20 authors from the 1980s.

Although we only have the rights for a one time use of the article (or post) we do retain some rights to the finished product. We retain the rights to the editing and layout work done and anyone wishing to use the article in its finished, printed form will need our permission.

Since the author retains the rights to his words and materials, anyone wishing to use the finished article will also need the author’s permission.

We hold no rights over the author’s original work though, only what was worked on and changed by us. The author is free to do whatever he wants with the material, including passing it to another magazine. However, he can’t pass the finished, edited version along without our permission.

Obviously, not everyone does things the same way, as this thread makes clear.
            George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
              Obviously, not everyone does things the same way, as this thread makes clear.
              You're one of the good guys George. I don't think we point that out often enough

The part I find unpalatable about this is that Group Builder bought the content of HMEM. That means they paid for the combined contributions of the HMEM members.
              I was explaining this to my Wife (an artist) last night, and she said: "That's like opening up a free gallery, where everyone can come to paint, and then selling off the paintings."

Exactly.

Aside from the issues I mentioned above (implied copyrights, third party posts of other people's work, etc), there's also the issue that folks like Brian, Sir John and McGyver cross-post their work on several forums. So what did Group Builder buy?
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Lazlo, I don't think you have actually read the copyright clause. All it does is ensure that the site owner can continue to make the material available to the members. The copyright still remains with the poster. Apparently it's pretty much a standard clause. To use your free art gallery analogy, all it does is prevent the artists, at some later time, demanding payment for the the showing of copies of their art or to insist on having the copies removed.

Phil

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                I was explaining this to my Wife (an artist) last night, and she said: "That's like opening up a free gallery, where everyone can come to paint, and then selling off the paintings."

Exactly.

Aside from the issues I mentioned above (implied copyrights, third party posts of other people's work, etc), there's also the issue that folks like Brian, Sir John and McGyver cross-post their work on several forums. So what did Group Builder buy?

Comment

so its a media company....anyone have a sense of the metrics around a sale like this? how do they pay? must be some activity based formula. Anyone heard a number....just wondering how lucrative the discussion business is.

I haven't been there in years, but think no less of Rich for selling it. I doubt he retired from the sale, he sold the domain which his hard work created and I could easily see it becoming too much to handle part time. After building it up, I could also see how it would be challenging to hand it over to another part timer; you;d want to lots of confidence in how your baby was to be treated

Maybe with all the other change, this would be an opportune time to introduce a model engineering sub forum here. I know lots of us like active OT disucssions that might to outsiders seem a over the top....but we could have a Model Engineering forum that woulc be no BS or OT, keep it a family type of thing. A few posters caused me to lose interest in Ricks site, and it would be good have a bit more model engineering content here. It's a subject many of us are interested in while others could care less so might do better as a sub forum.
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-19-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

think i will be moving on.................

Comment

Originally posted by philbur View Post
                      Lazlo, I don't think you have actually read the copyright clause.
                      I'm not referring to the copyright clause. Group Builder didn't buy the domain, they bought the posts that are on the HMEM domain, and traffic from the users that frequent(ed) the domain.

The equivalent would be if George sold off the contents of the Shop-Made Tools thread.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Then I don't understand how the web address is still:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com

He didn't buy one thread. It's seems to me he bought the whole web site?

Phil

I'm not referring to the copyright clause. Group Builder didn't buy the domain, they bought the posts that are on the HMEM domain, and traffic from the users that frequent(ed) the domain.

The equivalent would be if George sold off the contents of the Shop-Made Tools thread.
                        Last edited by philbur; 07-19-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

[/Quote]
                          Originally Posted by philbur

Lazlo, I don't think you have actually read the copyright clause.[/Quote]

Lazlo,

I think that in his recent post George made it clear that any property of a member here remains the property (copyright) of the member and can neither be sold or otherwise used without the written permission of the member - such as the contents of the Shop-Made Tools thread.

So that is not an issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post

I think that in his recent post George made it clear that any property of a member here remains the property (copyright) of the member and can neither be sold or otherwise used without the written permission of the member - such as the contents of the Shop-Made Tools thread.

So that is not an issue here.
                            George really is doing that.

He is selling that info, as a book. He made his intentions clear in the thread long ago. He's contacted people who posted to get permission. He's offered me a copy of the book as compensation.

That's quite fair.

Gadget builder is asking for blanket permission before you post. They also want several other rights to go with it. It looks like they can sell your posts to a third party for whatever use they have in mind. I'd hate to see my work appear in Popular Mechanics. I do not like that magazine. George's model would ask my permission. Gadget builder's model will not, and will not allow me to say "NO".

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I'm willing to bet that the people that bought it ( if that term is actually correct)
                              don't care and have nothing to do with machining.

I bet they just go around looking for sites that have huge hit counts. I suspect you
                              now are going to see a fair amount of advertising on that site. If you want to
                              complain .. that actually is something to bitch about .. grin.

They could care less about the posts or their contents. Hits is hits.
                              John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I bet they just go around looking for sites that have huge hit counts. I suspect you
                                now are going to see a fair amount of advertising on that site. If you want to
                                complain .. that actually is something to bitch about .. grin.

They could care less about the posts or their contents. Hits is hits.
                                they have stated only lurkers will see ads, signing in eliminates it.

you are right they, they don't care about the content....until for some commercial reason one day they do care.

They made one change right away, you can't go back and edit posts. don't like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X