X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danlb View Post
    George's model would ask my permission. Gadget builder's model will not
    Exactly .

They could care less about the posts or their contents. Hits is hits.
    If all they cared about was the hits, they wouldn't lock down the forum so the posters can't delete old posts, and they wouldn't ask you to waive all rights to any materials you post.

"Group Builder" was formerly "GCS Publishing" -- they specialize in "niche content." If you look at the other forums they bought, that includes wine making, Jeep Cherokees, RC planes...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ing,+Inc&hl=en
    Last edited by lazlo; 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Why do I see ads in the header and on the left side when I'm signed in??????

Pete

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
      they have stated only lurkers will see ads, signing in eliminates it.

you are right they, they don't care about the content....until for some commercial reason one day they do care.

They made one change right away, you can't go back and edit posts. don't like that.
      1973 SB 10K .
      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Does it really matter who owns the site? What does matter is if it is well managed or not, and for that you have to at least give them a chance. So if it goes commercial you get adverts, does handing the site to a person or group of persons who promise to run it for free ensure it remains well managed, not necessarily. So many other things we get for "free" actually rely on advertising. As George regularly points out, this forum only exists because it is in the owners' commercial interest, it’s part of a business. Come on guys, life’s too short.

Phil

Comment

For those who don't know it yet, Bogs has started http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php for those with an interest in model engine building. The old group is starting to reform over there.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
            Why do I see ads in the header and on the left side when I'm signed in??????

Pete
            no idea, when i sign in I get no ads, I just double checked. I also read an admins post somewhere that was the policy - ads for lurkers. I hadn't been there for ages so don't know if the ad thing is new or not; the shiny happy people mafia sort of wore me out but in fairness that's only 1% of the place. That locked post policy though will keep me away

Comment

One thing for sure is, they are very thin skinned, I noticed that the day after I signed in my Spam email grew from 50 per day to nearly 200, My email provider helps with a program (EdgeWave" that sorts out and quarantines spam and sends me the list of spam email each day. I suspected HMEM was selling email addresses (they did say they was in it for the money and nothing else). so I changed my email address to my secondary address on Yahoo.Com and guess what? Today the spam emails on Yahoo jumped from 20 per day to 175.
              I made a post in their Break Room section and some one did not like it. The post was deleted and I can't sign in any more. Has any on here noticed a change in the spam emails you receive?
              I have sent them a message but no answer.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

So far my spam count hasn't changed since logging into HMEM.

It's highly doubtful anything I've ever posted on that forum could be considered valuable enough to sell, but there's members both here and who are also members on that site that have posted many items that could have easily been a paid article for the Village Press magazines or other hobbiest type magazines. Those people freely put the time and effort into those posts and no one should be able to make a profit from their work without permission and compensation. Exactly how their new rules are worded do leave it wide open for what can be done at any time because they now "own" what all of these people have freely provided.

If we were to go back a bit, there was a forum and owner who I won't dignify by mentioning names who was pirating posts from other forums, then slapping another user name on it and passing it off as originally posted on that forum. however you personally judge it, that's theft. I'm not saying the new owners of HMEM will or will not ever sell any of the work that's been posted on that forum, but the way their new rules read, it allows them to do so without compensation to the author. Again in my definition, that's theft of something they don't have the rights to. Exactly how and why those new rules are worded that way make me really question the honesty, motives, and morality of the new owners to have them listed the way they are.

George explained very clearly what the Village Press position is, and there's nothing in his explanation that isn't more than fair. All of these forums exist and survive because of the membership and their input. Without that there's certainly no value in any forum. So it's a two way street between the forum owners and the members. I certainly wouldn't take credit for anyone's work on any job site I've ever worked at, and for any business to profit from anyone's intellectual property without that compensation is just wrong no matter how you try and justify it.

From what I see so far, there's been a few long standing members that willingly posted some very valuable information on that forum who are now banned and many posts deleted because they voiced their opinion about who really owns their work. It's easy to say that we should just be patient and wait and see what happens. But any forum that bans long standing members because they happen to have an opinion and wanting to remove their own work that for some reason doesn't agree with that new owner, is more than a bit suspect.

All forums have that list of rules that each member is required to follow. That's fine and understandable. I have my own set of rules that any forum must live up to also. My standards may not be high, but they are standards that I won't modify for anyone.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by 90LX_Notch View Post
                  For those who don't know it yet, Bogs has started http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php for those with an interest in model engine building. The old group is starting to reform over there.
                  Yep, come on in - the water's fine!
                  Tel

Comment

yep and busy already and friendly as a lot of the old mob are there
                    Pete

Comment

Anytime you/me/anyone posts something ANYWHERE on the web it is in the wild and can and will end up on many other web sites, info mining sites etc forever. If you don't want it to go somewhere else then don't post it onto the web. Trying to stop or undo someone else from taking your material, big or small, is just about impossible and very costly. Just ask the MPAA. Millions of people rob them everyday and so far everything that they have tried has failed.

That clause is probably just corporate legalese, all encompassing boilerplate, to protect them in the future from law suits, by posters, for something that they haven't thought to do yet. They are in it for the money not the hobby.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                        That clause is probably just corporate legalese, all encompassing boilerplate, to protect them in the future from law suits, by posters, for something that they haven't thought to do yet. They are in it for the money not the hobby.
                        Re-read what you wrote
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

"They are in it for the money not the hobby."

OK Lazlo, I don't get it, whats so funny
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Just registered , I have picked up a few pointers and short cuts from Bogs and others.
                            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                              Just registered , I have picked up a few pointers and short cuts from Bogs and others.
                              Michael
                              Where did you register? Bogs is a sharp guy no matter where you find him.

Comment

Flurry in the chicken coop. Another seven day wonder. Never realised how many lawyers HMEM had on board. Lock down facility is a good idea, pity HMEM didn't have its own facility for posting pictures. Would have saved the sulkies making some posts look stupid by taking their shovel of sand out of the sandpit. Yet another new forum for some to troll their builds in.

Regards Ian.
                                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X