This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazlo,
    Basically you replace the sump on the engine with this plate and run a feed and scavenge pump and send the oil to a tank.
    Helps twofold, one is you can get the car very low to the ground and secondly no flying oil cuts down internal losses.
    Used in racing a lot.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
      Lazlo,
      Basically you replace the sump on the engine with this plate and run a feed and scavenge pump and send the oil to a tank.
      Helps twofold, one is you can get the car very low to the ground and secondly no flying oil cuts down internal losses.
      Used in racing a lot.
      Yes indeed, very nice machine work. A lot of details there not shown, not too shabby for a manual machine!

In addition to J.S.'s description of the dry sump oil pan, a piece as substantial as this would also act as a bed plate for the engine block giving it somewhat more structural integrity. Another bonus in addition to the advantages already mentioned.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I aways thought that the primary function of a dry sump was to avoid loss of oil pressure due to the high G forces causing the oil to temporarily migrate to the other end/side of the sump, thus uncovering the pump inlet.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
          I was on the MEM (no H) site this morning and it looks like they're in a death match with the CNC zone for creating the most possible forum categories. They're popping up faster than summer freckles. If that keeps up I'll probably lose interest. It makes for a lot of hopping around following bunny trails just to do some casual reading and following projects in progress. CRS is bad enough already
          Sounds BAD! That is a main objection I have with any web site, too many seperate
          forums. I have only been there once and registered but if what you say is the
          direction I may not stay there. :-(
          ...Lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
            Sounds BAD! That is a main objection I have with any web site, too many seperate
            forums. I have only been there once and registered but if what you say is the
            direction I may not stay there. :-(
            ...Lew...
            I wouldn't give up too soon. It's like chalk art on the streets of New York - always a good idea to check back in to see how it's coming along

Comment

I asked Austin why he and Rick didn't do a joint announcement explaining what was going on when the changeover happened. He misinterpreted what I was asking and gave the "couldn't give any warning because people might delete content" response. I was not suggesting before-the-fact warning, but rather a "sticky" notice at the beginning of the new forum with information about the changeover.

To me, doing something like that seems so totally obvious a "damage control" step I continue to be amazed that apparently neither Austin nor Rick had any thought of it. Instead, Austin's approach seems to be, don't worry about people getting angry, they will get over it, and the ones who don't won't matter in the long run. If his stated history is reliable, he has taken over many other forums. It seems to me if he had any concern for forum members he would have figured out a way to "spin" the takeovers in such a way that at least tried to placate forum members. Making the switch a total surprise and allowing frenzied rumor and speculation before attempting a rather lame patch-up job strikes me as a really bad way to go about it.
              A
              All that is a roundabout way of saying, given the approach thus far on HMEM, I expect little concern for forum members.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

How or even if that one little detail that's now part of the new rules about just who retains copyright on that forum and if it will ever be used by the new owner is the main problem. And it is the huge issue for everyone. According to the little I understand, By law the author retains that copyright, and since it's binding law and has far more legalitys than his new rule that's worth less than the electrons it takes to show it. I can sympathise with anyone who does have a problem with it. Bog's I think mentioned he had over 4,000 pictures on that site alone. By anyones standards, that's a lot of time and effort involved. Pat Jorgenson is another that downloaded a huge amount of information that could be worth a lot.

I did modify my signature line today on HMEM that most likely will get me banned the next time I post. I could care less. I saw and wouldn't be a part of the totall B.S. that happened with the Hobbled Machinist forum. Any of my posts on HMEM are worthless, but no one dictates to me that they now somehow own what I've posted. If that issue doesn't get resolved in the next week or so? I'll just pick up my marbles and go play elsewhere. We all have that freedom of choice.

Pete

Comment

Something one of my mentors taught me at a very early age,

The ass (donkey for our colonial bretheran [althought their comprehension of the word would equally apply]) in assume is U

Regards Ian.
                  You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete View Post
                    How or even if that one little detail that's now part of the new rules about just who retains copyright on that forum and if it will ever be used by the new owner is the main problem. And it is the huge issue for everyone. According to the little I understand, By law the author retains that copyright, and since it's binding law and has far more legalitys than his new rule that's worth less than the electrons it takes to show it. I can sympathise with anyone who does have a problem with it. Bog's I think mentioned he had over 4,000 pictures on that site alone. By anyones standards, that's a lot of time and effort involved. Pat Jorgenson is another that downloaded a huge amount of information that could be worth a lot.

I did modify my signature line today on HMEM that most likely will get me banned the next time I post. I could care less. I saw and wouldn't be a part of the totall B.S. that happened with the Hobbled Machinist forum. Any of my posts on HMEM are worthless, but no one dictates to me that they now somehow own what I've posted. If that issue doesn't get resolved in the next week or so? I'll just pick up my marbles and go play elsewhere. We all have that freedom of choice.

Pete
                    Unlike some, I did upload a significant amount of material to the old forum in the way of model engine drawings, but specifically noted on the post and on the drawings themselves that they were "Not for Commercial Use or Sale".
                    So yes, I had to insist that someone respond to my request about removing my drawings.
                    Numerous requests were finally met with a note from the admin person to contact a P.O. Box (which I did), and a permaban.

What a way to start a new forum, and what a way to treat long time contributors. Gosh.

I find the new terms of service unacceptable from a number of standpoints, but othes have stated they like the new TOS.
                    If you want to agree to TOS like that, then I guess you will get exactly what you wish for.

I did a quick survey of some of the statistics of my posts on HMEM, and on the Draftsight post that I contributed heavily too, and between my few posts, and the Draftsight post, there are over 100,000 views.
                    How many of the 100,00 are legitimate, I don't know.

Other contributors had 100,000 or more views on a single post, and I feel for these folks, but maybe they are all warm and fuzzy with the change of ownership.

It did get a lot from the other forum, and so I left my significant posts on that site dealing with 2D CAD tutorials, 3D modeling, etc.

Locking old posts on a site (or new ones for that matter) is not a method I would prescribe to, and probably not a good way to retain old contributors.
                    It almost seems like the work of the established guys is now being used for new people who want to view it.
                    Not sure how much new good material will transpire though given the history of what has happened on that site.

My drawings were offered to the old site in the spirit of keeping them available to modelers, and free of commercialization.
                    That spirit was violated, and that is why I asked that they be removed, and why I will insist that they remain removed.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion and misplaced acrimony between members across forums.
                    Lots of bitterness all around.

I have perhaps 500 hours invested into two sets of drawings, and while these drawings do not represent museum quality engines, they are fairly unique, and I think significant to some extent in the modeling world.

My drawings remain free, non-commercial, and available to all who will use them for purposes other than commercial uses.

Pat J
                    Last edited by PatJ; 07-25-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

guys anyone in the USA know of the data protection requirements re removing personal data from data bases ( web site )

the reason I ask is because I have asked Austin though the contact form at the bottom of the front page twice now and all i get back is i do not have permission to do a take down ( note I am not asking for the posts to be removed ) just my personal info email address ect

after the first request they say they had closed the acct but I am getting pm emails from a guy called ironclad but a quick look as a lurker does not show up a user by that name

so any ideas as to the way forwards

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Blackadder View Post
                        I am getting pm emails from a guy called ironclad

Stuart
                        Just let a guy with that user name in yesterday, haven't seen anything from him yet. Let me know via a PM if there is anything about him I may want to know. Thanks
                        George
                        Traverse City, MI

Comment

George

I am a Moderator at HMEM and MadModder. Yesterday we banned Ironclad. We had a report from one of the HMEM members that he had received an e-mail from Ironclad with links to Nelsons forum. We suspect that it may have been our famous lawyer friend from NY city that sent it. He was using a disposable e-mail and the IP was from Russia. I would love to be able to prove who in fact sent it but that will be pretty hard to do.

Cheers

Don
                          Good, better, best.
                          Never let it rest,
                          'til your good is better,
                          and your better best

Comment

Originally posted by dsquire View Post
                            George

I am a Moderator at HMEM and MadModder. Yesterday we banned Ironclad. We had a report from one of the HMEM members that he had received an e-mail from Ironclad with links to Nelsons forum. We suspect that it may have been our famous lawyer friend from NY city that sent it. He was using a disposable e-mail and the IP was from Russia. I would love to be able to prove who in fact sent it but that will be pretty hard to do.

Cheers

Don
                            Thanks for that info; I had my doubts when I let him in. Your thoughts about our lawyer friend are probably spot on. No way to prove it but it does fit his MO.
                            George
                            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                            X