Drill Doctor? Looking at a drill bit sharpener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Doctor? Looking at a drill bit sharpener

Craigslist has a Drill doctor with chucks to grind small to 3/4" drill bits. Anyone have one of these? I have a whole bucket of dull and broken bits that need sharpened. Thinking about picking this up to get the lot sharp again.
    If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

https://www.facebook.com/WDHSTechClub

I've got a drill doctor, but I think it only goes to 1/2", works great. Needs a bit of learning to get the feel of the sharpening guide cam, and if the bit is broken, you need to eyeball a grind first on a wheel, then do the doctor. The setting of each grind is only good for about 1/16" of grinding, then you need to reset the bit in the holder. Smaller than 1/16" I've never tried to sharpen.

Comment

Supossidly the newer ones have some improvements. The old one that I have only goes to 1/2" and has earned its keep. It does take some fiddeling to get the feel for it. If the price is reasonable try it. If not buy a newer one and keep one eye open for a real drill sharpner.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

I've had the 750X which sharpens up up 3/4" drill bits for a few years. It works, but mine at least is nowhere near as 'set and forget' as their blurb would have you believe, though with a little finessing you will be able get good results from it on blunt bits. For broken bits, you will have grind them to a semblance of shape before finishing them in the DD.

Comment

I used to have buckets of dull drills,then I bought a Drill Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher View Post
            and keep one eye open for a real drill sharpner.
            What's a real sharpener? Maybe I'd rather buy that.

Comment

http://www.darex.com/index.php?optio...id=67&Itemid=2

I am like a kid with his nose plastered to the window at the candy store. I can't afford what I would like to have. The industrial type sharpners do turn up at a bargain price ocassionally.

Locally which is a rural environment 50 miles NW of Austin, we used to have a very good tool sharpening service. The guy was both technically qualified and a very personable individual. He made the rounds of machine shops and provided both convenience and well sharpened tools. When he tried to retire he sold and took back the business several times. Ultimately his tools were sold off. I sure would have liked to have some of them.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

I too have the 750 model and find it easy to use and it does a very good job.

Comment

I have the older 750 and it has worked well for me. For home shop thay are fine.
                  Craftsman 101.07403
                  Grizzly G0704
                  4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

It's a Drill Doctor 750 for $65

Comment

Originally posted by Ggerg1186 View Post
                      It's a Drill Doctor 750 for $65
                      That's less than 1/2 the price of a new one. If it's in good condition go for it.

Comment

For $65 it would be a good buy if it's in decent shape.
                        Keep in mind it may very well be in need of a new grinding wheel. Although you can turn them around on the spindle for additional use.
                        They are available in two grades, 100 grit, and 180 grit.
                        I believe they usually go for about $20 a piece.

They do take a bit of finesse in order to produce repeatable results, but with a bit of practice they can be a useful tool.
                        I would think you should be able to acquire some additional info and a manual from their website.
                        http://www.drilldoctor.com/

Ironically the Darex that Boucher linked to is the same company that produces the Drill Doctor.
                        Last edited by Willy; 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I bought some DD diamond grinding wheels on ebay for maybe $16 ... I think you can get them down to ~ 80 grit.

Comment

I have the 500. It works great.

Comment

I had a 750 Drill Doctor and it was OK. Then I got the "new improved" version and gave my 750 to a friend. The new one turned out to be junk so I got another 750 off Ebay for about $75. It works better than the first one I had. It does OK, but I haven't been able to find any drill sharpeners between that and the $1500 ones. It would be nice if someone made one with a decent size motor that would do split points for around $500.

Comment

Working...
                              X