Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Community Survey...Anybody else get this POS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Community Survey...Anybody else get this POS?

What an invasion of privacy. Why the hell does the government need to know how many flush toilets I have or what time I leave for work? According to the Constitution, Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution the only information they are empowered to request is the number of people residing at a residence.

We had one ages ago, wanted to know who lived there so i put Me, ower Gert and Graham White as the Old English Sheepdog is gray and white.

Still get junk mail addressed to Graham White....................................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

No..............

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

I'd ask them what a flush toilet was. Is that like a royal flush in poker?
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

No I have not received one. You may be interested in reading this article: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...linds-business

Comment

Typical i think.

Just don't respond to it. Over the years i've had numerous types of questions, i just toss them into the stove.

Comment

Maybe the US government is going to balance the budget by selling your personal info to marketers.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Would you believe this:

"The Department of Commerce has stated that those who receive a survey form are legally obligated to answer all the questions as accurately as possible. Those who decline to complete the survey may receive follow-up phone calls and/or visits to their homes from Census Bureau personnel. Section 221 of Title 13 U.S.C., makes it a misdemeanor to refuse or willfully neglect to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers and imposes a fine of not more than $100. This fine was changed by the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 from $100 to not more than $5,000."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey

California has a every 5 year 'state census' that's a lot like this as to invasive questions. The solution in both cases, is that business are not required to take part. So may all your addresses be business addresses...

Of course YMMV, and all the usual disclaimers apply.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding that attitude.
                  Everyone loves to complain about how the government spends their tax dollars.
                  The American Community Survey was setup to gather information that can be used to direct some of that money in more effective ways.

Comment

From http://www.businessweek.com/articles...linds-business
                    The ACS—which has a long bipartisan history, including its funding in the mid-1990s and full implementation in 2005—provides data that help determine how more than $400 billion in federal and state funds are spent annually.
                    I can't help but think that they should have determined where those funds were going to be spent before they gave them out...

Comment

Did it come via registered mail? If not, it didn't actually get there, did it? My shredder is a very hungry machine, and it loves stuff like this. One of my colleagues was laid off for a while and took a job as a census canvasser. He suggested that everyone throw forms like this away, because it creates work for people like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                        No I have not received one. You may be interested in reading this article: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...linds-business
                        Thanks for the link. Yes, I've read that. One thing that stands out from the article is this; “The loss of the American Community Survey will cause chaos and inefficiency in the operations of business and government in the U.S.,”. Like this is going to help. It's just invasive. If you get a chance to peruse an actual copy of the survey you'd be astounded by some of the questions they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by spongerich View Post
                          I have a hard time understanding that attitude.
                          Everyone loves to complain about how the government spends their tax dollars.
                          The American Community Survey was setup to gather information that can be used to direct some of that money in more effective ways.
                          I don't know. Maybe your location on the east coast has rendered your sense of privacy and general mistrust of our government inert. They're going to continue to take my tax dollars and spend them on ways that increases their power over the non-tax paying citizens (and even non-citizens) so why make it easier to identify whose is actually footing the bill in this country so they can in turn take MORE of my money? That's really what this is all about. They don't need to know ANY more than how many people are living under my roof, as outlined in the constitution for apportionment of House seats. Anything else is just meddling for the sake of redistribution.

Comment

[QUOTE=spongerich;786660
                            The American Community Survey was setup to gather information that can be used to direct some of that money in more effective ways.[/QUOTE]

I can see how something like knowing how many kids you have in school as important, for funding etc., but how is the number of toilets in your house relevant to anything.
                            Just so you know you country isn't the only one with this problem.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

There's three possible answers to the the American Community Survey.

One is to check into its bonefides and if satisfied fill out the information requested. Another is to check into its bonefides and if not satisfied decline for what ever reason motivates you. Those two are adult, rational, and reasonable responses.

The third is to fly off into a "Government intrusion" rant mouthing phrases taken from nutcase radio shows. That solves nothing and exposes you as just another touchy screwball.

It was mentioned the survey is another attempt to excract more taxes from the citizen. What's wrong with that? Are you a freeloader? Have you looked at the deficit? The National Debt? The USA has but two revenue streams, taxes and fees. The so called entitlement revenue is dedicated to pay-forward annuiities and services and is not to be lumped into the General Fund. In case anyone has forgotten, defecits arise when spending exceeds revenues. If spending goes up then taxes should go up. Taxes has become such a hot-button issue bo politican dares to even mention taxation.

Back in the Eisenhower Admin Federal Budgets were in the 300B range and deficits were in the $300M range. The tax rates ran into the 90% of taxible income. Skilled workers bought houses in the burbs, sent their kids to college and bought small luxuries like TV sets and power mowers. Mom stayed home and the bane of school administration was chewing gum in class. What's different now? Tax rates. No-one wants to pay taxes especialy those who can afford to pay more. They are not job creators, they are hoarders. Nothing trickles down from them but exculpatory propaganda. How much is enough? To a hoarder there is never "enough". We have all heard of people who hoard old cars, cats, knick-knacks. Another kind hoards money in numbered accounts and theirs is the same kind of obsession as the wierd lady down the street with blankets over the windows.

Don't get me wrong. Rich people deserve to live richly but they have to share the pain of supporting the institutions that keep it all running.

When I pay my taxes I get roads, schools, police and fire, avenues of complaint and redress, a system of responsive government etc. It's really a bargain. Without Government we get Somalia.

Reagan did us no favors when he announced "The Government does solve problems, Government IS the Problem." Irational resentment soared overnight

I'm a citizen and I vote. When I vote I don't vote for the guy with glib solutions and bumper stcker talkng points. I vote for the candidates I perceive to be practical problem solvers. If you don't like the Governent you got blame your vote not a boogeyman "Government".

A cartoon character said it best: "We have met the enemy and they is us."
                              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X