Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make the most of your shop space

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_paradox
    I am pertty sure this holds the solution to packing yet more tools into our shops.. Im just not exactly sure how to impliment it!
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Yehbut.... It would be awkward working in a shop where the larger tools are zipping around at some appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

-DU-

Comment

If the walls of the garage are made of solid cement 23.5 inches thick, then any length of ladder will fit, provided it's moving fast enough. This gets us into a whole new class of metalworking- HSIF (high speed impact forming). It might be appropriate for making hit-n-miss engines. With your material moving that quickly, sometimes you'll hit, sometimes you'll miss.

If the workshop is really too small, then you need to carry a small ladder inside (a step ladder will do) then cause it to expand in all directions at once at a good fraction of the speed of light. It will become part of the workshop, but it won't matter as you'll never find a piece of it big enough to see anyway. Come to think of it, you'll never find a piece of the workshop or any of the tools in it either. But you will have lots of space.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Does this mean that I can get a 20" x 60" lathe into a 10' sq. shop.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
          Does this mean that I can get a 20" x 60" lathe into a 10' sq. shop.
          Yes, you'll need a VFD that can get it up to a Ghz however.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

..so when my customer says that some feature of a part is too big, I shall just answer that he/she is not moving fast enough while measuring
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

ranks right up there with "board stretchers".

Comment

Working...
              X